2015 surprise Fantasy Stud/Fantasy Dud

For those who play Fantasy Football...

Who is a surprise fantasy stud for 2015? How about a surprise dud?

There are some former "duds" like Spiller who switched teams and now might be studs in a new offense suited to his stengths, but won't go that high due to previous seasons of low production. Then you have guys like OBJ who were studs last year but might be doubled this year and some production could go to Cruz.

Those are mine ;)

Edited by YoloinOhio

Stud: Melvin Gordon (he's going to be a star IMO).

Dud: DeMarco Murray (won't get as many touches, and will be longing for his old o-line).

im already thinking about taking both him and Le'Veon Bell. Thinking Bell could go 2nd round due to his 3 game suspension but that I could make it up with Gordon until he gets back. Edited by YoloinOhio

Stud:

Devonta Freeman RB Falcons

Charles Johnson WR Vikings

Travis Kelce TE Chiefs

Duds:

Marshawn Lynch--no Unger; they continue to want Wilson to be more the focal point; look for less carries

Darren McFadden---you better draft Joe Randle to; their oline coach Callahan went to the Skins. No way they're running the ball like they did in '14

Edited by Big Blitz

I'm sticking to the definition of "surprise" and going with Cody Lattimer of Denver.

With Welker and J. Thomas gone and Sanders playing a greater role from the slot, someone is going to fill that void.

i am really interested to see how he does. He has good size and speed but he's a guy who had some trouble getting separation in college and didn't do much last year. In Denver it's all about whether Peyton trusts you. I would draft him late just for the reasons you stated. In fact, I was planning on taking a later flier on Jeff Heuerman before he tore his ACL because I thought he could be productive in that offense right away. In that same vein, Virgil Green could be a TE to take in the 5th round or so. Edited by YoloinOhio

Spiller is in line for a huge year (especially in a PPR league).

Since you already named him I will go elswhere. Stud: Todd Gurley - I know that he is not off the radar that far but I am thinking 1300-1500 yards and 10 TDs. He is an absolute monster.

Dud: Brees - he is by no means a dud but he is going to be overdrafted. The Saints are not going to just wing it like in recent years. Brees will still be a top 5-7 guy but not top 2 like he has been for the last bunch of years.

Spiller is in line for a huge year (especially in a PPR league).

Since you already named him I will go elswhere. Stud: Todd Gurley - I know that he is not off the radar that far but I am thinking 1300-1500 yards and 10 TDs. He is an absolute monster.

Dud: Brees - he is by no means a dud but he is going to be overdrafted. The Saints are not going to just wing it like in recent years. Brees will still be a top 5-7 guy but not top 2 like he has been for the last bunch of years.

i can see the Saints going more run heavy (similar to what Denver started to do last season) but the pass rushes in the NFC south are just so lacking. For example, the DL depth chart in TB is:

George Johnson

Jacquies Smith (cut by Bills last year)

William Gholston

T.J. Fatinikun

Larry English

Nick Toon as a sleeper, 3rd WR New Orleans, and Owen Daniels, TE Denver.

Not really a dud, but I don't like Eddie Lacy #1 overall. Prefer him around #10, they are too pass oriented so that he pays dividends week 8 and after, not consistent enough.

I like Gordon and Perryman on the Chargers. Good duo, great value, good match for the team and system. Both will do well.

Funchess is going to get a lot of hype with Benjamin - and just like him a lot of garbage yards and meaningless stats. Olsen, Benjamin and Funchess are a good mix. They need a RB - Stewart is garbage, I would love to try to get a 5th or 6th for sending Bryce Brown down there. Or a 3rd for Dixon.

Kevin White could be interesting, like Funchess, getting scrap yards in Chicago.

David Johnson in Arizona will definitely make some highlights. Northern Iowa. DIII.

I also like Justin Hardy from ECU in Atlanta. May not ever be an allstar, but he will be a solid NFL player.

Not really a dud, but I don't like Eddie Lacy #1 overall. Prefer him around #10, they are too pass oriented so that he pays dividends week 8 and after, not consistent enough.

Gotta believe Brees will be able to do something this year in NO. Yeah, arguably their line is better but Brees regressed a lot and they lost Graham. Sure, more opportunity for others, but they still have Kenny Stills.

i had Lacy last year as my #1 RB. Had the concussion issue early and did nothing but then was money later in the season (as you said). I also had Jeremy Hill from Cincy and he pretty much is the reason I won my league.

Kenny Stills is a Dolphin now, I also like him.

forgot that. Huge trade, bad decision. Stills in NO is nothing like he will be in Mia. Tannehill and the system cannot get to where NO is easily, but I see promise on Tannehil to be a servicble QB somewhere above Pennington and below McNabb.

Stud: Latavius Murray - He's a freakshow (230 lbs and fast) and will easily beat out TRent 2.7. Oakland added some weapons on the outside with Cooper and Crabtree, so he should find some good lanes. If anyone watched the Chiefs game, he showed he can be a home run hitter.

Dud: Won't be a popular opinion here, but I don't think I'm going near Shady unless he drops to the back half of round 1. I also think Emmanual Sanders feels like a good bet to disappoint considering ESPN has him as the #13 WR (a WR #1 depending on your league depth) and I expect the Broncos to run A LOT and try to minimize the hits on Peyton as much as possible.

Landry will get all the underneath looks while Parker is drawing rave reviews in Dolphins camp, considering they added Jordan Cameron as well, there's a lot of mouths of feed for Stills to make too big a fantasy impact.

This year feels like it'll be tougher than others.

Last year I grabbed Beckham in all 3 leagues about 2 weeks before he got back (right before Cruz got injured) and he took me to 2 championships (1 win, 1 loss). This year, I am going to let people overdraft him. With Cruz back, he will still get big targets, and will still generate tons of points, but it won't be the 11 targets a game he is used to getting.

stud? Maybe it is obvious, but since ESPN has him ranked as the 13th QB under Tannehill, 12 game Brady, I will say with his fresh new RB, and stevie johnson, he will be better than last year.

Seriously, how can ESPN project Brady to have 20 more points than last year with 4 less games? In that case he will have to raise his points per game from 16.68 to 23.91. I know people think he will be playing mad, but really?

Edited by What a Tuel

Disagree. I think Brees to tannehill is a huge drop off. Tannehill is a dink and dunker. While Brees is slowing down, he is still one of the best deep passers in the league.

In every PPR league, I will own Spiller. I think Cam Newton and Russell Wilson will be top 5 qbs. Clay will be a top 5 TE. As much as I hate it, Adrian Peterson will have a monster year because he will get a ton of catches.

Maclin will be a dud because of Smith.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

This year feels like it'll be tougher than others.

Last year I grabbed Beckham in all 3 leagues about 2 weeks before he got back (right before Cruz got injured) and he took me to 2 championships (1 win, 1 loss). This year, I am going to let people overdraft him. With Cruz back, he will still get big targets, and will still generate tons of points, but it won't be the 11 targets a game he is used to getting.

stud? Maybe it is obvious, but since ESPN has him ranked as the 13th QB under Tannehill, 12 game Brady, I will say with his fresh new RB, and stevie johnson, he will be better than last year.

Seriously, how can ESPN project Brady to have 20 more points than last year with 4 less games? In that case he will have to raise his points per game from 16.68 to 23.91. I know people think he will be playing mad, but really?

Rivers is a good pick but I wonder if SD is going to try to run the ball a lot with Gordon which will take away some of his passing stats. Last year I had Stafford and he was medicore with Megatron hurt so much. I traded for Big Ben on Stafford's bye week and that was a great move. I think both he and Luck will have big fantasy seasons because their OCs are very aggressive in the passing game and their WR core is so good. A "dark horse" so to speak is Flacco, because Trestman is the OC there now and he loves airing it out.

Rivers is a good pick but I wonder if SD is going to try to run the ball a lot with Gordon which will take away some of his passing stats. Last year I had Stafford and he was medicore with Megatron hurt so much. I traded for Big Ben on Stafford's bye week and that was a great move. I think both he and Luck will have big fantasy seasons because their OCs are very aggressive in the passing game and their WR core is so good. A "dark horse" so to speak is Flacco, because Trestman is the OC there now and he loves airing it out.

Flacco is a great call. I won't have minded Trestman here. I think he is going to be a great offensive coordinator for them. The only thing with Flacco is he will have a monster game and then follow it up with a dud. So hard to trust. A good draft plan might be to draft the cheating devil (Brady) and Flacco. You should be able to get Brady a little later and Flacco will go in the middle rounds. If Flacco gets off to a great start, he could be a great trade chip.