The press speculates on EJ's future

Matt Cassel is a one dimensional QB and Roman (with Harbaugh of course) has already proven that he prefers a multi-dimensional QB over a one dimensional QB (Smith/Kaepernick).

So expect either Taylor or Manuel to win the starting job, whoever doesn't win it will be the backup and Cassel will be the 3rd string QB in case of an emergency meltdown of both athletic QBs ahead of him. Rex isn't afraid of letting coaches and players be free to do what they do. There's no doubt in my mind that Greg Roman plans on a triple option offense where the defense has to make split decisions in accounting for Watkins, Harvin, McCoy, Clay and either Manuel or Taylor running the ball in the open field. Cassel doesn't have the speed or athletic ability to execute it (his joke about being "catlike out there" might be a tip off that the QB has to be athletic and mobile in this new offense). Now if this new offense doesn't work by mid season, then you are talking about the Bills possibly going to the traditional ground and pound with Cassel entering the picture as the starting QB.

BTW, if both Manuel and Taylor look horrible in training camp and preseason games then the Bills would probably go straight to starting Cassel. So that is a valid option where Cassel would become the starter and they would just pretty much scrap the triple option offense all together. I just don't think that either Manuel or Taylor will look bad enough to scrap it.

So forget about who you want to win the job for a second- you're telling me that if you could win $1 million right now for you and your family by correctly predicting the Bills' opening day starter that you would take EJ Manuel over Matt Cassel? Wow. You are in the vast minority I would have to think. And another thing, just because the 49ers drafted Colin Kaepernick and he had a couple good years while Greg Roman was the offensive coordinator there, doesn't necessarily mean that that is the type of QB that Roman prefers. It's like the chicken and the egg. Just because the Colts took Andrew Luck doesn't mean the Colts prefer a traditional pocket passer. He was the best QB available, just like Kaepernick was when the 49ers took him. And obviously once they had him, they're going to tailor the offense to suit his strengths. You're basically saying that right now, every scrambling QB in the league's offensive coordinator prefers a scrambling QB and every pocket passing QB's offensive coordinator prefers a pocket passer.

EDIT: So throw all this stuff out the window. They're gonna go with the QB who gives them the best chance to win, period. And for EJ Manuel to prove that he will give the Bills a better chance to win than a guy who has had two pretty damn good seasons in this league is going to be an uphill battle for him. In fact, I am inclined to disagree with you and say that a tie is going to go to Cassel.

EDIT #2: And why does an immobile QB necessarily translate to this boring "ground and pound" offense you speak of while a mobile QB necessarily translates to some wild and crazy offense? Why can't Matt Cassel throw the ball a lot or why couldn't Tyrod Taylor hand off the ball a lot? There are immobile QB's in this league right now who throw the ball all over the field and mobile QB's who run conservative offenses. Personally I think their offense is going to be pretty conservative regardless of who wins the job.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Cassel is a one dimensional QB and Roman (with Harbaugh of course) has already proven that he prefers a multi-dimensional QB over a one dimensional QB (Smith/Kaepernick).

So expect either Taylor or Manuel to win the starting job, whoever doesn't win it will be the backup and Cassel will be the 3rd string QB in case of an emergency meltdown of both athletic QBs ahead of him. Rex isn't afraid of letting coaches and players be free to do what they do. There's no doubt in my mind that Greg Roman plans on a triple option offense where the defense has to make split decisions in accounting for Watkins, Harvin, McCoy, Clay and either Manuel or Taylor running the ball in the open field. Cassel doesn't have the speed or athletic ability to execute it (his joke about being "catlike out there" might be a tip off that the QB has to be athletic and mobile in this new offense). Now if this new offense doesn't work by mid season, then you are talking about the Bills possibly going to the traditional ground and pound with Cassel entering the picture as the starting QB.

BTW, if both Manuel and Taylor look horrible in training camp and preseason games then the Bills would probably go straight to starting Cassel. So that is a valid option where Cassel would become the starter and they would just pretty much scrap the triple option offense all together. I just don't think that either Manuel or Taylor will look bad enough to scrap it.

You'd think Roman would've learned to not take mobility over pocket passer.

You'd think Roman would've learned to not take mobility over pocket passer.

Why, because of all that lack of success (i.e., three straight NFC championship games) he experienced with the very mobile Alex Smith and Kaep?

Why, because of all that lack of success (i.e., three straight NFC championship games) he experienced with the very mobile Alex Smith and Kaep?

This is just such a pointless debate. Greg Roman is not going to go with a guy who is worse at quarterback because he can move more. He is going to go with the guy who appears to be the best at playing quarterback. Anyone who goes around seeking a certain type of player to fit schemes and not the best player is not going to make it very far in the NFL. They started playing Kaepernick over Smith because he was better, not because they were trying to force a scrambling QB onto the field. You guys act like Kaepernick was a one trick pony; he also threw the ball better than Alex Smith (although not anymore he doesn't). Now if two players are equal at everything else and one guy can move a lot more, that is a different conversation. But as you will all see as this offseason unfolds, EJ Manuel is not going to have the decision making abilities or accuracy that "Meh" Cassel possesses and they're not going to hand the job to a guy just because he can run better. You'll see.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

So forget about who you want to win the job for a second- you're telling me that if you could win $1 million right now for you and your family by correctly predicting the Bills' opening day starter that you would take EJ Manuel over Matt Cassel? Wow. You are in the vast minority I would have to think. And another thing, just because the 49ers drafted Colin Kaepernick and he had a couple good years while Greg Roman was the offensive coordinator there, doesn't necessarily mean that that is the type of QB that Roman prefers. It's like the chicken and the egg. Just because the Colts took Andrew Luck doesn't mean the Colts prefer a traditional pocket passer. He was the best QB available, just like Kaepernick was when the 49ers took him. And obviously once they had him, they're going to tailor the offense to suit his strengths. You're basically saying that right now, every scrambling QB in the league's offensive coordinator prefers a scrambling QB and every pocket passing QB's offensive coordinator prefers a pocket passer.

EDIT: So throw all this stuff out the window. They're gonna go with the QB who gives them the best chance to win, period. And for EJ Manuel to prove that he will give the Bills a better chance to win than a guy who has had two pretty damn good seasons in this league is going to be an uphill battle for him. In fact, I am inclined to disagree with you and say that a tie is going to go to Cassel.

EDIT #2: And why does an immobile QB necessarily translate to this boring "ground and pound" offense you speak of while a mobile QB necessarily translates to some wild and crazy offense? Why can't Matt Cassel throw the ball a lot or why couldn't Tyrod Taylor hand off the ball a lot? There are immobile QB's in this league right now who throw the ball all over the field and mobile QB's who run conservative offenses. Personally I think their offense is going to be pretty conservative regardless of who wins the job.

YES YES YES

EJ will be the #1 QB opening day

and KO did not give the Bills its best chance at winning otherwise the Bills would have defeated the Raiders and the Bronco's and KC and the 2nd Miami game!

They would have scored points against the Pats scrubs in week 17 not ZERO

So a guy who can't even lead his team to .500 is better than a guy who basically retired on active duty but was 2 games over .500?

What logic is that? So we should just let the Cubs into the playoffs even if they finish behind the Mets in wild card because you say so?

And the guy over .500 only played scrubs like Green Bay, Detroit and KC, all of who were over .500 and 2 of which made playoffs.

The guy under .500 played Chicago, Houston, Miami and SD, none of which made playoffs.

when one is a ROOKIE playing for a HC who couldn't decide what offense to run consistently other than VANILLA - HELL YES you go with that logic.

AND what you guys keep forgetting is that the O ranking dropped from 22nd WITH EJ to 29th with KO!!!!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

so the latest from Rex per Bills.

Manuel is seeing the whole field and quickly. Thats a point we have all discussed i think. This is a big deal in my mind. A significant positive.

what isnt said was that he was accurate.

Thats what was said M Cassel. specifically. But had not been throwing deep though.

Tyrod gets air under the ball and floats them.

Thats the latest from Rex.

Rex gives us just enough to get spun positives. Rex Ryan is one of my favorite coaches right now because of the words he says. and the words he does not say.

I have my limited opinion on these QBs.

But, EJ has improved with one of his weaknesses , slow eyes lol ,and still has the accuracy issue to deal with still.

Cassels is a steady pro.

Tyrod? we are not going to tell you anything we dont have to. looking forward to training camp to see whats the real deal !

You can pick on a lot of points of logic in this thread...this particular point isn't one of them.

I mean, I suppose he's mobile. So is Aaron Rodgers. Especially compared to a statue like Brady. But very mobile? Sounds more like a Wilson, Newton, Kaep type. IMO. List your "very mobile" QB's in today's NFL. You put Smith on that list?

YES YES YES

and KO did not give the Bills its best chance at winning otherwise the Bills would have defeated the Raiders and the Bronco's and KC and the 2nd Miami game!

when one is a ROOKIE playing for a HC who couldn't decide what offense to run consistently other than VANILLA - HELL YES you go with that logic.

AND what you guys keep forgetting is that the O ranking dropped from 22nd WITH EJ to 29th with KO!!!!

We didn't win all our games with Orton, ergo he wasn't the best QB on the roster.

Edited by FireChan

YES YES YES

So what you are telling me is that the Bills not only would have won the 7 out of 12 games they did with Orton but they also would have won an additional 4 games? So the guy that we all saw play about as bad as a QB could possibly play in his last two starts (while scoring a QBR in the single digits in both games- Orton didn't score a QBR in the single digits all season) would have gone 11-1 in the last 12 games? Seriously dude, are you for real or are you the world's most clever troll? And not sure why I even bother fact checking you anymore but the Bills' offense finished 26th. Who are you? I must confess, I am somewhat fascinated by you.

YES YES YES

I didnt know kyle orton played defense during the raiders game. He must have been tasked with stopping the run since you tied the loss to him.

I seriously doubt he'll be cut. His contract is guaranteed so if they wanted to move on from him, they would still keep him as a third string QB and let the contract run out for the last two years, then release him.

What team in the NFL would trade for him? I doubt any which is the only way I see EJ off this team this year.

you mean like when we traded with philly for a pro bowl RB ?

So Kiko, who was DROY runner up, is now comparable to a QB who sucks(your words, not mine)?

I think you are missing the point, if Manuel sucks why would the Eagles want to give up anything for him let alone a pro bowler? The gave up McCoy because they wanted to a. unload his contract and b. were getting a very promising, somewhat unproven, player for their very weak defense.

I mean, I suppose he's mobile. So is Aaron Rodgers. Especially compared to a statue like Brady. But very mobile? Sounds more like a Wilson, Newton, Kaep type. IMO. List your "very mobile" QB's in today's NFL. You put Smith on that list?

We didn't win all our games with Orton, ergo he wasn't the best QB on the roster.

yes yes we all know now that you admit KO wasn't the answer yet EJ sux...

Meh = KO yet EJ sux...

Tyrod has a few seasons on the bench yet EJ sux...

we get it..... HGH

I didnt know kyle orton played defense during the raiders game. He must have been tasked with stopping the run since you tied the loss to him.

I didn't know EJ played defense in the games the team lost either

damn I need to pay attention more

So what you are telling me is that the Bills not only would have won the 7 out of 12 games they did with Orton but they also would have won an additional 4 games? So the guy that we all saw play about as bad as a QB could possibly play in his last two starts (while scoring a QBR in the single digits in both games- Orton didn't score a QBR in the single digits all season) would have gone 11-1 in the last 12 games? Seriously dude, are you for real or are you the world's most clever troll? And not sure why I even bother fact checking you anymore but the Bills' offense finished 26th. Who are you? I must confess, I am somewhat fascinated by you.

why yes, I believe that is what I said.