DB Evaluation - Is this a flaw of Rex's?

Slow period in the off season. Why not another thread?

My lone reservation with Ronald Darby being our top pick this year, granted it was 50th overall and only a 2nd round choice is Rex's history with the Jets in regard to corner backs.

2009:

The Jets had the 29th pick in round 1. This selection was used on Kyle Wilson.

Over the first 5 years with the Jets he started 28 out of 80 games. With only 1 start in the last two years. His stats are pedestrian and he is also now with the Saints.

2012:

They selected Josh Bush in the sixth round which I can't fault him for a 6th round pick not producing but he is now with Denver.

2013:

Dee Milliner was selected at #9 ahead of Sheldon Richardson the eventual Defensive Rookie of the Year. He has started 14 games the past two season and has been plagued by injury for a lot of his short career. His stats are here.

Maybe Milliner can bounce back and play well but now he is behind Revis and Cromartie and won't be looked upon as he was when he was selected 9th overall.

2014:

Brandon Dixon was selected in the 6th round and did not make the roster. Is now with Tampa Bay.

My concern is how much influence Rex had on the picks? Is what he wants to see in a cornerback just that hit or miss? Will we see Darby buck this trend or continue it?

I want Darby to contribute and succeed but while watching the Jets while Rex was in tenure I never got the feeling he developed cornerbacks well.

It is worth noting that over his years with the Jets, six I believe, they only selected 4 cornerbacks. It is also worth noting the Donnie Henderson is superior to any positional coach rex has had previously for the defensive backs.

Thoughts?

Wasn't part of the problem in NY that Rex didn't have much say over personnel and/or didn't agree with the GM? Just asking.

It was part of the problem. But that was the past few years. Not when Kyle Wilson was drafted. Which is a similar player to Dee Milliner.

I'm certainly he had a proportionate amount of input as I'm sure Rex was present in most of the draft talk/analysis. Draft picks are and should be a team decision with the ultimate call being placed on Whaley. I'm also fairly certain Whaley and the scouts didn't have another player they wanted and Rex wanted Darby so they drafted Darby.

I'm certainly he had a proportionate amount of input as I'm sure Rex was present in most of the draft talk/analysis. Draft picks are and should be a team decision with the ultimate call being placed on Whaley. I'm also fairly certain Whaley and the scouts didn't have another player they wanted and Rex wanted Darby so they drafted Darby.

That's at least two statements you're "certain" about without any basis for your certainty.

In other words, your opinion.

how it "should be" and how it actually was may have been two different things. Unless we were there on staff we really do not know what went down. There are a few picks he has actually discussed he didn't want (Stephen Hill) and did want but didn't get (Martavis Bryant).

Draft picks arent tied to the HC unless it's someone who also has FO responsibility like Belichik, Chip, Carroll, Fisher, Reid and a few others.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Most of those were low round picks, which are like scratch off tickets.

Everyone misses once in a while. One thing about Rex is that he has a consistent history of big-time defenses and this is the most talented defense he has ever had IMO.

There is no way the D goes bad with this DL, these coaches, and the players we have in the back 7. The only question is whether it is an ell-time elite D, a amazing D, or just a very very good elite D.

Everything I heard leads me to belive this was whaleys board. Doug defended that he was by far their highest rated player left at their pick.

If you belive these two things to be true, then looking at his track record of selectively building/keeping a good secondary together, I think we should expect good things.

Edit: also remember how poorly AW, McK and even Gilmore looked until they got some first rate NFL d coordinators in house.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Just trying to stimulate discussion.

how it "should be" and how it actually was may have been two different things. Unless we were there on staff we really do not know what went down. There are a few picks he has actually discussed he didn't want (Stephen Hill) and did want but didn't get (Martavis Bryant).

Draft picks arent tied to the HC unless it's someone who also has FO responsibility like Belichik, Chip, Carroll, Fisher, Reid and a few others.

I agree here. I trust in Whaley. I just remember anytime we went against the Jets I never felt intimidated by the cornerbacks behind Revis. Cromartie was good but I always thought he was overrated. When Revis left I was happy and no longer feared any of there DB's.

I'm not sure the influence Rex had in those picks but during his tenure with the Jets not one DB has seemed to pan out. So it's at least a curiosity to me.

If you change "DB evaluation" to "QB evaluation", I'm with you 100%

I was aiming for something less talked about thus far since his hiring.

Everything I heard leads me to belive this was whaleys board. Doug defended that he was by far their highest rated player left at their pick.

If you belive these two things to be true, then looking at his track record of selectively building/keeping a good secondary together, I think we should expect good things.

Edit: also remember how poorly AW, McK and even Gilmore looked until they got some first rate NFL d coordinators Donnie Henderson in house.

Fixed.