Steelers owner: Get ready for NFL games in Mexico,Germany...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL is so self-righteous and Americanly ignorant it's disturbing. The NFL in Germany, the UK, Brazil is a novelty to soccer. A team would never matter that much in the UK or Germany. Who among the Bills games would stop watching and spending on the Bills if they put a EPL team in Bflo? Not many. Plus, those heading to London in the fall who have never been there before will notice a glaring lack of people wearing any soccer jerseys, hats, shirt, etc. except at a game. The NFL is consumption based sport, concerned only with prying money from our collective wallet and maximization of profit at the detriment to the on-field product. The English have a different approach to sport than we do and they prefer class and tradition over constant rule changes. I also think the average Londoner probably would hate the 4 hour game. An EPL match is 2 hours. I love a team in the worst league in the world.

pb-120201-egypt-soccer-jb-02.photoblog90

C'mon.

Exactly! A league with such class acts as your Patriots**.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Too greedy. The NFL makes plenty of money. Enough with these international games. It's a lose, lose, lose situation for the US fans (home games and home field advantage), for the players and inevitably the NFL. There is a reason why there is no more Euro NFL.

I'm surprised that they would consider Brazil & South Korea and not Australia.

I went up to Sydney in 1999 with some mates to see the Chargers/Broncos pre-season game. Decent crowd turnout. Not great, but decent. Tickets were way overpriced which led to a vast majority of spectators being corporate non-fans. Seemed like my group were the only actual football fans there.

Some games each year in Melbourne would be awesome!

That counts as the Mexico game.

Brazil would be a party!

Re. LA, that's exactly right, AND they can't fill a stadium in LA for the NFL. Bull fighting has a better chance in LA.

Germany? The NFL Europe didn't do well there, so why consider that again?

Brazil? Oh great, an NFL game being broadcast in Portuguese. What a crowd pleaser, but the halftime shows could be very good.

That counts as the Mexico game.

Brazil would be a party!

AAAAIIIIIEEEEE!!

NFL is so self-righteous and Americanly ignorant it's disturbing. The NFL in Germany, the UK, Brazil is a novelty to soccer. A team would never matter that much in the UK or Germany. Who among the Bills games would stop watching and spending on the Bills if they put a EPL team in Bflo? Not many. Plus, those heading to London in the fall who have never been there before will notice a glaring lack of people wearing any soccer jerseys, hats, shirt, etc. except at a game. The NFL is consumption based sport, concerned only with prying money from our collective wallet and maximization of profit at the detriment to the on-field product. The English have a different approach to sport than we do and they prefer class and tradition over constant rule changes. I also think the average Londoner probably would hate the 4 hour game. An EPL match is 2 hours. I love a team in the worst league in the world.

I think it's the lack of scoring that they love about their soccer. What's not to love about 2 hours of running around ending in "naught-naught"?

I agree that may be the best way to go. Of course the NFLPA will want a reduction somewhere, like preseason. 2 pre season games and 17 regular season? Maybe an extra bye before or after an international game?

This could also open the door to NFL games in non-NFL US and Canadian cities. Places large enough to sell out 1-3 games but not worth a full time franchise. Helloooo, Toronto.

I like the idea of 3 pre-season games as we need to evaluate our young talent. We would have more than enough games to other countries. the Bills could make out with simply a game in Toronto. Seattle could go to Vancouver, San Diego to Mexico city, and so on.

I'm really against international expansion. Football is a truly American game. Not many ppl from South America or Europe follow. Why expose them to something that they'll likely not enjoy as much as their soccer games. Once again, money is the driving force. What a shame

Not a big fan of the international games... but it is cool the bills are playing in london... especially since we don't lose a home game.

But I don't see the nfl ever really gaining a foothold outside the usa other than maybe Canada and mexico. People just really don't play as American football everywhere. Now with how much is coming out about players' health and major injuries, youth participation is likely going to trend downward, even here.

hockey is played widely in europe... but despite a desire, the nhl hasn't been able to make any strides toward expanding overseas.

American football is such a strange animal. It's something that if a group of friends start a game... it resembleS little of the actual sport played on an organized level. I think that hurts it's growth in foreign lands too.

Edited by May Day 10

Not a big fan of the international games... but it is cool the bills are playing in london... especially since we don't lose a home game.

But I don't see the nfl ever really gaining a foothold outside the usa other than maybe Canada and mexico. People just really don't play as American football everywhere. Now with how much is coming out about players' health and major injuries, youth participation is likely going to trend downward, even here.

hockey is played widely in europe... but despite a desire, the nhl hasn't been able to make any strides toward expanding overseas.

American football is such a strange animal. It's something that if a group of friends start a game... it resembleS little of the actual sport played on an organized level. I think that hurts it's growth in foreign lands too.

It's the american way. This is how we play football. Now let's make sure to shove it down your throat as much as possible.

I get that a single game can be good for publicity but they are going to get to a point where no one cares about an international game.

There's so much incorrect with this I don't know where to start.

A team wouldn't matter that much in the UK? So I suppose it must be 270,000 Americans who fly over to the UK to watch the 3 games in London. Yes, they sell out and have been selling out.

And why do you think people in the UK are unable to watch/enjoy multiple sports? Do Bills fans only watch the Bills? Same goes for people in the UK. People who like football(soccer) also like rugby, cricket and <gasp> even American football.

The NFL is a consumption based sport? So is the EPL. I can tell you haven't been to England much because if you had you'd notice people have all sorts of support for their team plastered on their cars. Stickers, crap hanging in the back of their window, it's a lot more common than you seem to be implying. And just because they only wear their jersey's at the games doesn't mean they didn't pay for them. Sky TV has shows and stations devoted to the EPL where they sit and talk football(soccer) for hours. They even show old matches. Sound familiar(hint: NFL Network)? The EPL is as much a consumer driven league as the NFL.

Test cricket matches can last for days, not just hours.

C'mon.

I don't know if it is the worst league in the world but it is definately the most greedy. I honeslty think that the NFL's greed, arrogance & their endless pursuit for every last dollar could eventually be the reason for the league's demise.

I don't know if it is the worst league in the world but it is definately the most greedy. I honeslty think that the NFL's greed, arrogance & their endless pursuit for every last dollar could eventually be the reason for the league's demise.

It's actually been the engine of their success.

Unless another major American sport suddenly becomes much more popular than it is now, there is no chance the NFL will lose its complete dominance over MLB/NBA/NHL.

It's actually been the engine of their success.

Unless another major American sport suddenly becomes much more popular than it is now, there is no chance the NFL will lose its complete dominance over MLB/NBA/NHL.

Yeah, don't be so sure about that. Things change, things go in cycles. I read somewhere by 2025 of all NFL fans only 10-15% of them will have actually attended a NFL game. The NFL is pricing a lot of the fans right out of the stadium. You could nake an arguement that the NFL is a TV driven league now & you would be right but that stat should raise at least a few eyebrows in the league offices.

Yeah, don't be so sure about that. Things change, things go in cycles. I read somewhere by 2025 of all NFL fans only 10-15% of them will have actually attended a NFL game. The NFL is pricing a lot of the fans right out of the stadium. You could nake an arguement that the NFL is a TV driven league now & you would be right but that stat should raise at least a few eyebrows in the league offices.

The NFL makes the vast majority of its money hoping you stay home and watch the games on the networks that almost completely fund the league. The TV contracts are so insanely lucrative, the fans in the stand don't matter.

I would be surprised if 5% of all NFL fans attend even a single game per year, let alone "10-15% in 2025".

But even so, your claim that the NFL is pricing the fans out of the stands isn't true. The overall NFL attendance has not changed in the 7 seasons between 2008 and 2014. Despite most teams modest annual increase in prices, there was not a single blacked out game in the NFL last year. Simple supply and demand laws dictate that the market sets the price. When attendance falls, ticket prices will go down.