Steelers owner: Get ready for NFL games in Mexico,Germany...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go to a 17 game season with each team doing one International game which does not count as home or away.

That is 16 games the NFL can pump out overseas.

I agree that may be the best way to go. Of course the NFLPA will want a reduction somewhere, like preseason. 2 pre season games and 17 regular season? Maybe an extra bye before or after an international game?

This could also open the door to NFL games in non-NFL US and Canadian cities. Places large enough to sell out 1-3 games but not worth a full time franchise. Helloooo, Toronto.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just go to a 17 game season with each team doing one International game which does not count as home or away.

That is 16 games the NFL can pump out overseas.

But the current schedule format is perfect as-is. It is very precise and easy to determine year-by-year outside of the home/away part. How do they decide the matchups for the extra game? Would make more sense to me to make a preseason game international.

Or, maybe keep the 16 and just have every other year be home. So the same 16 teams get home international games in even years and the other 16 get home in odd years.

Or, better yet, stop doing international games.

Edited by Big C

No team wants to lose a home game. If 17 were to happen I could see. I remember reading an article in early spring about the NFLPA potentially wanting to increase bye weeks to two if they go to a 18 game schedule, might as well add a bye week in 17 week regular season.

Increase regular season by one, decrease preseason by one

Going to 17 games could put a game each week in LA.

What they SHOULD do IMO is to have these games as a rubber match for the divisional rivals. That would make them more interesting as that could become another tie-breaker.

IMO

I agree that may be the best way to go. Of course the NFLPA will want a reduction somewhere, like preseason. 2 pre season games and 17 regular season? Maybe an extra bye before or after an international game?

This could also open the door to NFL games in non-NFL US and Canadian cities. Places large enough to sell out 1-3 games but not worth a full time franchise. Helloooo, Toronto.

Hasn't that door already been opened?

I don't know how they would handle it, but if the Bills were always playing theirs in Toronto (and another team had to play in say, South Korea), other teams might consider that a "home field advantage"....I would.

I think it's a good concept, but only if every team has one on their schedule.

What they SHOULD do IMO is to have these games as a rubber match for the divisional rivals. That would make them more interesting as that could become another tie-breaker.

IMO

LA?

IMO

You might be on to something. What if this is the setup for London...and then a handful of games around the globe per year

The London schedule keeps increasing with games it seems. What if they do the majority of the games in England and 3 games are played around the globe. It could happen

NFL is so self-righteous and Americanly ignorant it's disturbing. The NFL in Germany, the UK, Brazil is a novelty to soccer. A team would never matter that much in the UK or Germany. Who among the Bills games would stop watching and spending on the Bills if they put a EPL team in Bflo? Not many. Plus, those heading to London in the fall who have never been there before will notice a glaring lack of people wearing any soccer jerseys, hats, shirt, etc. except at a game. The NFL is consumption based sport, concerned only with prying money from our collective wallet and maximization of profit at the detriment to the on-field product. The English have a different approach to sport than we do and they prefer class and tradition over constant rule changes. I also think the average Londoner probably would hate the 4 hour game. An EPL match is 2 hours. I love a team in the worst league in the world.

NFL is so self-righteous and Americanly ignorant it's disturbing. The NFL in Germany, the UK, Brazil is a novelty to soccer. A team would never matter that much in the UK or Germany. Who among the Bills games would stop watching and spending on the Bills if they put a EPL team in Bflo? Not many. Plus, those heading to London in the fall who have never been there before will notice a glaring lack of people wearing any soccer jerseys, hats, shirt, etc. except at a game. The NFL is consumption based sport, concerned only with prying money from our collective wallet and maximization of profit at the detriment to the on-field product. The English have a different approach to sport than we do and they prefer class and tradition over constant rule changes. I also think the average Londoner probably would hate the 4 hour game. An EPL match is 2 hours. I love a team in the worst league in the world.

Yeah, it was eye opening when an exchange student from Ireland watched an NFL game with us here. He couldn't stand or comprehend the number of commercials and commercial breaks compared to soccer haha