Nick O'Leary has tools to be a big factor in Bills offense

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasnt there something about a hurt hamstring and the 40 time....and how he didnt run at his pro day because of the hamstring?

I heard something about a hammy and I'm hoping that was the problem. Either way, I prefer football players to combine stars. I never heard a lot of excuses though, and I actually like that.

There are, maybe, 2 very good WRs on the roster, so....no.

This kid's gonna be a keeper. I'd say he will be better than anything that passed for TE on this team in years..

duly noted Weo.

and once in a blue Moon we again agree :doh:

Wasnt there something about a hurt hamstring and the 40 time....and how he didnt run at his pro day because of the hamstring?

yes its a fact. he said he would not just not run because he was hurt. thats his attitude i assumed.

and he is really not football slow anyways. We have Clay an Gray to run fast in the seam.

Gonna be a great safety valve and more

I heard something about a hammy and I'm hoping that was the problem. Either way, I prefer football players to combine stars. I never heard a lot of excuses though, and I actually like that.

Kid has the perfect Mindset for a Bills TE!! well said Augie :beer:

I've been watching Nick for years, and I think he's a tremendous athlete... However... I think he needs a "big threat" (Benjamin or Funchess) type WR opposite him in order to really thrive.... as the league's offense have gravitated towards these types of weapons, we've shyed away... A big mistake IMO... I hope Dezmin Smith makes it, but I seriously doubt it... He's BARELY practice squad material IMO... We need more size at WR for 3rd down, as well as for "toss up" red-zone situations.. Until we get that, the playoffs will be a tall order.

Edited by #34fan

I've been watching Nick for years, and I think he's a tremendous athlete... However... I think he needs a "big threat" (Benjamin or Funchess) type WR opposite him in order to really thrive.... as the league's offense have gravitated towards these types of weapons, we've shyed away... A big mistake IMO... I hope Dezmin Smith makes it, but I seriously doubt it... He's BARELY practice squad material IMO... We need more size at WR for 3rd down, as well as for "toss up" red-zone situations.. Until we get that, the playoffs will be a tall order.

So a guy like Sammy Watkins just doesnt cut it huh?....and in the red zone a guy like Clay...known for being a red zone target....doesnt cut it either?

Edited by John from Hemet

So a guy like Sammy Watkins just doesnt cut it huh?....and in the red zone a guy like Clay...known for being a red zone target....doesnt cut it either?

In a word, no.

Sammy is very good, of course, and Charles Clay has proved effective at times, but no... it's not enough to uproot the cheating juggernaut that's had a choke-hold on the division for 15 years... We need at least ONE very big guy to help our sorry QB's in the red zone... No hesitaton, just toss it up, and let the big guy go get it...It'd be nice if someone like Chris Manhertz 6'5" 260-ish developed, but that's a very long shot, IMO... We need that blunt force weapon... That Ace of spades... You can't be a "bully' in this league without the physical prowess. -Size matters.

Edited by #34fan

In a word, no.

Sammy is very good, of course, and Charles Clay has proved effective at times, but no... it's not enough to uproot the cheating juggernaut that's had a choke-hold on the division for 15 years... We need at least ONE very big guy to help our sorry QB's in the red zone... No hesitaton, just toss it up, and let the big guy go get it...It'd be nice if someone like Chris Manhertz 6'5" 260-ish developed, but that's a very long shot, IMO... We need that blunt force weapon... That Ace of spades... You can't be a "bully' in this league without the physical prowess. -Size matters.

That does not fit Roman's offense that has been very effective.

To me that is the whole reason why he is here......pure genious at running the ball and playoff/super bowl experience as a OC.

Its not just about height....its about catch radius and large bodies......in the red zone its 2 TE time.......you dont need a tall wide reciever when you have players on the field with wide catch radius.......

In a word, no.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys say hello.

Antonio Brown, all 5'10" of him, led the Steelers in red zone receiving TDs with 8. Randall Cobb, all 5'10" of him, led the NFL in red zone receiving TDs with 10. Dez Bryant, 6'2", also had 8 red zone receiving TDs.

In fact, 50% of the top ten in receiving red zone TDs are by receivers of the shorter variety.

Yes the Bills don't have a QB but the WRs I listed are dominant play makers. Scoring TDs is about getting the ball into your playmakers hands, tall or short. Good QBs know that. Proof of that is in the 50/50 split of red zone receiving TDs.

There are a lot of fans here who are gullible enough to believe the crap in the media that EJ's status as a Bill is in jeopardy because they want to believe it to be true. I think they hate on EJ because they thought he was going to become an instantly great QB like Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson. They simply ignored the stories that he was raw and would take at least two or three years to develop into a good NFL starting QB.

I'll include Vic Carruci as also being gullible, because he actually bought what the Bills were selling and put it out there in print. Vic may be a very good writer, but that story proves he can't be relied upon as a credible source of information.

I was watching First Take yesterday (horrible show, yes I know) and they were debating whether it was ok for the Jets to name Geno Smith as their starter. The debate wasn't whether he was on the chopping block to get cut, it was whether he was the starter or should he be in open competition with Fitzpatrick and Petty. That right there should tell everyone here that the Bills have no intention of cutting EJ Manuel. Stable NFL organizations don't just cut developing QBs after only two years. Manuel is actually a better all around QB than Smith, yet we're asked to believe that he may be cut while Smith is named a starter for the Jets? LOL Yet the Bills got away with playing a lot of people and local media. I think that the Bills used guys like Vick and Joe B as tools to tear EJ down so that they can build him up. The Jets took the opposite approach. Neither QB is getting cut this year.

WRG to your comment on Vic, I have become less of a fan of his, and it all stems to when he worked for the Browns. Granted, he was employed by the Browns, but the way he gushed and gushed about the Browns on Sirius NFL radio was just awful. I actually called in a went back n forth with Vic regarding the Thursday night game in 2013, if E J doesnt get hurt, we win that game.

I will say that I have started to see a credibility rebuilding with Vic including his correctly calling out Eric Wood, who had a poor 2014, and also asking during the Rex Ryan intro about the new organizational structure (it was a subtle yet veiled shot at R Brandon).

I wont even comment on Joe B. My opinion - the best local sports guys radio or print is Jeremy White.

WRG to your comment on Vic, I have become less of a fan of his, and it all stems to when he worked for the Browns. Granted, he was employed by the Browns, but the way he gushed and gushed about the Browns on Sirius NFL radio was just awful. I actually called in a went back n forth with Vic regarding the Thursday night game in 2013, if E J doesnt get hurt, we win that game.

I will say that I have started to see a credibility rebuilding with Vic including his correctly calling out Eric Wood, who had a poor 2014, and also asking during the Rex Ryan intro about the new organizational structure (it was a subtle yet veiled shot at R Brandon).

I wont even comment on Joe B. My opinion - the best local sports guys radio or print is Jeremy White.

There are so many obvious signs to let just a regular fan, let alone a seasoned NFL beat reporter, know that the story of EJ being possibly cut is complete b__s__. If the Bills truly were thinking along those lines wouldn't they have drafted a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round? Yes, they would have. The Jets did draft a QB and not only didn't think of cutting Smith, they actually named him the starter. It's so funny that the Bills pulled the wool over so many reporters and fans eyes who wanting to believe it's possibly true.

IMO the Bills were using the media to turn the heat up on Manuel and get him to play both angry and hungry to win the job. They want to see EJ Manuel at his most ready and motivated and felt that this was the best way to do that.

There are so many obvious signs to let just a regular fan, let alone a seasoned NFL beat reporter, know that the story of EJ being possibly cut is complete b__s__. If the Bills truly were thinking along those lines wouldn't they have drafted a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round? Yes, they would have. The Jets did draft a QB and not only didn't think of cutting Smith, they actually named him the starter. It's so funny that the Bills pulled the wool over so many reporters and fans eyes who wanting to believe it's possibly true.

IMO the Bills were using the media to turn the heat up on Manuel and get him to play both angry and hungry to win the job. They want to see EJ Manuel at his most ready and motivated and felt that this was the best way to do that.

Interesting opinion but I think that's wrong. They don't need media to turn up the heat on EJ. He already feels it. New staff bringing in competition for equal reps and open play? He knows he is likely on his last chance with the Bills an likely, the league. Sure, the media plays into it, but I'm sure he felt plenty of pressure before the whole "cut EJ" mess began

Interesting opinion but I think that's wrong. They don't need media to turn up the heat on EJ. He already feels it. New staff bringing in competition for equal reps and open play? He knows he is likely on his last chance with the Bills an likely, the league. Sure, the media plays into it, but I'm sure he felt plenty of pressure before the whole "cut EJ" mess began

I think EJ felt heat from the moment he got benched......

Sure.....he can latch onto the fact that its a new coaching staff.....but this is NOT the coaching staff that drafted him either.

EJ is going to have to outplay the other QBs.....and by a wide margin....in order to be under center this year.

I think EJ felt heat from the moment he got benched......

Sure.....he can latch onto the fact that its a new coaching staff.....but this is NOT the coaching staff that drafted him either.

EJ is going to have to outplay the other QBs.....and by a wide margin....in order to be under center this year.

The better QB will start and he won't have to outplay the other 2 by a wide margin. In fact, if it's close between Cassel and either EJ or Tyrod, even if Cassel is slightly better, Cassel loses. He's not a long-term solution and currently is on a 1-year deal.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys say hello.

Antonio Brown, all 5'10" of him, led the Steelers in red zone receiving TDs with 8. Randall Cobb, all 5'10" of him, led the NFL in red zone receiving TDs with 10. Dez Bryant, 6'2", also had 8 red zone receiving TDs.

In fact, 50% of the top ten in receiving red zone TDs are by receivers of the shorter variety.

Yes the Bills don't have a QB but the WRs I listed are dominant play makers. Scoring TDs is about getting the ball into your playmakers hands, tall or short. Good QBs know that. Proof of that is in the 50/50 split of red zone receiving TDs.

:o If we had Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben, you and I wouldn't even be having this tortured conversation... As of right now our QB is NOBODY.. And even when it was EJ or Kyle we struggled to move the chains...

You think having Murray and Witten on the field didn't free things up a tad for Dez??? And having Leveon Bell, and Martavis Bryant did nothing to help A. Brown's bottom line?... Yah, right.. 6'4" Martavis Bryant's stats were paltry this year.. 26 catches for 549 yards, and 8TD's -No big deal.. But wait... 16 first downs?.. 6 out his 8 TD's grabbed from INSIDE opposing 20??? But the Steelers didn't like that action at all... In fact they HATED it so much they took the biggest TE in the draft (Jesse James PSU 6'7" 262lbs) to NEGATE the effects a big receiver can have in the red zone..

Sadly, The Baltimore Ravens the fell into the same trap... Not only did they snatch standout TE Maxx Williams from under our nose, they doubled down on the position with Blue Hen stud TE Nick Boyle...

Get a clue!....Big Targets....EVERYBODY IS DOING IT.. -Everybody GOOD, that is...

I've been watching O'Leary for his whole college career. He will struggle at first in the NFL, due to his lack of quickness, but he's very smart and will find a way to succeed in time. At FSU he would disappear for long stretches and then "bang" he makes a game winning catch and run. He's a real football player and I'm glad he is on the Bills.

:o If we had Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben, you and I wouldn't even be having this tortured conversation... As of right now our QB is NOBODY.. And even when it was EJ or Kyle we struggled to move the chains...

You think having Murray and Witten on the field didn't free things up a tad for Dez??? And having Leveon Bell, and Martavis Bryant did nothing to help A. Brown's bottom line?... Yah, right.. 6'4" Martavis Bryant's stats were paltry this year.. 26 catches for 549 yards, and 8TD's -No big deal.. But wait... 16 first downs?.. 6 out his 8 TD's grabbed from INSIDE opposing 20??? But the Steelers didn't like that action at all... In fact they HATED it so much they took the biggest TE in the draft (Jesse James PSU 6'7" 262lbs) to NEGATE the effects a big receiver can have in the red zone..

Sadly, The Baltimore Ravens the fell into the same trap... Not only did they snatch standout TE Maxx Williams from under our nose, they doubled down on the position with Blue Hen stud TE Nick Boyle...

Get a clue!....Big Targets....EVERYBODY IS DOING IT.. -Everybody GOOD, that is...

I am quite sure that the bills would like to have a tall wide reciever that can play basketball in the red zone.....but your assertation that this team cannot be good on offense because it does not have one is nothing short of ridiculous simply because it does not have a franchise QB.

The whole franchise QB stick is getting a little old now anyway.....there are only 5 to 6 of them.......and there are 32 teams. Other teams are finding a way to make their offenses work without these things and the bills have put their best foot forward as well.....

Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay.........with a strong running back stable......pretty darn good in my opinion