What Are Your Memorial Day Plans?

Gugny

We're still up in the air for Sunday. Supposed to go to my sister-in-law's for a cookout, but we really want to plant flowers and vegetables (not kidding). Monday, wifey is working, so I'll take our son to the parade.

We take our son to our town's Memorial Day service every year. We have a great veteran's display, and each year we honor the families of anyone from our town who died in battle -- ringing a bell while calling out the vets' names one at a time. If the family is present, they're presented with a rose from the local girls scouts troop. Then they lay new bricks for those who died in the past year.

It's a lot of names, and a lot of roses, and somewhere near the end you can't help but get emotional over all the loss and all the families there to remember and grieve together, but it's a tremendous tribute for such a small town, and it really brings everyone together to remember the purpose of the day.

Then we eat ribs.

Hiking with the lady friend tomorrow.

Sunday I'll pull out the grave maps and miniature American flags and track down KIAs. Then a cookout.

Monday another cookout. Not a big parade guy so I'll be skipping that.

All in all a good weekend with too much food and not enough beer.

You know, being a big fan of the music of the 60's there is something magical about SF and the music from then. When we moved here and drove in for the first time I had to pop some Dead into car CD player. I had never been a big Dead fan but for some reason once I moved here their music took on a whole different meaning and now I'm a huge Dead fan.

You know, being a big fan of the music of the 60's there is something magical about SF and the music from then. When we moved here and drove in for the first time I had to pop some Dead into car CD player. I had never been a big Dead fan but for some reason once I moved here their music took on a whole different meaning and now I'm a huge Dead fan.

I don't want to hijack Gugny's thread on this issue, but this would have been a great time to be alive as an 18-25 year old.

I guess with Gugny's offer to Beerball to come visit and plant flowers, this song spoke to me.

That one word sums up my feeling on the subject.