Sean Payton v Bill Bellichick

payton got a year for bounty gate, for either not being forthcoming or essentially looking the other way.. just wondering how he will feel if belicheat goes unscathed.. i think he wont say anything, but will be closely following it.

Edited by dwight in philly

i get that for sure.. but i think there are quite a few delicate issues here.. lots on the line, to say the least,

How deep does the NFL want to go with this? Did ball deflating go on all season? Multiple seasons? Did it help them reduce fumbles? Did all this give them an advantage? The NFL might as well be the WWE if they let the Pats* skate. Also, how long do the other 31 teams put up with this?

How deep does the NFL want to go with this? Did ball deflating go on all season? Multiple seasons? Did it help them reduce fumbles? Did all this give them an advantage? The NFL might as well be the WWE if they let the Pats* skate. Also, how long do the other 31 teams put up with this?

well said.. but again, the elephant in the room is kraft's relationship with goodell.. this will be interesting, to say the least, but the integrity of the game is obviously at stake here, like you say. my point concerns belichick.. we all know he is the epitome of a "control freak" .. how does he escape punishment?

Change the title to Benson v Kraft and you have not only the equitation but the the response. Nada for the latter Hard on the former

now, that is a very perceptive take.. and really says a lot about the league. one certainly does not want to believe that what it boils down to, but if it does, then the "integrity" of the league would be suspect.

now, that is a very perceptive take.. and really says a lot about the league. one certainly does not want to believe that what it boils down to, but if it does, then the "integrity" of the league would be suspect.

the "integrity" of the league IS suspect IMHO

IIRC, Payton being caught on audio was more of what implicated him. And since the report disclosed no wrong doing on Bellichick's part, he's in the clear.

i still think that payton's one year suspension was as harsh as you could get. belichick, with his "history" not sure if he should be allowed to skate on this,

What may be different this time around and what none of us knows, is whether or not Goodell and the NFL told the Patriots the last time around: "Don't do this crap again. If you do, you will be punished substantially."

Or, they may have simply told the Cheatriots "Don't do this crap again."

If Goodell/the NFL perceives this as a back handed slap in their face, the Patriots will be penalized heavily.

The question is whether or not we are talking about big time egos being stepped on.

If they were, the Patriots are going to pay.

Did it help them reduce fumbles? Did all this give them an advantage?

I saw a few months ago, when the allegations 1st came out, where someone did a statistical analysis that it was virtually guaranteed that it gave them an advantage WRT reduced fumbles.

I don't remember the specific #a, but assume relative to average it would amount to maybe 3 fumbles lost /yr (as per above, it had to be fairly significant). I've always considered a turnover worth about 5 points (roughly speaking at least, that holds true). So I think it's quite plausible that their cheating allowed them to win an extra game or so /yr. Certainly significant IMO. Of course, we don't know HOW significant it was cuz they they got away w/ it.

i still think that payton's one year suspension was as harsh as you could get. belichick, with his "history" not sure if he should be allowed to skate on this,

Considering he supported an idea of rewarding those who sought to legitimately hurt people, from a man in that kind of position, he's lucky he's still in the league at all

Didn't sean payton have knowledge about what was going on though? I think the thing with belichick is there is no evidence he knew about what was happening (even though he probably did)

Nope. It was institutional control- they decided he knew, and if he didn't know he should've. Likewise their gm too. And the Hargrove punishment was because they said they believed he knew but didn't admit it (and specifically stated that his suspension was not for participation).

I think most fans don't realize how crazy that situation got.

payton got a year for bounty gate, for either not being forthcoming or essentially looking the other way.. just wondering how he will feel if belicheat goes unscathed.. i think he wont say anything, but will be closely following it.

Well intentionally injuring other players is completely different than under inflating a ball. To use a baseball analogy, it would be like comparing a batter going after a pitcher and actually beating him with a bat, or a pitcher throwing a spit ball. People really need to get a grasp of proportion on these issues.

Well intentionally injuring other players is completely different than under inflating a ball. To use a baseball analogy, it would be like comparing a batter going after a pitcher and actually beating him with a bat, or a pitcher throwing a spit ball. People really need to get a grasp of proportion on these issues.

i understand that, but my point is the "institutional control" issue.. does it apply to belichick in this case as it did to payton?