Prediction Time! What Will Tom Brady's Punishment Be?

361 members have voted

1. 1. What will Tom Brady's penalty be for 'Deflategate'?

• No penalty. The NFL will have a meeting with him, and declare the situation resolved.
    • Small to moderate fine. (Less than $500k)
    • Larger fine. ($500k and above)
    • 1-2 game suspension
    • 3 or more game suspension
    • Lifetime ban.

How does Sean Payton and the "lack of institutional control" factor in here? Brady is clearly in some trouble. That is obvious and a suspension is likely. If Goodell is going to say that "ignorance is not an excuse" than that must apply here too correct?

I don't put anything past Belicheat, but in this case, I think Brady did act on his own, especially with the part in the report about the conversation that BB and TB had where BB asked him if he knew about it. If Belicheat knew about it, and made that up for Wells, that would be absolutely insane.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't put anything past Belicheat, but in this case, I think Brady did act on his own, especially with the part in the report about the conversation that BB and TB had where BB asked him if he knew about it. If Belicheat knew about it, and made that up for Wells, that would be absolutely insane.

I totally agree. The point that I was making is that Goodell set a precedent with Bounty-gate on this exact subject. He said that ignorance is not an excusable defense. Surely, this must apply to Belicheck as well I would think?

I totally agree. The point that I was making is that Goodell set a precedent with Bounty-gate on this exact subject. He said that ignorance is not an excusable defense. Surely, this must apply to Belicheck as well I would think?

It certainly should. He let it go on under his nose just like Peyton did in the eyes of the commissioner.

That was the official word, and you probably know way, way, way more about Bounty Gate than me. But I find it hard to believe that Payton knew absolutely nothing about it whatsoever and was given that penalty.

i think the patriots operate in a culture of trying to get away with as much as possible.. i know all teams could be accused of that.. but in the patriots case, there is a history .. and i think belichick fosters it,hopefully the league realizes that credibility is at stake here. the 1919 black sox scandal brought to the forefront of maintaining the integrity of the game .. the NFL needs to come down hard.. brady should get at least 6 games, heavy fine.. draft choices losing their top pick for three years.. message needs to be sent.. there cannot be any hint of the NFL not upholding the integrity of the game.

Edited by dwight in philly

The problem with ignorance not being an excuse means that even Kraft could get in trouble.

It's Kraft's team. The penalty will be minimal and cheating will continue.

I wish the League would go absolutely NCAA on their azzes -remove 100 wins from Belicheat and a 5 year Playoff ban.

I can dream, can't i!

i think the patriots operate in a culture of trying to get away with as much as possible.. i know all teams could be accused of that.. but in the patriots case, there is a history .. and i think belichick fosters it,hopefully the league realizes that credibility is at stake here. the 1919 black sox scandal brought to the forefront of maintaining the integrity of the game .. the NFL needs to come down hard.. brady should get at least 6 games, heavy fine.. draft choices losing their top pick for three years.. message needs to be sent.. there cannot be any hint of the NFL not upholding the integrity of the game.

You know, that is a very good point. It's quite possible that Brady did it all on his own because of the culture that Belicheat has created and they both benefited from, and Brady, feeling that he is Co-King, just takes this stuff upon himself. And therefore, without direct knowledge, Belicheat could have some indirect responsibility. Good take.

That was the official word, and you probably know way, way, way more about Bounty Gate than me. But I find it hard to believe that Payton knew absolutely nothing about it whatsoever and was given that penalty.

That was just what Goodell said when handing down the suspensions. One would think that he would have to be consistent and punish ignorance here as well. It may not be as severe but the precedent is there.

That was just what Goodell said when handing down the suspensions. One would think that he would have to be consistent and punish ignorance here as well. It may not be as severe but the precedent is there.

:lol:

Lifetime Ban, 10 Million dollar fine and his name stricken from the record book. Pats stripped of all home wins for the designated period. OR we talked to Tom and Pats and the NFL /we consider the matter closed. Probably somewhere in between but closer to the later. A game or 2 suspension for Brady and a fine for the Pats.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

True. The more I think about this and the more I read about it, the less I have any idea of what the league will do. This is hugely problematic for them, although I bet they have been preparing for exactly this report for a long, long time.

Most probably won't believe this, but it is likely the best thing for the league, for their image, and for their purse, to suspend Brady for the entire season. Think of all the goodwill the NFL would get from everyone not a Patriot fan, which is 90% of the fans. Think of the precedent it would set against cheating - "if they did this to the Pats and Brady, what do you think they would do to me?" Think of what Belichick would be doing to try to win without him and what a story that would be. Think of all the intrigue next year when Brady returns. That would probably be a huge boon to the league.

If he is suspended at all, it won't be for only 1 game. That's because 1 is 1, and that would make the NFL look foolish.

I therefore think the floor for his suspension is 2 games.

I voted for 1-2, thinking it will be 2.

I think more than that is possible and it would be much appreciated, but ultimately unlikely.

Surprise me, Roger!

True. The more I think about this and the more I read about it, the less I have any idea of what the league will do. This is hugely problematic for them, although I bet they have been preparing for exactly this report for a long, long time.

Most probably won't believe this, but it is likely the best thing for the league, for their image, and for their purse, to suspend Brady for the entire season. Think of all the goodwill the NFL would get from everyone not a Patriot fan, which is 90% of the fans. Think of the precedent it would set against cheating - "if they did this to the Pats and Brady, what do you think they would do to me?" Think of what Belichick would be doing to try to win without him and what a story that would be. Think of all the intrigue next year when Brady returns. That would probably be a huge boon to the league.

Maintaining an air of credibility and legitimacy, long term, is much more important for the NFL's bottom line than anything to do with a single player or franchise is a single season.

Whether or not they have the wisdom to understand that is another matter entirely. I suspect they do.

Brady being suspended for an entire season is nothing more than Brady getting his leg broken in Week 2 or something like that. The NFL is more than capable of overcoming that.

However, a full season suspension is highly unlikely IMHO.

We have to see! I think we will hear something soon.