ESPN the Mag: LeSean McCoy Interview

I'm about to ask a lot of questions. I'm doing this to open up the debate because I want to get to the core of some of the opinions on here.

Why is it a "social injustice" if the coach doesn't want guys questioning him, or challenging his authority?

I really doubt there is some kind of infringement on the player's rights going on. If Chip Kelly prefers guys that are quiet (McCoy is a loudmouth, d-bag in my opinion), and can be successful with them, more respect to him.

There are plenty of black players still on the Eagles roster.

Why are you so sure there isn't something racial to it? Why do you "really doubt it"? How do you know he has a problem with loud guys, and not loud black guys? We have a guy on our team who thinks so and apparently whispers that other players think so.

I think that McCoy’s embarrassing himself, not the Bills.

Why is he embarrassing himself? Is he really embarrassing himself, or is he just saying stuff that you don't agree with?

McCoy has simply embarrassed himself with his comments about Kelly. What he says about Kelly and race is factually factually wrong.

Why is it factually wrong? I can see someone saying "I don't think that's the case" like HOF Watkins, but why is it factually wrong? Again, why is he embarrassing himself? Are you just embarrassed since he's a Bill and trying to project your embarrassment on to him?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is he embarrassing himself? Is he really embarrassing himself, or is he just saying stuff that you don't agree with?

He's embarrassing himself because he's gone over this ground a few times before.

I think McCoy does have a point with regards to the three black stars jettisoned out and Cooper still there. Chip has a perception problem among black players on that team I would imagine. The reality is probably more along the lines that Chip doesn't like other people getting the attention and Riley Cooper would never overshadow him because he doesn't have that kind of talent. Just because someone insinuates racism doesn't mean that that's what it is. It might just mean that Chip wants to be the peacock and he's getting rid of all the other potential peacocks. He might be looking for a "no name" team where he gets all of the credit. I don't know for sure what the deal is, but that's what I imagine it is.

He's embarrassing himself because he's gone over this ground a few times before.

I think McCoy does have a point with regards to the three black stars jettisoned out and Cooper still there. Chip has a perception problem among black players on that team I would imagine. The reality is probably more along the lines that Chip doesn't like other people getting the attention and Riley Cooper would never overshadow him because he doesn't have that kind of talent. Just because someone insinuates racism doesn't mean that that's what it is. It might just mean that Chip wants to be the peacock and he's getting rid of all the other potential peacocks. He might be looking for a "no name" team where he gets all of the credit. I don't know for sure what the deal is, but that's what I imagine it is.

So he's repeating himself because he feels strongly about it, not sure why that's so embarrassing.

Regarding your 2nd point, and I've heard this from other people in the thread, you mention that the "reality is" that Chip is not racist and "might just mean" he wants all the attention. Please explain to me why it's reasonable to think "Chip wants all the attention" and why it's wrong to think "there's a racial tinge to it"? Why is one a perception and the other a reality when you don't have any evidence for either?

I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind it because it seems to have developed into a meme within 4 thread pages.

Edited by musichunch

ill say after thinking on it some.... i dont love the comments, but i really dont hate that hes possibly stirred up a mess in the eagles locker room. if some guys were maybe thinking it, having someone say it out loud could help turn them into a circus. which as a team that plays them this year, i wont mind if they are in a tailspin at that point.

ill say after thinking on it some.... i dont love the comments, but i really dont hate that hes possibly stirred up a mess in the eagles locker room. if some guys were maybe thinking it, having someone say it out loud could help turn them into a circus. which as a team that plays them this year, i wont mind if they are in a tailspin at that point.

Good point.

Also, fans and posters tend to forget or not realize that he didn't call a press conference to come out and say this stuff. He was asked to come in and sit down for in interview for ESPN Magazine. That's not a huge deal but not a small thing either. he was asked specifically about what he thought and he said what he thought. And then said other people think the same way and have been talking about it. Then said, again, I have said enough about this, lets talk about my new team. Nothing has happened that is a story since the trade. There hasnt been any real action. They were looking for a big reaction from a big star or they wouldn't have set up the interview. It seems like the media and reporters can't let it go as much as McCoy.

This was a good read. Shady is a pretty honest guy and doesn't hold back. I think that he will be the most outspoken guy to wear a Bills uniform in quite some time. I can't wait to get him out on the field.

Honest and smart (and right) are not often the same thing.

"From the Philly daily:

• Black players added: 8

• Black players lost: 7

• White players added: 3

• White players lost: 4

It also also perhaps noteworthy that five of the six players the Eagles drafted in Kelly's first offseason with full control, were black."

Guy sounds like a total tool.

So he's repeating himself because he feels strongly about it, not sure why that's so embarrassing.

Regarding your 2nd point, and I've heard this from other people in the thread, you mention that the "reality is" that Chip is not racist and "might just mean" he wants all the attention. Please explain to me why it's reasonable to think "Chip wants all the attention" and why it's wrong to think "there's a racial tinge to it"? Why is one a perception and the other a reality when you don't have any evidence for either?

I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind it because it seems to have developed into a meme within 4 thread pages.

I said "probably", It wasn't a definitive statement.

Again, this is an issue that McCoy has every right to talk about since Cooper's still there, but at some point people start tuning out if that's all you talk about.

"From the Philly daily:

Black players added: 8

Black players lost: 7

White players added: 3

White players lost: 4

It also also perhaps noteworthy that five of the six players the Eagles drafted in Kelly's first offseason with full control, were black."

its not the race. It's the way they act. Not all black players act the same and not all white players act the same. There were certain young, black players he got rid of. McCoy is saying he wants a certain type of player, not one who has a big personality, etc.

"From the Philly daily:

• Black players added: 8

• Black players lost: 7

• White players added: 3

• White players lost: 4

Black stars lost 2. White stars lost 0. That is what he was saying (right or wrong, I don't really believe it but I understand what he is saying). He said Chip doesn't like guys as big as him, and especially when they are black. That perception amongst black people has been around a couple hundred years. Not that Chip doesn't like black players in general.

Why is it factually wrong? I can see someone saying "I don't think that's the case" like HOF Watkins, but why is it factually wrong? Again, why is he embarrassing himself? Are you just embarrassed since he's a Bill and trying to project your embarrassment on to him?

Look at who the Eagles have signed the last two offseasons and who they have drafted. They drafted 6 players this year, and the first 5 taken were black. The year before, they drafted 7; the first 4 taken were black and 5 out of the 7 total were black.

It's factually wrong. There's also DeMarcus Murray, of course.

Edited by dave mcbride

Look at who the Eagles have signed the last two offseasons and who they have drafted. They drafted 6 players this year, and the first 5 taken were black. The year before, they drafted 7; the first 4 taken were black and 5 out of the 7 total were black.

It's factually wrong. There's also DeMarcus Murray, of course.

I dont think the point McCoy is trying to make is as simple as "black or white", or can be determined by how many black players and white players Chip has signed/cut.

It's that Chip is willing to tolerate push back from white players, but immediately ships out any black players that dont immediately kowtow to his ways. He only wants subservient black players, not uppity blacks.

Just my take, trying to make sense of his comments.

It's factually wrong.

But what you are talking about is not what McCoy was talking about. You can't field a team with white running backs and WR and CB. McCoy was talking about players with big personalities who speak their mind.

Black stars lost 2. White stars lost 0. That is what he was saying (right or wrong, I don't really believe it but I understand what he is saying). He said Chip doesn't like guys as big as him, and especially when they are black. That perception amongst black people has been around a couple hundred years. Not that Chip doesn't like black players in general.

Exactly what Im trying to say in my deduction.