Why no consideration for Jeff Tuel?

I just happened to watch a lot of Jeff Tuel highlights from both college and the one game he played in the NFL. Having been scratching my head as to why he was on the roster, I honestly have changed opinion after watching and have completely changed idea now thinking that he is a great player. In the NFL game I see a TON of dropped passes by receivers, and in college I see a lot of impressive passing with a horrible offensive line. I just want to know if there are any insiders in here that can explain why Jeff Tuel isn't getting more consideration for the starting role? He's young with a prototypical QB size and seems to have intelligence. I think he could be franchise quality if given the chance and experience especially with this team and the amount of weapons it offers him. Rex Ryan keeps forgetting to mention him in the QB competition and downplays his talent whenever asked about it. It really makes me wonder.

Edited by Vinaccia

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look guys, I am no fan boy of this player, and I had no knowledge of him. I absolutely couldn't understand why they didn't at least bring in a free agent to replace him, but after watching the tape, the kid has got a good arm. My question is, if he was brought in, why isn't he at least getting a fair shot?

Look guys, I am no fan boy of this player, and I had no knowledge of him. I absolutely couldn't understand why they didn't at least bring in a free agent to replace him, but after watching the tape, the kid has got a good arm. My question is, if he was brought in, why isn't he at least getting a fair shot?

because they don't see him as a potential starting NFL QB. He is depth.

I love Tuel.

And its funny. The FO never talks him up. Likewise, there are never any rumors of him being cut or traded.

I think they see something in him. Maybe possible career backup. Which is really high praise, when you think about it.

Tuel is a gamer, who never thinks the game is too big for him. He is more willing to throw the ball (to give guys a chance to make a play) instead of sitting there waiting for the perfect route to be perfectly open, than any other QB we have. This, methinks, is what makes an NFL qb, even a career backup.

See: Reich, Frank.

Edited by maddenboy

I would have to say I agree. I have seen a lot worse then Jeff Tuel. He had a great pre season not to long ago and he performed decently in the few games that he started. He was moving the ball and reading the defense better than EJ ever did against KC. I know he had a game changing pick that made me cuss his name out loud but that is what you get from a young QB. I think he deserves a chance and I don't think he played as bad as Bills fans like to think. If EJ gets another shot this kid should as well. Give him 10 games under his belt and I think his numbers show better than EJ.

I would have to say I agree. I have seen a lot worse then Jeff Tuel. He had a great pre season not to long ago and he performed decently in the few games that he started. He was moving the ball and reading the defense better than EJ ever did against KC. I know he had a game changing pick that made me cuss his name out loud but that is what you get from a young QB. I think he deserves a chance and I don't think he played as bad as Bills fans like to think. If EJ gets another shot this kid should as well. Give him 10 games under his belt and I think his numbers show better than EJ.

Remember all those great preseason Trent Edwards had? Why not evaluate Tuel on his regular season game performances?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TuelJe00.htm

And those stats look prettier than the actual games.

So far you are advocating Mike Glennon and Jeff Tuel as possible answers at the position. Yea... I am not agreeing with your Quarterback assessments I am afraid.

Tuel is a gamer, who never thinks the game is too big for him.

Yep. Sadly, when he actually has played the evidence is that the games are, indeed, too big for him. I mean I know everyone's favourite Quarterback is the backup Quarterback but jeeeeeeezzzz......

Tuel was great in his first mini camp when all the bills seemed to do was throw deep balls bc thats what Hackett thought they should be working on in mini camps...how great is it not to have him or Marrone around anymore?

So far you are advocating Mike Glennon and Jeff Tuel as possible answers at the position. Yea... I am not agreeing with your Quarterback assessments I am afraid.

Yep. Sadly, when he actually has played the evidence is that the games are, indeed, too big for him. I mean I know everyone's favourite Quarterback is the backup Quarterback but jeeeeeeezzzz......

This is different. this is JEFF FREAKING TUEL!!!!!!!!

I just happened to watch a lot of Jeff Tuel highlights from both college and the one game he played in the NFL. Having been scratching my head as to why he was on the roster, I honestly have changed opinion after watching and have completely changed idea now thinking that he is a great player. In the NFL game I see a TON of dropped passes by receivers, and in college I see a lot of impressive passing with a horrible offensive line. I just want to know if there are any insiders in here that can explain why Jeff Tuel isn't getting more consideration for the starting role? He's young with a prototypical QB size and seems to have intelligence. I think he could be franchise quality if given the chance and experience especially with this team and the amount of weapons it offers him. Rex Ryan keeps forgetting to mention him in the QB competition and downplays his talent whenever asked about it. It really makes me wonder.

Jeff Tuel Starting QB? Bad Idea :doh:

Rex has made it pretty clear he doesn't like Tuel. Rex may overvalue measurables at QB, given the selection of Vick and Taylor

It's funny when people say Tuel sucks, when he's probably no worse than the Bills' other QBs. They see the areas he's worse in (arm strength) and don't see - or undervalue - where he's better (vision, timing)

I was hoping he would get a shot because I value what he is good at. Unfortunately it looks unlikely