49ers OG Alex Boone open to trade; skips OTAs

He's making $3.7m and we have about $6.9m that doesn't give us much wiggle room if we want to sign a few guys after May 12. Personally I'd pass as think we need as many young bodies as we can.

i wonder if they could extend him after the trade and bring down the cap #

i wonder if they could extend him after the trade and bring down the cap #

Is he significantly better than Incognito? I'm not sure yet I'd say the guy has one good thing about him, as me, him, Matthew Barnaby and Derek Roy all share something in common.

Edited by The Jokeman

Is he significantly better than Incognito? I'm not sure yet I'd say the guy has one good thing about him, as me, him, Matthew Barnaby and Derek Roy all share something in common.

ha. I think he's better than the other G options. I would play him and incognito at both guard spots.

ha. I think he's better than the other G options. I would play him and incognito at both guard spots.

Yet but with him on a 1 year deal I don't like giving up a pick for him. Sure we could extend him but I don't think he's a great player so would pass on him.

He's making $3.7m and we have about $6.9m that doesn't give us much wiggle room if we want to sign a few guys after May 12. Personally I'd pass as think we need as many young bodies as we can.

Problem solved...

http://overthecap.com/player/chris-williams/2179/

Boone was PFF's No. 17 guard last season,

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/22/2014-pff-all-nfc-west-team/

Guards: Mike Iupati (LG, SF), Alex Boone (RG, SF)

The San Francisco left-right of Iupati and Boone get the call. Boone managed to finish in the green as both a pass blocker and as a run blocker while Iupati, on the other hand, posted another example of his customary one-sided play — run-blocking dominance and lacking pass pro. That strong showing as a run blocker, though, (second-highest run blocking grade among guards) was impressive enough on its own.

Edited by Lurker

I believe Incognito is a LG. Boone is a RG.

BUT it seems the Bills are much more interested in adding a new tackle than a guard.

Except the dead cap money Williams will count against the books in 2016-17.

Roughly $1.7 million if cut after June 1...that's insignificant.

BUT it seems the Bills are much more interested in adding a new tackle than a guard.

They should be looking to upgrade both guard spots. They can still draft an OT to be a swing man behind Glenn and Henderson...

Edited by Lurker

I believe that Roman will be able to adapt his scheme to the players talents far better than Hackett (Marrone), therefore making the O-Line better, even with the same personnel. I think that's why that haven't done as much to address the O-Line in the off season, like many thought they should have. Reading between the lines on Whaley's comments about the draft, that not too many players will make it, IMO, is because they know the O-Line is already there. The pieces are there to put this puzzle together, but Marrone was trying to build the puzzle looking at the back of it. The Bills are going to be awesome this year. They knew they needed the playmakers on offense and went out and got them. The QB situation will play itself out and one of them will step up and separate themselves as a #1.

Worrying about free cap space is a waste of time as it can easily be changed.

You do realize teams play two Guards right?

Worrying about free cap space is a waste of time as it can easily be changed.

You do realize teams play two Guards right?

Moving Williams would offset the cap in a big way. If we acquire a guard there's a built in cap relief there.