Was the trade for Watkins worth it?

Luxy312

Not sure if this was mentioned before but last year Sammy Watkins was the only player in the entire draft who was a "can't miss" player. Some pundits argued Greg Robinson too but others didn't.

This year, there may be none. The only one that could be considered a can't miss is Leonard Williams. I'm on the fence as to whether or not he is. But that is how rare they are, and that is why you make the trade for Sammy.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, no one argues with Watkins' talent. The issue is, when allocating resources, why you'd go after receivers as San-O points out, when your OL and QB aren't good.

The argument is not about Sammy Watkins being good or having the potential to be very good. This is not a referendum on Watkins as is repeatedly argued by many. The argument is about priorities and value. The Bills had other more important priorities than WR and they paid way too much!

The argument is not about Sammy Watkins being good or having the potential to be very good. This is not a referendum on Watkins as is repeatedly argued by many. The argument is about priorities and value. The Bills had other more important priorities than WR and they paid way too much!

what else was a priority?

Did they have bigger needs? He is a number 1 that immediately commanded double teams and opened up the field. He was directly responsible for 3 wins. I would say that he filled a pretty big need. It was by no means a "luxury." You had 1 WR on the roster.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop the pain, from laughing too hard at this nonsense.

whatever. drink some more kool aid. I know that's how you roll.

I'm so sick of this being bantered in the media. Was he worth it? So far, no. Will he eventually be worth it? Maybe. He has shown flashes of elite talent, but also has been injury prone and has a tendency for alligator arms in traffic. I'd like to think he'll become a pro-bowl receiver, but anyone who says they know either way is just guessing. Let's see how the year plays out. Until then, I'm reserving judgment.

Be careful!

Kelly the Dog and his 31,000 posts thinks this is nonsense.

Not sure if this was mentioned before but last year Sammy Watkins was the only player in the entire draft who was a "can't miss" player. Some pundits argued Greg Robinson too but others didn't.

This year, there may be none. The only one that could be considered a can't miss is Leonard Williams. I'm on the fence as to whether or not he is. But that is how rare they are, and that is why you make the trade for Sammy.

Oh, you're one the fence about Leonard Williams. That must make it so.

LOL.

31,000 posts arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet.

You must be a fun guy in real life.

whatever. drink some more kool aid. I know that's how you roll.

Be careful!

Kelly the Dog and his 31,000 posts thinks this is nonsense.

Oh, you're one the fence about Leonard Williams. That must make it so.

LOL.

31,000 posts arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet.

You must be a fun guy in real life.

Actually I just thought saying Sammy Watkins can only catch "when the QB sees that he is open and throws him the ball in stride where Watkins needs it." was nonsense.

Comic gold.

Actually I just thought saying Sammy Watkins can only catch "when the QB sees that he is open and throws him the ball in stride where Watkins needs it." was nonsense.

Comic gold.

You're an azzhat!

LOL

I guess you haven't caught on yet that elite WR talent isn't really useful if the QB sucks.

See Watkins' stats for last year.

See Watkins' stats for this upcoming year.

Maybe you'll catch on eventually.

Gunning for 40,000 posts?

Go outside!

Comic gold.

I've never see anyone use the term "comic gold" on an internet chat forum before.

You are an innovative genius.

Edited by Stopthepain

You're an azzhat!

LOL

I guess you haven't caught on yet that elite WR talent isn't really useful if the QB sucks.

See Watkins' stats for last year.

See Watkins' stats for this upcoming year.

Maybe you'll catch on eventually.

Gunning for 40,000 posts?

Go outside!

I've never see anyone use the term "comic gold" on an internet chat forum before.

You are an innovative genius.

What was wrong with Watkins stats last year? Seemed pretty good to me, nearly a 1,000 yard season in his rookie year. As for next year? Are you saying he won't do as good? Better? the Same? Better will make him outstanding, and I can't see him getting worse. The same? Maybe, but I think it's doubtful, we will see though.

what else was a priority?

Let's say you bought a house for $400K and you are proud of your new house, but the market value is only $250K. Does that mean you have a bad house? No, of course not. You just overpaid unnecessarily. I am convinced this is what Whaley did last year. He overpaid! This is a short term strategy that usually backfires in the long run. Remember it was Whaley who was instrumental in drafting Manuel. The subsequent trade to draft Watkins was an attempt to save the Manuel selection as being a total waste. His first mistake made him reach for his second mistake.

The Bills justified the trade to provide weapons for EJ Manuel. They could have acquired other WR's to accomplish the same thing and kept their 1st and 4th round picks this year. IMO, they would have received more value taking one of the other WR's available last year and drafting a top offensive lineman in the 1st round this year.

The idea that the trade was made to help Manuel was rejected by the Bills themselves when they benched him for the rest of the season. If your premise is faulty, so will be your conclusion.

I said NO with conviction and disdain last year and have not changed my position. In a DEEP WR draft, there was no need to give up this year's first to get a quality #1 WR. You don't make that trade unless you have a franchise QB and are a WR away from competing.

The argument that it was a good trade because the Bills would have taken Ebron makes no sense. It makes Whaley look even more incompetent, "if we didn't make the trade our GM would have made an even worse decision, so it was a good trade ???!!!". Ugh.

Think where this team would be with Mosley (who I wanted), or Martin (who several draft pundits slotted to Buffalo)or a hindsight is 20/20 pick like Beckham, Jr AND this year's 19th (or higher) pick ?

Having said all that, I like Sammy. I said it last year and still feel that way. If he becomes a perennial all-pro, I'll happily eat my words and say I was wrong.

As we sit here today, I am not wrong. Sammy looked good, not great last year. He needs to be great for the trade to make sense.

Excellent points.

Most Bills fans here will argue that the #1 priority is finding that franchise QB. Yet now the majority seem happy with two first rounders, and a fourth round pick on a WR when the team is still looking for that franchise QB. This makes no sense to me at all.

I think the biggest factor in this entire discussion is that this FO / scouting dept is so lame they honestly can't project what a player will eventually become so they reach for what they perceive to be the best. Yet those two first rounders, and a 4th for a WR still didn't net them a tall, speedy megatron clone. The team still needs that big WR red zone threat. Eric Ebron...really? Last years #2 pick Cyrus Kouandji is so bad can't even get on the field. Talk about building a team bass ackwards. This years team still doesn't have a decent foundation on the offensive line, and they still need two starters that they intended obtain....yet somehow didn't.

If Sammy eventually does become great can we trade him for a franchise QB? Because without that QB this team will never see another super bowl.

Yes. Absolutely.

When our pick came along, there wasn't anyone I'd rather have. Sammy is better than Ebron + Whoever was left at 19.

Even if the Bills had a first round pick, I wish they would have traded back.