House you live in happy? Not happy?

mead107

Had a flood a little less than three months after we moved in. Caused foundation damage. Flood insurance rejected the claim, because our flood insurance didn't go into effect until three days after the flood.

Was happy until that.

This is our 2nd house. The first house we bought when we first got married was a great house. We bought it in the village of lancaster. Small colonial. Got right before the market went up & we got it for a great price. Had kids, wife wanted something bigger so we packed our bags & moved about 3 miles down the road into the outer edge of town. It is a good house, bigger, has an inground pool which is nice & nice back yard where my son & I made a pretty sweet wifle ball diamond. I like it, I don't like the mortgage payment. It is double of what I was paying at the first house. The third year I was there they reassessed my house & my taxes nearly doubled of what I was paying when I first bought the house.

Very happy in our house. Very happy with neighborhood. Only "wish list" item would have been, possibly, to not taken a corner lot. Because of the shape of the lot/location of the house, we're unable to put a pool in. The lot is also on a slope, so fencing in would not look good. Would only prefer to fence in because of the dog. But those aren't issues that make us unhappy at all.

My wife and I recently bought our "dream house" that we plan on retiring in. I'm very happy with it of course, but for now I'm on the road just under 2 hours a day back and forth to work. I'll be much happier in about 3 years when I have time to enjoy it more! The only thing I don't like is that it's very open, which is resulting in very high heating bills. But the layout is great, so I guess that's the price I pay.

Not happy, going to sell it and build a new smaller house.

Does that mean you're not planning on moving back to Buffalo now?

My wife and I recently bought our "dream house" that we plan on retiring in. I'm very happy with it of course, but for now I'm on the road just under 2 hours a day back and forth to work. I'll be much happier in about 3 years when I have time to enjoy it more! The only thing I don't like is that it's very open, which is resulting in very high heating bills. But the layout is great, so I guess that's the price I pay.

Does that mean you're not planning on moving back to Buffalo now?

I have to build the smaller house as part of a strategy to sell the ranch it will sit on. It is not going to be a quick sale so I have to manage the ranch until it does sell. When that happens I can move to Buffalo. The loft I really wanted to buy sold, which sucks. I probably wont move to Buffalo for 6 to 18 months.

We've grown into the house and with a new addition on the way it's getting a little tight (Having only 1 full bath is becoming a problem), but it's a great area with a huge yard (for the area), awesome neighbors, and good schools (elementary is questionable, but middle & high are top end), and it's in the back of a cul de sac, so I'm hesitant to move. But if I were to buy a new house I'd make sure I got one with 2 living areas separated enough so the sound from one doesn't disturb the quiet enjoyment of the other, and a big kitchen would be a must. And I'd need enough room to build a detatched garage/clubhouse - every married man should have one. One of those closeted toilets would be nice too.

Edited by Rob's House

And I'd need enough room to build a detatched garage/clubhouse - every married man should have one. One of those closeted toilets would be nice too.

Best part of my house is the outbuilding workshop. The wife can have her lavendar candles, I'll stick with fresh-cut white oak and Honduran rosewood for my aromatherapy.

We're very happy with our house and property.

The house itself is in need of a major renovation, (original 1950's kitchen, bathroom and even original hot water cylinder!) but the property is awesome.

We sit on a sea bluff overlooking Tasman Bay. (Top of the south island of New Zealand.)

The site is private and the views are mindblowing. (Ocean views with snow-capped mountains; lighthouse; sea birds and ships.)

Later this year, we hope to build a workshop/studio for the wife and I and then focus on updating the house itself. I can't wait to see the finished result.