Name team and 5 skill players better than Bills last 10 yrs

I'm pretty sure there are a few, maybe a lot. But I would like to see all of the NON-QUARTERBACK group of five skill players that you would have preferred GOING INTO A SEASON in total considering age, injury, etc.

Like, for example, Denver of last year may have been better with Demayrius Thomas, Sanders, Welker (although he wasn't really there at the beginning of the season, Thomas the TE and whomever they started the season at RB, maybe Montee Ball? You could even insert CJ Anderson I guess, even though he didn't start the season.

I personally would choose Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay, McCoy I think. But it's very close.

If you want to go 6-7 deep maybe add Felton and Freddy.

Please, please do not say anything about QBs, this thread is just about the five skill players other than QBs. Please, please do not say anything resembling "It doesn't matter if you don't have a QB." Everyone here knows that. It will be a public admission you're ignorant and an ass, and a pox will be put on your house and something very bad will happen at your workplace and to your phone, car and sister if you have one.

Who is or was better than our five guys in total, that you would trade five for five.

And it counts the age and physical ability now, like, for example, if you say The Colts of 2015 you are counting the Frank Gore of 2015 not of when he was in his prime.

Maybe the Packers of a couple years ago had a better five.

Go on, I double dog dare you.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good challenge. Something I think that is beginning to be picked up on around the league. We likely have the most talented (not counting QB) roster in the NFL. Other teams have made (and won) a SB with a roster like this. I consider missing the playoffs a massive failure, and I expect the Bills will at least reach the second round or the AFC Championship game, if not the SB. (yeah, I may be drinking the preseason kool-aid, like every year it tastes good, but I have this feeling Cassel or an improved EJ will surprise and be better versions of T. Dilfer). And our OC is the guy that made Kap look like the next all-star QB. I think he can do that with one of our guys and this supporting cast. IMO

I'm pretty sure there are a few, maybe a lot. But I would like to see all of the NON-QUARTERBACK group of five skill players that you would have preferred GOING INTO A SEASON in total considering age, injury, etc.

Like, for example, Denver of last year may have been better with Demayrius Thomas, Sanders, Welker (although he wasn't really there at the beginning of the season, Thomas the TE and whomever they started the season at RB, maybe Montee Ball? You could even insert CJ Anderson I guess, even though he didn't start the season.

I personally would choose Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay, McCoy I think. But it's very close.

If you want to go 6-7 deep maybe add Felton and Freddy.

Please, please do not say anything about QBs, this thread is just about the five skill players other than QBs. Please, please do not say anything resembling "It doesn't matter if you don't have a QB." Everyone here knows that. It will be a public admission you're ignorant and an ass, and a pox will be put on your house and something very bad will happen at your workplace and to your phone, car and sister if you have one.

Who is or was better than our five guys in total, that you would trade five for five.

And it counts the age and physical ability now, like, for example, if you say The Colts of 2015 you are counting the Frank Gore of 2015 not of when he was in his prime.

Maybe the Packers of a couple years ago had a better five.

Go on, I double dog dare you.

So it will be just another post for me then?

I can't think of an answer.

2012 Atlanta Falcons:

They had Roddy White, Julio Jones, Harry Douglas, Tony Gonzalez and Michael Turner.

Roddy White had 1,351 yards and 7 TD's

Julio Jones had 1,200 yards and 10 TD's

Tony Gonzales had 900 yards and 8 TD's

Michael Turner rushed for 10 TD's

Harry Douglas had 400 yards

Douglas is probably the weakest link but Jones is easily on par with Watkins. I'd take White at that point in his career over Harvin at this point in his. Gonzalez over Clay at there respective points in their career. Turner, while not rushing for tons of yards still went for 10 TD's.

2007 Pats are up there. Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Watson, and Maroney. That was, however, Welker's bust out year so it may be hard to say for sure. Also, as you mentioned, when GB had Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Finley, and Grant that was very good.

The first group that came to mind would be Atlanta in 2013.

Steven Jackson

Julio Jones

Roddy White

Harry Douglas

Tony Gonzales

It would be a tough choice but I'd go with our five though. Just not sure if that's my homer showing or not.

Good thread.

I started and stopped with a few different teams because I had 3 or 4 but couldn't get to 5. The RBs people have listed aren't as good as McCoy imo.

Yes, but its about trade offs. Woods/Harvin while good, neither have been Roddy White good. Julio Jones is a beast and is easily comparable to Watkins. Gonzales is a better TE than Clay, at this point. Yea the WR3 isn't as good and there's some fall off at RB, although Turner was a beast up to that point. But IMO, the WR1, WR2, TE are as good or better that's 3/5.

I don't know if any are better than what we have, but

2012 Saints had Colston, Henderson, Moore, Graham, and Sproles.

2013 Falcons had Jones, White, Douglas, Gonzalez, and Jackson.

2007 Patriots had Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Ben Watson, and Maroney.

2012 Ravens had Smith, Boldin, Jones, Pitta, and Rice.

2010 Eagles had Jackson, Maclin, Cooper, Celek, and McCoy

2012 Atlanta Falcons:

They had Roddy White, Julio Jones, Harry Douglas, Tony Gonzalez and Michael Turner.

Roddy White had 1,351 yards and 7 TD's

Julio Jones had 1,200 yards and 10 TD's

Tony Gonzales had 900 yards and 8 TD's

Michael Turner rushed for 10 TD's

Harry Douglas had 400 yards

Douglas is probably the weakest link but Jones is easily on par with Watkins. I'd take White at that point in his career over Harvin at this point in his. Gonzalez over Clay at there respective points in their career. Turner, while not rushing for tons of yards still went for 10 TD's.

That's a good one. They may indeed be better.

McCoy is better and maybe far better than Turner. (And I like Turner and had him on my fantasy team that year). Edge Bills.

White would be significantly better than Woods at this point. Edge Falcons.

Jones and Watkins to me are a wash going into their second seasons. Even.

Gonzalez was still very effective. Clay is close as an all around player. Slight edge Falcons.

Harvin far better than Douglas. Big edge Bills.

I'd say that's a wash. This maybe a homer call but I don't think I make the trade. McCoy and Harvin make the difference.

Yes, but its about trade offs. Woods/Harvin while good, neither have been Roddy White good. Julio Jones is a beast and is easily comparable to Watkins. Gonzales is a better TE than Clay, at this point. Yea the WR3 isn't as good and there's some fall off at RB, although Turner was a beast up to that point. But IMO, the WR1, WR2, TE are as good or better that's 3/5.

i suppose I looked at it more as the strength and talent within the 5-man unit.

That's a good one. They may indeed be better.

McCoy is better and maybe far better than Turner. (And I like Turner and had him on my fantasy team that year). Edge Bills.

White would be significantly better than Woods at this point. Edge Falcons.

Jones and Watkins to me are a wash going into their second seasons. Even.

Gonzalez was still very effective. Clay is close as an all around player. Slight edge Falcons.

Harvin far better than Douglas. Big edge Bills.

I'd say that's a wash. This maybe a homer call but I don't think I make the trade. McCoy and Harvin make the difference.

It's true but going into that 2012 season can you imagine what Falcons fans were thinking? Turner had just come off a 1,300 yard 11 td season. Jones was just coming off his rookie campaign. White was still looking good. Gonzales was still very effective. Only downside was Douglas.

Tough call.

It's true but going into that 2012 season can you imagine what Falcons fans were thinking? Turner had just come off a 1,300 yard 11 td season. Jones was just coming off his rookie campaign. White was still looking good. Gonzales was still very effective. Only downside was Douglas.

Tough call.

Yeah. Really tough call. If Gonzalez was a couple years younger I think it would be a clear Falcons choice. I also have an affinity for star players and I think the Bills, in Watkins and McCoy, have two star players. That Falcon team had one, in Jones. I'm not sure Gonzalez was still a star player at that time, maybe slightly below. Turner was very good but not a star.

I agree, we are super talented. But you have to prove it. Remember the hype about the Dream Team Eagles? Let's just start the season.

And I hate them, but the Cowboys last year are really talented.

Cowboys last year were the first team to come to my mind

Dez >>> Sammy

Woods > Terrance Williams

Witten > Clay

McCoy >= Demarco (depends on health & team style)

Harvin > Beasley/Escobar (Personally Harvin scares me, boom or bust guy)

Bengals (If counting Gio Bernard over their 3rd WR - Green / Hill / Bernard / Eifert / Jones or Sanu (their weak spot))

Steelers (Antonio / Bell / Wheaton / Bryant (I'm a big Bryant fan) / Heath Miller (on the downside now))

Bears (Marshall / Jeffery / Forte / Bennett / Marquess Wilson (their weak spot though he could shock some people this year))

Cowboys last year were the first team to come to my mind

Dez >>> Sammy

Woods > Terrance Williams

Witten > Clay

McCoy >= Demarco (depends on health & team style)

Harvin > Beasley/Escobar (Personally Harvin scares me, boom or bust guy)

Bengals (If counting Gio Bernard over their 3rd WR - Green / Hill / Bernard / Eifert / Jones or Sanu (their weak spot))

Steelers (Antonio / Bell / Wheaton / Bryant (I'm a big Bryant fan) / Heath Miller (on the downside now))

Bears (Marshall / Jeffery / Forte / Bennett / Marquess Wilson (their weak spot though he could shock some people this year))

with all of those teams I got to 4 but not 5 guys who scare a DC.

How about this one:

2009 San Diego Chargers

Malcolm Floyd, Vincent Jackson, Antonio Gates, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Darren Sproles

I was trying to think of those LT Charger teams because LT and Gates were both stars. And Sproles was so good too. But not as good as Harvin.

They were as talented or more. That's another very good one. Gates being so good and so much better than Clay may put them over the top. You may not take them only because you can't really play all five at once. I guess sometimes LT and Sproles played together but neither of them were really all that great split out wide (decent though). Their damage in the pass game was out of the backfield.

I think you can do more with our five. But that five may have been as talented.

That said. If you line them up one on one, we win three (Watkins, Woods, Harvin), they win one (Gates) and one wash (LT McCoy).