Whaley interview on WGR: "Make or break year for EJ"

Didn't really like Howard's thinking on EJ. I wouldn't just cut EJ if he's not named the starter on opening day. What if the competition between EJ and Cassel is sooo close that the coaches decide to go with the vet to allow EJ more fermenting.

i agreed more with Sal's take on what Whaley said. It's a make or break "year", not TC. He will be be here whether he wins the starting job or not. Yes howard is right that if he doesn't win the job isn't the writing on the wall that he didn't "make" it? Well, maybe. But their job isn't over when they identify a QB. Their job is to win games. And if Cassell were to get hurt, they are better off having both EJ and TT on the roster than they are TT and a rookie,esp. a rookie qb like they would be be able to get this year. Imo the decision on EJ should be made after the 2015 season. And trade value is inconsequential imo. They can't be worried about when they can get a late pick for him or not. That doesn't matter right now.

Also howard acting like they have no needs at all in this draft is way off. The talent at other positions in the 2nd and 3rd is better than it is at Qb. Taking a qb in either round is a reach. Next year is a better class imho.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i agreed more with Sal's take on what Whaley said. It's a make or break "year", not TC. He will be be here whether he wins the starting job or not. Yes howard is right that if he doesn't win the job isn't the writing on the wall that he didn't "make" it? Well, maybe. But their job isn't over when they identify a QB. Their job is to win games. And if Cassell were to get hurt, they are better off having both EJ and TT on the roster than they are TT and a rookie,esp. a rookie qb like they would be likely be able to get. Imo the decision on EJ should be made after the 2015 season. And trade value is inconsequential imo. They can't be worried about when they can get a late pick for him or not. That doesn't matter right now.

Also howard acting like they have no needs at all in this draft is way off. The talent at other positions in the 2nd and 3rd is better than it is at Qb. Taking a qb in either round is a reach imo.

Yeah, we could use at least 1 OL and quality depth at DL, LB, and Safety imo. But I think Whaley just sort of dismissively agreed because he doesn't want to say much of anything at this point

Just to provide some context, as I recall from listening this morning, those words were in the question. Again, if I recall correctly, the answer was something along the lines of EJ would say that himself. This may not mean anything or it may mean a lot. It is worth noting that DW also said that they are by no means giving up on EJ and do believe in him. Time will tell.

As an aside, most of the time, I like Howard, but there are times when he interrupts his guest or tries to push his own narrative. When DW was beginning to give his answer about drafting BPA v. need and how close the two players would have to be, Howard interrupted him a couple of times mid sentence. I wanted to hear what DW had to say about this and not Howard's interjection.

Just my two cents.

Just to provide some context, as I recall from listening this morning, those words were in the question. Again, if I recall correctly, the answer was something along the lines of EJ would say that himself. This may not mean anything or it may mean a lot. It is worth noting that DW also said that they are by no means giving up on EJ and do believe in him. Time will tell.

As an aside, most of the time, I like Howard, but there are times when he interrupts his guest or tries to push his own narrative. When DW was beginning to give his answer about drafting BPA v. need and how close the two players would have to be, Howard interrupted him a couple of times mid sentence. I wanted to hear what DW had to say about this and not Howard's interjection.

Just my two cents.

yes - correct. They asked DW if it was a make or break year for EJ and he said that it was. And added EJ would say himself that it was. He said EJ has not proven he can do the job. And that he has continued to try to work very hard to prove himself. He will have this year to show whether it has paid off.

yes - correct. They asked DW if it was a make or break year for EJ and he said that it was. And added EJ would say himself that it was. He said EJ has not proven he can do the job. And that he has continued to try to work very hard to prove himself. He will have this year to show whether it has paid off.

Yep. Whaley also made it very clear that EJ and DeBerg were not trying to change the way EJ throws, just tweak what he does well so he is more efficient and consistent.

They might be putting it out there that they might take a QB.....but I doubt it

Taking a QB high would do nothing more then be another of the same type of attempt with EJ Manuel........

If they want to take a project late....fine....but their will be legit starting talent in that 2nd and 3rd round

They are keeping Cassel as their veteran starter fall back plan. They are giving EJ one last shot to show he can be the man. Rex loves Taylor and wants to give him a chance. There is simply no room for a QB in the second or third round. The only chance is if a guy they had rated 10 spots above where they draft is still available, and since it's QB that's unlikely. Whaley also said the obvious, that you cannot draft a guy in the second or third round for the practice squad, he has to be on the roster.

To me there is about a 1% chance they draft a QB in round two or three considering all of the factors this particular season.

1[ Guys who will be available.

2] Three QBs already on the roster for specific reasons.

3] The need for at least one more quality OL and some backup depth at a few more positions.

4] The win right now position the team is in going into 2015.

They are keeping Cassel as their veteran starter fall back plan. They are giving EJ one last shot to show he can be the man. Rex loves Taylor and wants to give him a chance. There is simply no room for a QB in the second or third round. The only chance is if a guy they had rated 10 spots above where they draft is still available, and since it's QB that's unlikely. Whaley also said the obvious, that you cannot draft a guy in the second or third round for the practice squad, he has to be on the roster.

To me there is about a 1% chance they draft a QB in round two or three considering all of the factors this particular season.

1[ Guys who will be available.

2] Three QBs already on the roster for specific reasons.

3] The need for at least one more quality OL and some backup depth at a few more positions.

4] The win right now position the team is in going into 2015.

I agree.

In my opinion, there is a very good chance that the Bills are able to draft a guard (for example) in the second round that can come in and play right away. If that is the case, it would seem to me that there is a lot more value (both in terms of the draft pick and the success of the team this coming season) to do something like that.

Just my two cents.

This is a "make" year for EJ. No "break" in my mind whatsoever.

refreshing optimism. He has the right attitude and works hard. I sure hope it all comes together

3 years in and coming off being benched, I'm not sure why that would even be news. If anything, that he's getting another shot here is news, but given context of the last couple years even that's not very surprising