Tony Romo talks about Patriots (foot)balls

Terrible show with terrible new Country crap

Agreed. Country music used to be about mama, trains, trucks, prison, and getting drunk. Now it's just pop music with a slide guitar and/or fiddle thrown in there as an after thought to make it sound country. The lyrics boil down to "Hey. I live in the south/small town/on a farm/in America, and you do too. Them northerners/city folk don't understand our simple life. Buy my record. Oh, and here's my obligatory ass kissing reference to Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson/Hank Williams."

Agreed. Country music used to be about mama, trains, trucks, prison, and getting drunk. Now it's just pop music with a slide guitar and/or fiddle thrown in there as an after thought to make it sound country. The lyrics boil down to "Hey. I live in the south/small town/on a farm/in America, and you do too. Them northerners/city folk don't understand our simple life. Buy my record. Oh, and here's my obligatory ass kissing reference to Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson/Hank Williams."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vapt5C3yDeY

Nailed it.

I used to be quite neutral to modern country music. I was almost sure that when I moved to Texas that the stuff would grow on me. It's had the opposite effect though. I can't stand it now. There is some good stuff, but nothing you'll find on the radio.

99.9% of the music you find on the radio no matter what genre is horrible. You have to search high and low to find good music these days, not the cookie cutter crap they play on the radio.

Not a fan of country, but who ever put this together did a bang up job.

Not a fan of country, but who ever put this together did a bang up job.

i couldnt resist posting it in reply to TRBJ complaining about the cliche country songs.... its just amazing how formulaic the radio hits are. i mean, it makes sense, but it still blows my mind how close to the same they all are...

This is beautiful! I couldn't find it on iTunes to download...

Well I was drunk, the day my mom, got out of prison,

And I went, to pick her up, in the rain,

But before, I could get to the station in my pickup, truck.....

As a musician and song writer, I can't tell you how it burns my ass that the right producer and engineers can literally make a chimpanzee sound like a superstar in today's modern studio. Talent has taken a backseat to image. Music is an art form, and any art form is based on originality and effect. We are force fed what the labels want us to hear from their "assembly line" style trash. I would say don't get me started but it's too late for that now haha

As a musician and song writer, I can't tell you how it burns my ass that the right producer and engineers can literally make a chimpanzee sound like a superstar in today's modern studio. Talent has taken a backseat to image. Music is an art form, and any art form is based on originality and effect. We are force fed what the labels want us to hear from their "assembly line" style trash. I would say don't get me started but it's too late for that now haha

To be fair, that's been going on forever, granted It's even worse now. What did Elvis have that Chuck Berry didn't other than white skin, ten years of youth, and better looks?

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Senior, and some of Junior's stuff, Charlie Daniels, David Allan Coe. Open up your mind.

Johnny Cash has written a few songs I found pleasure in.

As a musical genre, Country music sucks.

I'm entitled to my opinion...I play 2 instruments, write music, and listen to almost all genres of music.

My mind is open.

Country music just sucks.

To be fair, that's been going on forever, granted It's even worse now. What did Elvis ha

ve that Chuck Berry didn't other than white skin, ten years of youth, and better looks?

Elvis actually had a very nice smooth voice. The guy could croon. He didn't need pitch correction, digitalization, chorus. And all the other effects that half these "artists" use nowadays. Don't get me wrong there are some talented artists out there, but you would be surprised how many of them actually can't sing without serious vocal mods on their tracks.

Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Senior, and some of Junior's stuff, Charlie Daniels, David Allan Coe. Open up your mind.

I always felt Charlie Daniels was more "southern rock" than "country," myself.

Genre boundaries are always pretty vague, particularly in this day and age. My best rule of thumb for defining "country" is: if I can't imagine hearing it on Hee-Haw, it ain't country.

Music is also entertainment and a business. Getting upset about the formulaic mass produced music is akin to getting upset over the concept that fast food restaurants are successful.

Music is also entertainment and a business. Getting upset about the formulaic mass produced music is akin to getting upset over the concept that fast food restaurants are successful.

Ultimately, I get both - but that doesn't mean either are good

That's actually an excellent analogy. It's all dumbed-down and bland so it will appeal to the broadest tastes, and packaged & presented to make an impression visually while having little-to-no substance.

I've been a musician & songwriter for most of my life, and there's not much music that I actually listen to. Most of the time I prefer to make my own.

I find it funny that people who hate country music have to tell you they hate it, without even being asked.

Must be an insecurity or something.

Also that country music mashup, some of the songs are sped up and keys changed, but it would take about 5 seconds to look that up, but who wants to do that.

Also, they are millionaires and we all are not, they must be doing something right....

It's America! You can sue all of them and their ex-wives, dogs, etc.

Just curious. Whats your favorite genre?

Edited by CountDorkula

I find it funny that people who hate country music have to tell you they hate it, without even being asked.

Must be an insecurity or something.

Also that country music mashup, some of the songs are sped up and keys changed, but it would take about 5 seconds to look that up, but who wants to do that.

Also, they are millionaires and we all are not, they must be doing something right....

Just curious. Whats your favorite genre?

While that may be true, you can't deny that those songs are all basically the same, with enough minor differences to sound unique.

I'm a musician. I don't like most popular music, but there have always been manufactured acts. It is really the consumers that don't demand more challenging or variety of music. Apparently, most people will eat and enjoy whatever is served to them. Trying to convert the masses to "sophisticated jazz", or displays of instrumental prowess is futile. That kind of thing has never been popular without some window dressing. Miles Davis needed those cool suits.

As far as people getting upset about image being so important, I think that is usually sour grapes. To expect to be a "star" without embodying a myth, is unrealistic. The broader the audience, the closer the performer must embody a myth.

If a performer isn't attractive in the "traditional" sense, they must find a suitable mythic character to embody. Someone like John Rebennacks, a short, squat, average joe, played for years as a session musician, but when he found a character he could pull off,"Dr. John", he found an audience. Elton John... same kind of thing. Janis Joplin knew who she was, and went with it. Lady Gaga is no beauty. Adele...Amy Winehouse...plenty of average people that figured out what about themselves, a broad audience could relate to.

Tony Romo will never be as cool as Tom Brady (who isn't very cool).

Edited by HoF Watkins

I agree with everyone that says there has always been manufactured acts without talent. However I think country music used to be different. Pop and rock music always had a superficial surface. Just look at McCartney signing Hey Jude at a royal proceeding and you'll know what I mean. Rock and pop is filled with boy bands and superficial stuff since the beginning. As much as I love rock music there have always been acts that showed no dignity. Country used to be different. I didn't get into country music until about five years ago, and the country music that I discovered was the classic stuff. I always thought I hated country music because as a child of the 90s all I knew was today's modern country garbage. Real music fans are so turned off by today's country because it used to be the last real American Art form. Although not completely true it once seemed removed from corporate agendas. If you lived in rural West Virginia your favorite singer might even show up at your local country fair. Country acts used to play everywhere. Now they play the summer shed circuit at places like DL in suburban areas for soccer moms. Country singers also had a certain level of " street cred" they lived a crazy life and sang about it. Today's guys are a bunch of former frat boys that think doing a keg stand is wild. Just pretty boys picked by record execs to sell records. Classic country guys like Merle Haggard and David Allan Coe have legit claims. No one cared how attractive the classic acts were, it was all about music and story telling. Rock music always had the pretty boy element while country didn't. Basically country has been ruined by becoming more like pop. So those of you who say it's always been that way, you're right. However, country used to be different. Tom Petty said something recently that "today's country is like bad 70s Rock with a fiddle" I thought that was the perfect analogy.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I agree with everyone that says there has always been manufactured acts without talent. However I think country music used to be different. Pop and rock music always had a superficial surface. Just look at McCartney signing Hey Jude at a royal proceeding and you'll know what I mean. Rock and pop is filled with boy bands and superficial stuff since the beginning. As much as I love rock music there have always been acts that showed no dignity. Country used to be different. I didn't get into country music until about five years ago, and the country music that I discovered was the classic stuff. I always thought I hated country music because as a child of the 90s all I knew was today's modern country garbage. Real music fans are so turned off by today's country because it used to be the last real American Art form. Although not completely true it once seemed removed from corporate agendas. If you lived in rural West Virginia your favorite singer might even show up at your local country fair. Country acts used to play everywhere. Now they play the summer shed circuit at places like DL in suburban areas for soccer moms. Country singers also had a certain level of " street cred" they lived a crazy life and sang about it. Today's guys are a bunch of former frat boys that think doing a keg stand is wild. Just pretty boys picked by record execs to sell records. Classic country guys like Merle and David Allan Coe have legit claims. No one cared how attractive the classic acts were, it was all about music and story telling. Rock music always had the pretty boy element while country didn't. Basically country has been ruined by becoming more like pop. So those of you who say it's always been that way, you're right. However, country used to be different. Tom Petty said something recently that "today's country is like bad 70s Rock with a fiddle" I thought that was the perfect analogy.

I think the mainstream country acts have always been image conscious. It's not really just about being good looking. It's about having a simple image that the mass audience can relate to.

Grand Ole Opry, 1947. Plenty of image calculation here...

Grand_Ole_Opry_performers_at_Carnegie_Ha

Country music is no more "authentic" than rock. Plenty of slick, attractive (in the country way) performers were part of "The Nashville Sound" going way back. "Outlaw Country" is kind of like "Punk Rock", a reaction to the slickness of the more popular acts. Those movements kind of ebb and flow, popularity wise (with slickness usually in the lead). But that Yin and Yang element is always there, in Rock or Country (or Hip Hop, or Jazz, or any style).

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think the mainstream country acts have always been image conscious. It's not really just about being good looking. It's about having a simple image that the mass audience can relate to.

Grand Ole Opry, 1947

I totally agree image has always been important. To be country you had to look country. However, in your previous post you mentioned people like Elton John, Amy Winehouse, and Lady Gaga in the pop music world. None of them are attractive in the traditional sense and they had to create an image. Thats exactly what country music today doesn't have. You must be traditonally good looking to make it. It's not simply image anymore. At least pop gives people other ways to express themselves behind movie star looks. Just look at every male country star today. They all have movie star looks, and all the women have bleach blonde traditional american beauty looks.

Grand_Ole_Opry_performers_at_Carnegie_Ha

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

It could be true, but I haven't paid attention to any country music (except Sirius Radio, WIllie's Roadhouse, which is old stuff), except to laugh at it every now and then with my daughter when I drop her off at school.

Regardless, I'm certain there are good country acts out there if you dig. Eventually there will be a reactionary movement...."Grunge Country"!