Article: Can David Lee improve the Bills' QB situation?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his prior stint here, Lee tried to "fix" Fitz and I thought he actually regressed. It was almost like you could see the wheels turning as he thought about technique rather being his natural gunslinger self.

Maybe E.J. will be more successful in being coached up, but I'm not sold on Lee's ability to be that guy...

The whole "teaching old dogs new tricks" things

Somehow I dont think EJ falls into this category

Hopefully whatever Lee is teaching him, goes with what DeBerg was teaching him, otherwise it's a lot of time wasted... EJ needs repetition to gain the muscle memory.

A lot of times the off season stuff they work on muscle memory kind of stuff. DeBerg in no way is trying to get EJ to change his style and mechanics and to throw the ball differently. DeBerg is getting him to refine what does now so it's consistent and doesn't break down.

Different teams want QBs to have different steps, drops, timing, etc, that is unique to its offense. That is what Lee will be teaching him. Those are mutually exclusive and not like having too many people in your ear or conflicting teaching.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/21360022.php?contentType=4&contentId=17225117

The logo is the same, but pretty much everything else surrounding the Buffalo Bills is different since quarterbacks coach David Lee was last a member of the Bills coaching staff.

Because it worked so well with Fitzpatrick?

The whole "teaching old dogs new tricks" things

Somehow I dont think EJ falls into this category

Mmm, no but Cassel does

EJ made it clear that he wants to get back to being "Himself" and use his legs more. He kept repeating that in his interview.

It's obvious that Marrone and Co wanted him to throw more and run less. That made him something he wasn't, and put him in an uncomfortable situation to where he struggled.

Ryan and Roman preach gameplanning based on a players strength, not making them try to do something they aren't comfortable doing. With Lee now coming out and telling EJ to run more, along with EJ making it clear that he feels comfortable running more, it seems that coach and player are finally on the same page.

While this doesn't change his accuracy issues, I believe Marrone's attempt into making him something he wasn't made him think too much in the pocket, which led to mistakes. The mistakes cut into his confidence, which stunted other areas of his growth, such as accuracy.

I think allowing EJ to be his natural self and increase his confidence ( as well as the training he received from DeBerg over the winter) will result in a different player come summertime. Hopefully he puts it together. If he does, this will be a very dangerous team.

Lee is his QB coach in Buffalo. DeBerg was an outside consultant in the offseason that EJ paid to help him develop.

EJ wants to do more of what he's most comfortable doing. That's fine but successful starting NFL quarterbacks need to also be comfortable passing. EJ has never looked comfortable passing. If Lee can work miracles, that's also fine. But I'm from Missouri on EJ.

Yeah this article makes me think that Lee is going to complicate the position by making things more difficult than they need to be. He did the same thing with Fitz and it seemed to hurt him.

When a QB has to think instead of react isn't a good thing.

Telling a player "forget everything and start from scratch by listening to me" is not a good sign. This article makes me nervous and questions whether Lee is the right man for the job or is his ways not applicable in the NFL anymore.

All valid points. In the older days, before the current CBA, coaches could work with players in the offseason. McCarthy was noted for running QB camps that Rodgers credits for helping him develop.

One can relearn throwing technique I believe, but starting in April or May is leaving it way too late - whatever one is doing needs to start as early as possible and run hard all offseason.

When did it say that Lee's approach will be "forget everything and start from scratch by listening to me" though?

EJ wants to do more of what he's most comfortable doing. That's fine but successful starting NFL quarterbacks need to also be comfortable passing. EJ has never looked comfortable passing. If Lee can work miracles, that's also fine. But I'm from Missouri on EJ.

It's not just the passing, but EJ overuses that spin move of his. The problem with a spin move for a QB is it requires the QB to take his eye off downfield. That's why the best elusive QB step up, or sideways, or duck, whatever - while keeping their eyes downfield until the last minute to see if there's a play.

Still all in all - I want EJ to flame out, if he flames out, leaving it all out there. So if Lee will coach him to do that I'm good.

Edited by Hopeful

We couldn't throw a football 7 yards with two throws, but I've seen enough of EJ Manuel to tell he can not play in the NFL. Do we know this from our years in the league - nope not only have we never played football we've never played any sport of any kind. Did we spend time learning to evaluate talent then becoming a scout or coach -of course not. Can a player become better from his rookie year to his third year? We have no idea but we've seen enough to tell EJ is done.

Thanks for listening

Howard Simon and Mike Schoop

We couldn't throw a football 7 yards with two throws, but I've seen enough of EJ Manuel to tell he can not play in the NFL. Do we know this from our years in the league - nope not only have we never played football we've never played any sport of any kind. Did we spend time learning to evaluate talent then becoming a scout or coach -of course not. Can a player become better from his rookie year to his third year? We have no idea but we've seen enough to tell EJ is done.

Thanks for listening

Howard Simon and Mike Schoop

Lol

Someone please explain the "I'm from Missouri" part

NFL QB coaches are as useful as MLB batting instructors, and both are less useful than breasts on a bull.

you want to help an inexperienced NFL QB?

then concentrate on the environment he has to execute in.

give him a good O-line, a strong running game, a creative passing game, and decent field position.

the closer you get to giving him those - the better he'll play.

It was interesting that Lee mentioned the Offense, Roman is running in regard to Cassel's experience. Lee said he will have to throw away his previous methods and start learning to read defenses differently. Kind of an equalizer for the QBs. I suspect Matt will come around mentally quickest and be quite the asset to EJ.

What Deberg and Lee are doing with EJ are different things but not separate ,as mentioned.

Lee is coaching Romans offense to our QB staff i think .

Yeah this article makes me think that Lee is going to complicate the position by making things more difficult than they need to be. He did the same thing with Fitz and it seemed to hurt him.

When a QB has to think instead of react isn't a good thing.

Telling a player "forget everything and start from scratch by listening to me" is not a good sign. This article makes me nervous and questions whether Lee is the right man for the job or is his ways not applicable in the NFL anymore.

The reason given is pretty clear, IMO. He (Lee) said this is an entirely new offense that Roman only tinkered with (West Coast Updated). Lee himself said he's still learning it so he's emphasized to his charges to 'Forget everything' and attack anew.

Kinda scared me frankly, as my biggest concern for this year is how long it will take the players to be comfortable enough in the system to know what to do, let alone blindly trust their teammate to pull his weight. Case in point; yes, the best QB's seem to always be in the playoffs, but their coaches and system have been in place for years -allowing players to freelance within those confines and improve. I doubt we'll see anything other than rigid compliance this season- inevitably resulting in tough losses.. Again, just my opinion..

The reason given is pretty clear, IMO. He (Lee) said this is an entirely new offense that Roman only tinkered with (West Coast Updated). Lee himself said he's still learning it so he's emphasized to his charges to 'Forget everything' and attack anew.

Kinda scared me frankly, as my biggest concern for this year is how long it will take the players to be comfortable enough in the system to know what to do, let alone blindly trust their teammate to pull his weight. Case in point; yes, the best QB's seem to always be in the playoffs, but their coaches and system have been in place for years -allowing players to freelance within those confines and improve. I doubt we'll see anything other than rigid compliance this season- inevitably resulting in tough losses.. Again, just my opinion..

The Niners went from 6-10 to 13-3 with a new offensive system when Harbaugh and Roman came in. Alex Smith went from a 82 QB rating to a 90. The Niners went from 19th in rushing to 8th.