Interesting Tidbits from Ross Tucker this morning

plenzmd1

Only heard a few minutes, but he was discussing incentives for playing time and how they can affect guys.

1) caught tail end of him talking about Sam Adams in last game of year, Bills getting beat like 24-0, and Williams pulls Big Sam. GW says wants to look at youngg players , Big Sam says you fugging with my bonus, you are getting fired anyway , so all you are doing is helping the next coach. Big Sam went back in next play.

2) Ross had a plaything time bonus of $350k for playing 80% of the snaps In the infamous Piitsburgh game, he had a herniated disk, but gutted it out to get bonus. It is what he said next that surprised me....playoff games count in the equation. He was somewhat relieved Bills lost, cause he did not think his back would hold up on that old Hoosier Dome field, and it would have cost him the bonus.

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's an interesting realization that sometimes players are more interested in making money than winning. i think a lot of these incentive based contracts need to change. make them more team oriented bonuses rather than individual. all they are doing is encouraging individual performance and "me first" types of players

that's an interesting realization that sometimes players are more interested in making money than winning. i think a lot of these incentive based contracts need to change. make them more team oriented bonuses rather than individual. all they are doing is encouraging individual performance and "me first" types of players

To me the easier solution is guaranteed contracts.

look no further then CJ Spiller and his rookie deal with bonuses. He met them in his 2nd or third year. He barely earned them. The guy played weak, had no heart. Now he is in NO and we may see him grow a pair just so he can put food on the table because he contract has to be loaded with escalators and performance incentives.

look no further then CJ Spiller and his rookie deal with bonuses. He met them in his 2nd or third year. He barely earned them. The guy played weak, had no heart.

That is total bullschitt. Regardless of whether you thought he was good or not, or ran hard into the hole, or got hurt every play, he always gutted games out. He came back early from every major injury. Played almost entire seasons hurt. That's a load of crap that he had no heart. Completely false.

Not to mention that you're wrong about the bonuses, too. That was not incentive bonuses. That was about whether or not he or The Bills had an option on the last year of his contract or not.

That is total bullschitt. Regardless of whether you thought he was good or not, or ran hard into the hole, or got hurt every play, he always gutted games out. He came back early from every major injury. Played almost entire seasons hurt. That's a load of crap that he had no heart. Completely false.

Not to mention that you're wrong about the bonuses, too. That was not incentive bonuses. That was about whether or not he or The Bills had an option on the last year of his contract or not.

Im not gonna question CJ Spillers heart.....

But i dont think he lasts the season

look no further then CJ Spiller and his rookie deal with bonuses. He met them in his 2nd or third year. He barely earned them. The guy played weak, had no heart. Now he is in NO and we may see him grow a pair just so he can put food on the table because he contract has to be loaded with escalators and performance incentives.

I think you are waaaaay too harsh here. First, the guy is a professional athlete - that is 1,000x more than you or I (or most of us on this message board) could do. Next, you have NO IDEA how hard he played and whether he had heart. Now, you can take issue with his running style, particularly trying to bounce everything wide, but I do not think that in any way equates to playing "weak".

Well said...

No doubt. But that ship sailed decades ago. The only way it changes is if the NFLPA somehow gets stronger and we have another painful strike/lockout.

Pretty much this^^ They are the weakest "union" (or players association) in all of sports for sure. Can you imagine what the NFL would look like if they had the MLBPA??? It would be a MUCH different world despite the national TV money.

It is very concerning to think that the structure of contracts could make a player want to lose. However, I think guys like Ross Tucker speak a lot to the culture of this team during the 00's. For some reason I just don't see too many guys having that type of attitude with Rex as coach. Ross was the journeyman type player that Donahoe seemed to love signing. The kind of guy that bounces from team to team with a less than stellar track record. Maybe that lack of competive fire is the reason he never stuck anywhere. Im not naive enough to think that there isn't a player on every team that doesn't care about winning, but when I look at this years roster I think we have more guys that do care about winning than maybe past years. As much as we all can't stand him I doubt Tom Brady would ever make a statement like that. True champions always want to win. That comment puts Tucker on my list all time least favorite Bills. Made me thinks that with the exception of Mormon and Moulds the 00's didn't have many likable players here. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I think you are waaaaay too harsh here. First, the guy is a professional athlete - that is 1,000x more than you or I (or most of us on this message board) could do. Next, you have NO IDEA how hard he played and whether he had heart. Now, you can take issue with his running style, particularly trying to bounce everything wide, but I do not think that in any way equates to playing "weak".

I could do it. That's no question. To the talent and level of play (speed, ability, etc) I could not perform as good. But I promise you. I could perform at that level physically.

argh. Am I really that bitter and disappointed that he hasn't panned out? That we drafted him and all? I guess I must be. I just don't see the guy having heart because there were games when you know he went in with effort and killed it. The night game a long way back when Fred was hurt and he ran solo, for example. He pocked the team up and carried them. That was the only time. Edited by jboyst62

No heart?

You got to be freaking kidding me. The guy played RB in the NFL with a high ankle sprain. Try walking around your house with a high ankle sprain.

To clarify, he did not say he did not care about winning.

And my gut says his base salary that year was $700k or so....for journeyman tackle $350k a lot of money. I was shocked the playoffs counted in the number is all. And that is what makes that counterintuitive from the teams standpoint IMO.

Heart.

http://www.patriots.com/video/2014/12/28/highlight-q2-kyle-orton-fumbles-patriots-recover

I could do it. That's no question. To the talent and level of play (speed, ability, etc) I could not perform as good. But I promise you. I could perform at that level physically.

argh. Am I really that bitter and disappointed that he hasn't panned out? That we drafted him and all? I guess I must be. I just don't see the guy having heart because there were games when you know he went in with effort and killed it. The night game a long way back when Fred was hurt and he ran solo, for example. He pocked the team up and carried them. That was the only time.

REALLY? are you saying that you could perform at the level of an NFL football player?

REALLY? are you saying that you could perform at the level of an NFL football player?

yes. But not at the skill. I am the size and in the shape of one of these guys. Guess you'll just have to take my word for it. I might would maybe need 3-4 weeks to get my cardio there if anything. But I can turn out a 6 min mile no problem, run a sub 5 40, blablabla.

The skill is the only thing I do not have. The ability to catch the ball like an elite player or the technique down to make a perfect 5 step drop, etc.

Of course I sound like a pompous fool because this is the Internets. But a lot of what it takes to be a professional (in anything) is desire and attitude. My aptitude, my personality, my size are all built for athleticism

To me the easier solution is guaranteed contracts.

Honestly I wouldn't trust those same players to get guaranteed money... If they got it then they probably would stop trying.

yes. But not at the skill. I am the size and in the shape of one of these guys. Guess you'll just have to take my word for it. I might would maybe need 3-4 weeks to get my cardio there if anything. But I can turn out a 6 min mile no problem, run a sub 5 40, blablabla.

The skill is the only thing I do not have. The ability to catch the ball like an elite player or the technique down to make a perfect 5 step drop, etc.

Of course I sound like a pompous fool because this is the Internets. But a lot of what it takes to be a professional (in anything) is desire and attitude. My aptitude, my personality, my size are all built for athleticism

So in other words... No you wouldn't...