NFL hires first female official

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 as hiring more women is a pretty clear route to improving referee talent. IF (there is a question of how big of an IF this is as competency does not appear to be the biggest factor in the good ol boy NFL world) then adding women to the talent pool means that the first hires will be the most competent women and the first fires will be the least competent men.

Just as was the case when the NFL had zero or near zero HCs or QBs of African-American descent, the first hires will be the Tony Dungy's and Doug Williams' and the first fires will be the Ryan Leafs and Doug Marrones.

Are there women capable of not blowing the call on the opening coin toss as NFL ref Phil Luckett did on a nationally televised game a couple of years ago?

Hiring the best women refs is one of the quickest ways the NFL can improve their talent pool!

was she hired because she is a woman? does she have the background, the cred? is she this year's version of michael sam and the NFL trying to be PC? (also, walt coleman's son hired!!!!!!!!!, it never ends)

Edited by dwight in philly

+1 as hiring more women is a pretty clear route to improving referee talent. IF (there is a question of how big of an IF this is as competency does not appear to be the biggest factor in the good ol boy NFL world) then adding women to the talent pool means that the first hires will be the most competent women and the first fires will be the least competent men.

Just as was the case when the NFL had zero or near zero HCs or QBs of African-American descent, the first hires will be the Tony Dungy's and Doug Williams' and the first fires will be the Ryan Leafs and Doug Marrones.

Are there women capable of not blowing the call on the opening coin toss as NFL ref Phil Luckett did on a nationally televised game a couple of years ago?

Hiring the best women refs is one of the quickest ways the NFL can improve their talent pool!

I wouldn't necessarily bet on that happening. Some of the worst have the most seniority and are just abysmal (see Hochuli, Ed)

not sure why this is a big deal. Sexism and Racism will not go away as long as this kind of attention is brought to it.

Are you arguing that sexism and racism are thus more likely to go away if we would simply just ignore these issues?

Boy, we could have saved John Lewis a few concussions if he and MLK had simply understood that walking across the Edmund Pettus bridge was the worst thing they could do to call for equal rights for blacks.

The NFL handled this EXACTLY how they should have handled it. They announced the hiring of 9 new first year officials which included her. They didn't make it into a media spectacle. I'll be most interested in the player response on the field. I imagine some will be sexist a-holes. As long as she does a good job, good for the NFL.

can't be worse than the Walt brothers Coleman and Anderson or Patriots bring along ref Bill Leavy....I know she wont be the head official but it's over due to weed out the 30 year vets 70 years old trying to run with 22 world class athletes

Edited by CardinalScotts

Are you arguing that sexism and racism are thus more likely to go away if we would simply just ignore these issues?

Boy, we could have saved John Lewis a few concussions if he and MLK had simply understood that walking across the Edmund Pettus bridge was the worst thing they could do to call for equal rights for blacks.

The fact that a move like this is positive PR sorta demonstrates that it's unnecessary.

What...

was she hired because she is a woman? does she have the background, the cred? is she this year's version of michael sam and the NFL trying to be PC? (also, walt coleman's son hired!!!!!!!!!, it never ends)

no they just hired the first woman they saw walking out of the hair salon. seriously?

Somewhat agree. Still, it is groundbreaking. I just wish it wasn't so obvious what the NFL is trying to do.

you mean break down barriers? yea I wish it weren't so obvious either.

....i just don't get the cynicism.

Edited by 87168