Article - "Ryan talks a good game, but will wins follow?"

webtoe

Well Rex has always had top 10 defenses. He has always relied on the Ground and Pound. HIs former GM's got too reliant on Revis so when he left their secondary caved.

Rex has always had issues with QB's. It could be his fault or the GM's. I get the impression that Rex tends to stay out of personal and just coaches what he has. I think this is why Whaley/Rex get along for the most part. Whaley is the GM and responsible for obtaining players that his coaches require. He obviously collaborates well. This is why Doug Marrone and Doug Whaley came into conflict. Marrone wanted more control over personal like he had in college. It doesn't work that way.

Not sure this is totally accurate, he had some very good success with Sanchez for a few years. Success that we would be thrilled with for the next couple years.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed but it's hard to respect Sullivan or any of these loudmouth media members. Sullivan called Mario a loser on WGR 2 years ago. Did he ever apologize for being wrong when Mario has been an all pro the last 2 seasons? Or how about when he said the Bills should cut Dareus last offseason? Any accountability for Sullivan? Zero.

Everyone makes mistakes but I don't respect people who don't own up to them. 75% of sports media is a joke. A bunch of geeks who never played a sport in hteir life taking shots at guys who could break them in half. Sullivan is awful. The voice of the miserable.

Lots of people called Mario and Darius losers on this board over the last three years.

Sullivan's job is not to fill the paper with BS ensuring you all go to bed happy; it is to offer an honest critique. If Sully has been wrong, please remind of the last playoff experience for the Bills? Does 1999 sound about right!

When I talked to Jets fans I play basketball with, after the signing happened, they basically all said that he's a good coach, that was screwed over by a bad FO. They predicted he'll do well in Buffalo, and the Bills will instantly be better for hiring him.

Lots of people called Mario and Darius losers on this board over the last three years.

Sullivan's job is not to fill the paper with BS ensuring you all go to bed happy; it is to offer an honest critique. If Sully has been wrong, please remind of the last playoff experience for the Bills? Does 1999 sound about right!

Is that what you think he's doing?? :lol: Funny you brought up Dareus because Sully's "honest" take was to cut him after the drag racing incident. Yeah, that's brilliant.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Is that what you think he's doing?? :lol: Funny you brought up Dareus because Sully's "honest" take was to cut him after the drag racing incident. Yeah, that's brilliant.

Maybe brilliant maybe not! Just an opinion, if it upsets you that much don't read his column, if enough stop reading his column he goes way. I have more important things to worry about.

As far as Jerry goes, take a trip across memory lane and read past posts on this board. Not much different, again just opinions, who cares!

Rex is acting now just like he did when he went to the Jets where he ended up going down in spectacular flames. Just look at the tat and the truck for example. He likes to talk, and likes to be a spectacle. I am basically ignoring all the bull **** right now. We will see soon enough what kind of a head coach he really is. He certainly has more than enough talent on this team to make the playoffs. He could not backup his talk in NYC, lets see how he does on a Bills team loaded with talent.

Rex is acting now just like he did when he went to the Jets where he ended up going down in spectacular flames. Just look at the tat and the truck for example. He likes to talk, and likes to be a spectacle. I am basically ignoring all the bull **** right now. We will see soon enough what kind of a head coach he really is. He certainly has more than enough talent on this team to make the playoffs. He could not backup his talk in NYC, lets see how he does on a Bills team loaded with talent.

Back to back trips to the AFC title game is "going down in spectacular flames"?

Just perusing the arcticles on TBD and it is really striking how easy it is to pick out articles written by Sullivan or Gleason. I am sure this one is written by Jerry, but I refuse to click on it, just to read another in the long line of articles with a negative spin.

I am all in favor of writing critical objective articles, but an article before even the draft takes place with that angle adds no value, and unfortunately is indicative of the drivel continuosuly provide.

I really think Sullivan may just be shooting for Rodak's job at ESPN.

Not sure if you remembered but in his earlier years, they went to back to back AFC Championship games. He only failed as the Jets coach because he was set up to fail. If he's given the tools to succeed, he knows how to use them. IMO he was done wrong in NJ and is a good coach.

Maybe brilliant maybe not! Just an opinion, if it upsets you that much don't read his column, if enough stop reading his column he goes way. I have more important things to worry about.

As far as Jerry goes, take a trip across memory lane and read past posts on this board. Not much different, again just opinions, who cares!

I actually don't read his stuff. Only when someone notices something silly by him and brings it up here. And then I read if only to comment on it. If you think he's so honest in his opinions fine. I find his stuff to be tedious and relentlessly pessimistic. Maybe that's why he pushes your buttons.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Agreed but it's hard to respect Sullivan or any of these loudmouth media members. Sullivan called Mario a loser on WGR 2 years ago. Did he ever apologize for being wrong when Mario has been an all pro the last 2 seasons? Or how about when he said the Bills should cut Dareus last offseason? Any accountability for Sullivan? Zero.

Everyone makes mistakes but I don't respect people who don't own up to them. 75% of sports media is a joke. A bunch of geeks who never played a sport in hteir life taking shots at guys who could break them in half. Sullivan is awful. The voice of the miserable.

You're under an assumption that sullivan's job is to be 'right'. You may *think* that his job or that his job is to report on Buffalo sports. That's not his job. His job is to attract attention. In your case, he has clearly done so and succeeded at his job.

All the Bills need to do is commit to an offensive scheme and run with it. no pun intended and they can improve that w/l record. and yes with EJ

The Bills were 9-7 *(putz 3rd string wk 17) and they can improve if they can eliminate one of the leagues leaders in 3 and outs

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I actually don't read his stuff. Only when someone notices something silly by him and brings it up here. And then I read if only to comment on it. If you think he's so honest in his opinions fine. I find his stuff to be tedious and relentlessly pessimistic. Maybe that's why he pushes your buttons.

Don't push anything on me dude, just another reporter pushing opinions, don't lose no sleep over it and don't care either way!

You're under an assumption that sullivan's job is to be 'right'. You may *think* that his job or that his job is to report on Buffalo sports. That's not his job. His job is to attract attention. In your case, he has clearly done so and succeeded at his job.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Exactly!!

Nah. Guys like Rodak are a dime-a-dozen and are paid accordingly. Jerry's got (by today's newspaper business standards, anyway) a pretty good gig at the Snooze...

Sully seems to be doing the easier thing which basically is to second guess a team which has produced an unsurpassed record of failing even to make the playoffs for over a decade and a half.

I guess his stick was new 15 years ago, but over time with the failure by him to provide much in the way on new insights or attitudes his work has proceeded into Wednesday Morning quarterbacking, then Thursday morning "fresh" insights and after several years of failure has lapsed into simply providing old news.

This contradiction is why I think many readers simply find his work a pathetic read.

Could/should have he have done something different?

Yes, if he was good at his work.

Felser was the usual young upstart as a young writer who made his bones through his tireless work, he showed some willingness to point out problems with the Bills approaches in the 80s and 90s so that he as seen as an independent agent but also maintained his inside contacts. Felser ended his career gracefully as a grand l man.

Carucci also found a different path he also began with making tough analysis but seems to have migrated (matured?) to a "personality" focus. He co-wrote books with a # of Bills stars. his career path saw him move out of town until he returned.

Sullivan on the other hand has mostly seems to try to remain an angry young man and really has offered no new insights as a writer. His one foray into presenting something "different" was merely a foray into coping with middle-age by taking up golf.

In general. I think this came off as selfish navel gazing rather than good reporting.

In the end, Sully comes off as little more than a TV test pattern and makes a good argument for newspapers simply having one guy who sticks around (Felser) but they would have done Sully and his readers a favor by firing him.

Sullivan actually brings up a valid point. Jet's fans have first hand experience with this and would tell you the exact same thing.

That is because the average jets fan has a brain the size of a pea

I consider bills fans to be much more far sighted and football wise.

The jets certainly are not complaining about those 2 AFC Championships (with frankly....a lot less talent then what we have on this team right now)

The jets dont want to admit that Rex Ryan had a owner that was not working well with him

Rex Ryan's teams will ALWAYS be very good on defense

His first two seasons there I believe. And then?

And then? We dont know.....but those 2 years did in fact happen.

We do know that there is a span of years where the GM and Rex Ryan were not working well together. Last years Jets team didnt have alot of talent.

Apparently there is no threshold the Bills can reach that would bring out optimism in Jerry Sullivan. Sully always brings a full bladder to every parade.

I think it was the first year the team crashed from it's yearly lofty 7-9 status and dropped just a tad to 6-10 and stayed there. Anyway I tracked Sullivan's tweets during the home opener, and a couple of others. Fitztragic sucked but IMO Sullivan was upbeat and maybe even a bigger homer than most irrational fans. Your problem with Sullivan during this 15 YEAR period of suck is he fails to meet your strict and extremely narrow view of just what a "fan" is. When your team sucks and hoping the new coach turns it around there still is justifiably concern that this team is really ready to leave the AFCE dungeon. But its the annual off season paper champ syndrome that craps on any dissenting opinions of any part of this 0-0 team.

Myself I read his columns at times for just the comedic value. He owes nobody any apology's, and is a wimpier version of Joel Selvin a SF music critic in his prime 20+ years ago. Sully loves this and by not clicking well it's not effecting his paycheck. He will get yet another laugh when he reads this when one of his drinking buddy's points out yet another thread on him. These guys like him, feed on stirring the pot. If he is still tweeting at the opener check it out love him or hate him. He is a Bills fan that wants success just like anyone else. I remember the new head coach of the Bills guaranteeing some pretty crazy stuff with his last employer of which none of them ever happened. I do not remember any apologies other than standard coach talk. Sullivan is the least of Bills football problems.I wish he did stand up.

Somewhere out there I'm sure that there is a article by Sully saying if the Bills had a coach like Ryan they would win more. Much like the article last week that was found about Bucky when he was trashing the Sabres for tanking but a few years ago he said they needed a GM who would tank for draft position. Of course Graham and Harrington ran to his rescue but I never saw Sully peep. I think Vogel is now the only one left with blood in their vains.