Article: Quit Sleeping on EJ Manuel

I really hope we can make another move to shore up the OL, and I really hope whomever coaches them this year is a step up from Marrone and company. A solid OL will change things us dramatically. Imagine our RBs getting to the line of scrimmage without being hit. Imagine there being a hole or three to run through. Imagine the QB having time to go through his reads, instead of cowering if the first read is covered. I wonder if Dareus can block...

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope we can make another move to shore up the OL, and I really hope whomever coaches them this year is a step up from Marrone and company. A solid OL will change things us dramatically. Imagine our RBs getting to the line of scrimmage without being hit. Imagine there being a hole or three to run through. Imagine the QB having time to go through his reads, instead of cowering if the first read is covered. I wonder if Dareus can block...

it sounds like Rex has a great deal of confidence in Aaron Kromer.

I believe that EJ Manuel is currently the third best QB on the Bills.

Beware Tyrod Taylor.

The article was good though.

I put Tyrod over him but not cassell. I don't know man Tyrod plays Kaepernick ball better than Kaep to me. He has a good arm and can run the read option. I think he fits like hand in glove with the offense. Also i think ej has the same qualities. If he is allowed to do what he wants

Another amateur opinion piece masquerading as real journalism - but I tend to agree that EJ is not nearly as doomed as he is perceived to be. While he has been less than stellar, you can't say that he has been terrible. He could very well develop into The Guy.

It boils down to who has the best intuition when it comes to athleticism, play-calling, experience, and the other improvements necessary to put an individual in the best position. With our current Roster, I really think E.J. is going to step it up in the 3rd year! Lucky 3 for EJ's third year! Let's hope that it's his and the teams time! If not, I believe Tyrod has the best position in 2nd, but Cassell was commodity that is ready for a backup spot at the 2 position forcing tyrod off the squad for now.

I'm really just hoping that the pick on EJ we did is paying off, it'd be in Whaley's and the teams best interest! :P

Edited by gr8billsfan

Offensive scheme and more weapons won't make EJ more accurate. He couldn't hit wide open receivers, and nearly got Woods killed a couple of time early last year. His improvement will need to come from within, and I have serious doubts. I will continue to sleep on him till proven otherwise. I'm just not seeing it, other than his work ethic, and from what we see in the media, an extremely high character, and very likable guy.

Offensive scheme and more weapons won't make EJ more accurate. He couldn't hit wide open receivers, and nearly got Woods killed a couple of time early last year. His improvement will need to come from within, and I have serious doubts. I will continue to sleep on him till proven otherwise. I'm just not seeing it, other than his work ethic, and from what we see in the media, an extremely high character, and very likable guy.

I think with Marrone quiting, McCoy becoming the full time RB and having a true professional OC who knows what he’s doing, EJ Manuel is prime for a solid season as starting QB for the Bills. Yes, he has some weaknesses (even great QBs do) like his accuracy, but a QB like EJ can minimize it’s importance if he can prove to be accurate when the game is on the line in the fourth quarter. IMO he’s shown this ability. Were it not for two fumbles after picture perfect passes to Stevie and Chandler late in the game against Atlanta, Manuel has a 8-8 record and probably it’s better than that since the team completely checked out the following week. I see EJ as potentially a Joe Flacco type of franchise QB (not necessarily style wise), someone who is good enough to get the job done, but won’t wow anyone with his stats. Though it's funny that this article shows the huge gap in perception vs stats of a comparison of these young QBs. This is when the "EJ doesn't pass the eye test" people start popping up...LOL
Edited by 1billsfan

I myself am guilty of being overly critical of this kid but that's not fair. This offseason he goes into a wide open QB competition. He can write his own ticket from there. Last year he was interviewed after he lost his job to Orton and he said " I am not going to hold back the next time I get an opportunity" Well EJ brand new coaching staff and much improved offense. There is no more excuses. This is his chance to win this job and be the QB I think he's capable of being. The hardest part is he's such a good kid and you want him to succeed so bad. Here's to hoping he grabs this chance by the balls and leads us to the playoffs. I'm pulling for him. GO Bills!

Offensive scheme and more weapons won't make EJ more accurate. He couldn't hit wide open receivers, and nearly got Woods killed a couple of time early last year. His improvement will need to come

If we watched Kelly to Reed from a dozen games, I wonder if the same eyeballs would think Kelly was trying to get Reed killed?

How about Dalton to AJ Green?

Not saying that EJ wasn't inaccurate at times. One perception on that has to do with quick reads and decision making, but also precise route running. There were lots of knowledgeable commentators saying the Bills WR were lacking in that department. Brady* has been known to tell his WR "if you run the route *this way*, you won't have to reach for the ball". Brady was also quoted about young QB delaying a decision and that leading to an inaccurate ball, in the context of saying Luck is unusually advanced in that regard (or words to that effect)

However, at heart, football is a brutal game and one of the things great WR/QB combos do is make the plays and hold onto the ball. We expect the QB to step into the pocket and deliver the throw even if he knows he's going to get hammered. Don't we expect the same of the WR?

Edited by Hopeful

If we watched Kelly to Reed from a dozen games, I wonder if the same eyeballs would think Kelly was trying to get Reed killed?

How about Dalton to AJ Green?

Not saying that EJ wasn't inaccurate at times. One perception on that has to do with quick reads and decision making, but also precise route running. There were lots of knowledgeable commentators saying the Bills WR were lacking in that department. Brady* has been known to tell his WR "if you run the route *this way*, you won't have to reach for the ball". Brady was also quoted about young QB delaying a decision and that leading to an inaccurate ball, in the context of saying Luck is unusually advanced in that regard (or words to that effect)

However, at heart, football is a brutal game and one of the things great WR/QB combos do is make the plays and hold onto the ball. We expect the QB to step into the pocket and deliver the throw even if he knows he's going to get hammered. Don't we expect the same of the WR?

To your last sentence, that depends if the ball is going for a gain or not. Getting Goodwin killed for a 2 yard gain on 1st and 16 isn't okay. Edited by FireChan

Throw the ball where the defenders aren't.

When "great" QBs do it, they "placed the ball perfectly" and the receiver, "sacrificed his body to make a terrific catch."

When it's EJ --> Woods, "Manuel almost got him killed!"

If nothing else ... one way or another, these tired crusades will be over after this season.

This is considered attempted murder in 3 states.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Cse1d2IXA

It's so weird that EJ just didn't take off and run away from the defender on that play and instead rushed the throw to Woods. He must have been drilled by Marrone to stay in the pocket at all costs and not run, right? Because this stationary EJ is not the same player that played at Florida State.

It's so weird that EJ just didn't take off and run away from the defender on that play and instead rushed the throw to Woods. He must have been drilled by Marrone to stay in the pocket at all costs and not run, right? Because this stationary EJ is not the same player that played at Florida State.

Could be. He might be afraid of getting hurt for the 4th time in 13 games.

This is considered attempted murder in 3 states.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Cse1d2IXA

I have to wonder what would have happened if Goodwin kept running with the catch towards the sideline, vs turning infield. Not saying he wouldn't have gotten tackled, but I feel like the hit would have been minimized.

Edit: Nevermind, it was behind him. On first watch, it looked like he stopped to turn up field after the catch.

Edited by Dorkington