Is Jameis Winston really worth 1st pick overall?

Miami University - Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde.

Stanford - John Elway, Andrew Luck, Jim Plunkett

Purdue - Drew Brees, Bob Griese, Len Dawson

In my eyes, there are some colleges that produce players depending on their position. Miami University's put out great TE's. I know that Iowa puts out great o-lineman.

Obviously this isn't always the case and is never what scouts do but i do sometimes look at the college's alumni to see the quality of prospects they've put out.

Steve Bartlowski & Aaron Rodgers.

Tom Brady, Jim Harbaugh, Brian Griese, Elvis Grbac

Jim McMahon & Steve Young

Flutie, Hasselbeck & Ryan

Rivers & Russell Wilson (if you count him)

There are lots of them if you really start digging. I tried to use guys that went to at least 1 Pro Bowl as the bar.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're more than welcome to condemn a kid you've never met as much as you want because you read those exciting headlines and opinion pieces.

I fully recognize that he could do something stupid in the future. So could any other player. Peyton Manning (a guy you ignorantly claimed would never do such a thing) could sexually harass another woman and have to settle the case again. Is Jameis at risk more than most players? Absolutely. That's what happens when you're a star that makes a mistake. I'm sorry that you feel it's naiveté that I don't jump to hysterics over every thing that comes out about him.

I'm well aware Peyton had a run in while in college. He didn't follow it up with two more events in short order. You act like everything he's done is media concoction, there are A LOT of high profile QBs who haven't made headlines for actual things they've done. People aren't making up shoplifting or shouting vulgarities in a public setting. For a normal kid you'd say he's just being a kid, but for a franchise QB they are held to a higher standard. Put them in any proportion you want, they still scream immaturity.

I'm not the ignorant one here. I get it, you 100% buy into Jameis. There's only 1 QB prospect I've bought into 100% over the last 15 years and it's the one who had the maturity to stay an extra year at Stanford and get his degree when he could have been the slam dunk 1st overall pick. Jameis is striking the first chance he gets. Maturity is extremely important for the QB position. He hasn't shown it, regardless of what he's said in some interviews.

I completely agree with every word you typed. And would still draft him #1 overall if I am the Bucs in this particular draft.

Oh I would take him too if I actually had the pick, but I'd likely wake up in a cold sweat checking Twitter and ESPN every single night.

I'm well aware Peyton had a run in while in college. He didn't follow it up with two more events in short order. You act like everything he's done is media concoction, there are A LOT of high profile QBs who haven't made headlines for actual things they've done. People aren't making up shoplifting or shouting vulgarities in a public setting. For a normal kid you'd say he's just being a kid, but for a franchise QB they are held to a higher standard. Put them in any proportion you want, they still scream immaturity.

I'm not the ignorant one here. I get it, you 100% buy into Jameis. There's only 1 QB prospect I've bought into 100% over the last 15 years and it's the one who had the maturity to stay an extra year at Stanford and get his degree when he could have been the slam dunk 1st overall pick. Jameis is striking the first chance he gets. Maturity is extremely important for the QB position. He hasn't shown it, regardless of what he's said in some interviews.

Oh I would take him too if I actually had the pick, but I'd likely wake up in a cold sweat checking Twitter and ESPN every single night.

Again. I haven't disputed that he got caught stealing those crab legs. It was dumb. The vulgarity was a running joke around the country when he said it, especially among teenagers and young adults. That is what was blown way out of proportion. He can't show he's more mature, until he shows he more mature, so we'll just have to wait and see. It just doesn't instill the same level of concern in me that it does you, that's where we differ.

I apologize for saying you were ignorant. I was just taking a shot at you after you said I was being naive. I will contend that you either did not know, or clearly forgot that Peyton had his own transgressions. You just now added that he didn't follow it up with anything else. What you insinuated was that he would never do something like Winston did, which is obviously false.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Is there any feedback from Mayock as to why he changed his ranking? I don't think anyone up until this point has said that Winston wasn't the better player on the field, there are just off field questions, so I'd be interested to see why this has changed.

Mariota seems painfully shy. Even more so than Eli was. Unless he has a coach that "gets him" I think he's going to be eaten alive and he will lose confidence fast.

Is there any feedback from Mayock as to why he changed his ranking? I don't think anyone up until this point has said that Winston wasn't the better player on the field, there are just off field questions, so I'd be interested to see why this has changed.

Mariota seems painfully shy. Even more so than Eli was. Unless he has a coach that "gets him" I think he's going to be eaten alive and he will lose confidence fast.

Probably more for attention than anything. How many times do you think he will mention that Winston 'wasn't even the 1st QB on his board'?

he and some other NFL guys think the Bucs are still weary about his off field stuff and maturity. There is some support for Mariota within the Bucs organization.

I think Winston is the latest version of Vince Young. Big, strong, athletic. Head case. Might do OK in the NFL for a while until defenses figure him out.

The OP listed several FSU QBs. Besides Manuel the Bills have had Matt Flynn and Craig Nall on their roster at one time or another. These guys had the best NFL career stats of the bunch.

I think Winston is the latest version of Vince Young. Big, strong, athletic. Head case. Might do OK in the NFL for a while until defenses figure him out.

The OP listed several FSU QBs. Besides Manuel the Bills have had Matt Flynn and Craig Nall on their roster at one time or another. These guys had the best NFL career stats of the bunch.

Winston and VY are polar opposites on the field.

Young and Winston really have nothing in common as players. Winston is a pocket passer while Young was a scrambler.

Ryan Leaf is more of a comparison to Winston.

He will go 1st overall. I think Tampa knew they were going to take him as soon as they finished last.

You take the gamble on a Franchise QB 10 out of 10 times... especially when he has the resume that Winston has.

The off-field stuff can be concerning but NFL teams need Quarterbacks.

Oh and the VY comparison is terrible. Not even remotely close.

Edited by kobe808lak

I really don't see Winston as a top 10 talent. Personally I think the Buc's should pair Leonard Williams with McCoy and get a QB in the second. If the pick at #1 has to be a QB, I would go with Mariota. Winston has too many red flags both on and off the field. The only QB drafted in the first round since 2011 to throw more picks in their collage career is Ponder (30), but that was over the course of 4 years. Winston has 28 picks in 2 years! By comparison;

Mariota 14 picks over 3 years, Bortles 19 picks 3 years, Bridgewater 24 picks 3 years, EJ 28 picks 4 years, Luck 22 picks 3 years, RG3 17 picks 4 years, Newton 7 picks 3 years only started 1, Ponder 30 picks 4 years.

Winston's agent is doing what he's paid to do. Hype his client to the media, and draw attention away from the off the field issues. All you hear about is his potential and his ceiling, while citing countless high-lite reels. But what about his floor ? The same fans and media who will forever link Sanchez to " The Butt Fumble " must be unaware of this one.

https://youtu.be/mPYbS_G-Hh0

And once again his accuracy and decision making.

https://youtu.be/UWwy_CrRc4I

The NFL competition is going to eat this kid alive.

IMO

Edited by Cold Front

I really don't see Winston as a top 10 talent. Personally I think the Buc's should pair Leonard Williams with McCoy and get a QB in the second. If the pick at

#1 has to be a QB, I would go with Mariota. Winston has too many red flags both on and off the field. The only QB drafted in the first round since 2011 to throw more picks in their collage career is Ponder (30), but that was over the course of 4 years. Winston has 28 picks in 2 years! By comparison;

Mariota 14 picks over 3 years, Bortles 19 picks 3 years, Bridgewater 24 picks 3 years, EJ 28 picks 4 years, Luck 22 picks 3 years, RG3 17 picks 4 years,

Newton 7 picks 3 years only started 1, Ponder 30 picks 4 years.

Winston's agent is doing what he's paid to do. Hype his client to the media, and draw attention away from the off the field issues. All you hear about is his potential and his ceiling, while citing countless high-lite reels. But what about his floor ? The same fans and media who will forever link Sanchez to " The Butt Fumble " must be unaware of this one.

And once again his accuracy and decision making.

https://youtu.be/UWwy_CrRc4I

The NFL competition is going to eat this kid alive.

IMO

I 100% agree with you. The more I read about Williams, the more I like him. I think that would be the smartest choice and could be the start of a dominant defense.

That said, the qb will always be valued more and if you think a guy could be a franchise guy, you have to take him.

Zero chance he doesn't go #1. Zeeero.

Anytime a QB has maturity issues like Winston, then it's possible a team passes. Especially if they feel their team will be bad again this coming year and they think the QB class will be more solid next year. Why not grab a all pro defensive player or grab a bunch of picks/players from Philly to rebuild the team before you draft a young QB who's expected to win right away.

I've come to expect the unexpected with the NFL draft.