Ex-UCONN/NBA Donyel Marshall joins UB as asst coach.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really pisses me off. I thought it would be perfect for him. Spend 3 or 4 more years in Buffalo, build up a good program, respectable program and when Coach K retires he takes over after proving himself in Buffalo.

Now, when he gets to Duke (because we all know he will) he will be just another mercenary who I will feel less then happy about cheering for and probably turn against. Just like with UNC and Roy Williams (though, I hated Dean Smith's phony ass).

This really pisses me off. I thought it would be perfect for him. Spend 3 or 4 more years in Buffalo, build up a good program, respectable program and when Coach K retires he takes over after proving himself in Buffalo.

Now, when he gets to Duke (because we all know he will) he will be just another mercenary who I will feel less then happy about cheering for and probably turn against. Just like with UNC and Roy Williams (though, I hated Dean Smith's phony ass).

Don't forget Duke's AD is UB AD Danny White's dad. If any of the stuff Bucky Gleason wrote in today's column actually came from Hurley, it's not going sit well with the Whites. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Dean Smith, phony? Please. The guy was as close to a living saint as I've seen.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2015/4/10/8380999/the-buffalo-news-are-losing-a-punching-bag-but-they-take-a-few-shots

If anyone is interested, a writer from UB Bull Run deconstructs Gleason's hatchet job and shows, once again, that Bucky makes stuff up.

I agree with most of what was said there. I think Bucky meant the Final Four when he said have him signed before the NCAA. I don't think he meant the WVU game.....But, I can see how this guy can read it wrong since Bucky said NCAA, not Final Four.

I wonder what happened to Rodney McKissic. I know he got suspended for plagarism, but then he came back. But, I haven't seen him in forever. I thought he was a good writer, too and not in the clown car, like this guy says.

Fixed. Also don't comment on UB's commitment if you don't know anything about the program or what they have to deal with.

And Hurley had no head coaching experience at all. This is a continuity move. Something to put the players at ease.

I know really nothing about this guy. But I hope they didn't sign him solely for continuity. The UB job is now all of a sudden not a bad job; they could probably get a rising star. Maybe they view this Oates as one.

Dean Smith, phony? Please. The guy was as close to a living saint as I've seen.

To be fair, he did say, "I hated Dean Smith's phony ass," which you could interpret as him thinking Dean's ass was phony - you know, cheek implants, and he hated that. He didn't actually say he hated Dean Smith the person though. :unsure:

Howard Stern hasn't been relative in years.... :devil:

I don't know if any of you subscribe, but if you do, just cancel and let them know he is the reason. That is what I did after the loser column.

If not, please do not click on any of his, Sullivan's, or Harrington's columns/articles. We can drive these chuckleheads out of town, but not if everyone keeps reading him in the vein of " Howrad Stern is a jerk , here is what he said today when I was listening"

is it that they don't want to pay as much, or they can't? Honest question... SUNY school and $

Major college programs bring in tons of cash for their schools. Paying their basketball coaches is not a problem for many other state schools. In fact, the highest paid employee of most states is a sports coach. UB has $600+ million sitting in the bank accruing interest. UB has money they just don't want to spend it, and would rather their endowment grow larger.

Fixed. Also don't comment on UB's commitment if you don't know anything about the program or what they have to deal with.

And Hurley had no head coaching experience at all. This is a continuity move. Something to put the players at ease.

UB has no commitment to building winning sports programs. They easily have the money to pay Hurley, but it's clearly not a priority for the administration. UB letting successful coaches leave is basically a tradition at this point.... but hey, as long as that endowment keeps growing everything is just peachy for the administration. Good news... it's up to $864 million.

Edited by Fingon

Major college programs bring in tons of cash for their schools. Paying their basketball coaches is not a problem for many other state schools. In fact, the highest paid employee of most states is a sports coach. UB has $600+ million sitting in the bank accruing interest. UB has money they just don't want to spend it, and would rather their endowment grow larger.

UB has no commitment to building winning sports programs. They easily have the money to pay Hurley, but it's clearly not a priority for the administration. UB letting successful coaches leave is basically a tradition at this point.... but hey, as long as that endowment keeps growing everything is just peachy for the administration. Good news... it's up to $864 million.

I have absolutely no clue on UB athletics, how SUNY figures in, budgets etc. maybe a PTR who has followed the program for decades can chime in on that relationship...and be objective please PTR. Sometimes the school or team can make mistakes.

Having said that, playing in that conference almost assures them of being a feeder conference for coaches to leave for bigger schools and more prestigious jobs.I have been a fan of a couple of mid major programs for the last decade.....this is just what happens. Happens in football( that's hiw UB just got their football coach) happens in BBall....happens in swimming and water polo and wrestling too.

There is prolly no one to blame here....it is just how things are.

What kills me is he was all set for a killer job next year. He recruited a terrific class to UB and he likely could have gotten them into the Top 25. Instead he goes into an area where he has no connections for what? Money? UB alums were writing fat checks hoping to keep him here. He could have made $800K next year. Sure it's not $2MM but it's not bad to stay one more year. I guess this is the down side of being a fan of a mid-major program. UB really took a chance on Hurley. The guy had no real resume. This is our thank you. Asswipe.

What tha hell? Why do people take things like this so personally? He's making a wise career choice and getting paid better. It's not like he's even from Buffalo, he's a Jesey kid. If someone offered to pay you A LOT more to move from Buffalo to Arizona and coach in a historically better program you wouldn't do it? Lol if not then I'm guessing you're not too good at making career choices.

You keep throwing around the word "they." They are "SUNY" as in State University of New York. And THEY have a lot of rules governing maximum salaries coaches can make. So the only way Hurley gets a raise is UB alumni chip in, which they did.

So making Hurley the highest paid coach by a $1,000 is not an isult, as Gleason frames it, but a tribute to the alumni who opened their wallets to keep a great coach and show him the appreciated him. Sorry if UB isn't Syracuse or Duke. We are just getting started here.

That endowment is for the entire school, not a piggy bank for the athletic department.

I have absolutely no clue on UB athletics, how SUNY figures in, budgets etc. maybe a PTR who has followed the program for decades can chime in on that relationship...and be objective please PTR. Sometimes the school or team can make mistakes.

Having said that, playing in that conference almost assures them of being a feeder conference for coaches to leave for bigger schools and more prestigious jobs.I have been a fan of a couple of mid major programs for the last decade.....this is just what happens. Happens in football( that's hiw UB just got their football coach) happens in BBall....happens in swimming and water polo and wrestling too.

There is prolly no one to blame here....it is just how things are.

Like I said, SUNY has strict controls as to what coaches can make. (Which is a big reason why athletics have sucked for years at all SUNY schools.) So the alumni stepped up to try to keep Hurley by writing big checks to the athletic department. But apparently some people take that as an insult. Or maybe it's certain WNY sports fans, who didn't even know UB had D1 sports until two weeks ago, need something to complain about.

I know really nothing about this guy. But I hope they didn't sign him solely for continuity. The UB job is now all of a sudden not a bad job; they could probably get a rising star. Maybe they view this Oates as one.

The one thing Oates does limit recruits from following Hurley. Why? Because Oates is who recruited these players for Hurley.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The one thing Oates does limit recruits from following Hurley. Why? Because Oates is who recruited these players for Hurley.

To be fair, even though he recruited them, Hurley was the guy they signed up for. He was just the salesman for a good product (Hurley), not the product itself.

It remains to be seen how much of a coach the recruits (and current team) think Oates is...

What kills me is he was all set for a killer job next year. He recruited a terrific class to UB and he likely could have gotten them into the Top 25. Instead he goes into an area where he has no connections for what? Money? UB alums were writing fat checks hoping to keep him here. He could have made $800K next year. Sure it's not $2MM but it's not bad to stay one more year. I guess this is the down side of being a fan of a mid-major program. UB really took a chance on Hurley. The guy had no real resume. This is our thank you. Asswipe.

Yeah tough call. I mean you are talking double your salary but I agree with JR & you. Hurley has put the program in a real great position for next year & he would of had even more options next year. Arizona St is not a great gig. There always go to be second fiddle to Arizona in state & you got to go up against historical power teams like UCLA & now throw Oregon in the mix with all the money they have. I just don't think it is a great opportunity. It kind of reminds me of when Turner Gill jumped over to Kansas. Yeah it is in a power conference but they have been bottom feeders in that conference for many years. I knew Gill's stay in Lawrence was going to be a short one. I could see Hurley's stay being just as short.

And what does he do if UB implodes next season and no good job offers come around in 2016? Be serious; it's a no-brainer career move. ASU is a major school in a major conference and that offers him a higher likelihood of high profile success. And it's not just the substantially higher pay and the more prestigious program. If he succeeds there he has the opportunity to parlay that into a major job, perhaps even Duke whenever Coach K finally hangs it up.

I will disagree with you on that. UB is poised to be a fringe top 25 team next year. Hurley has them positioned to make some noise on a national level. He probably should of stayed one more year.