Ex-UCONN/NBA Donyel Marshall joins UB as asst coach.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These dudes are worse than people in politics. I don't fault anyone for getting more money but why did he come out and lie to his players?

College coaches are giant snakes.

It's bizarre. Why not just keep your mouth shut and say "no comment." Maybe it's just me, but if I told all my players that I would stay, then it is a done deal.

What kills me is he was all set for a killer job next year. He recruited a terrific class to UB and he likely could have gotten them into the Top 25. Instead he goes into an area where he has no connections for what? Money? UB alums were writing fat checks hoping to keep him here. He could have made $800K next year. Sure it's not $2MM but it's not bad to stay one more year. I guess this is the down side of being a fan of a mid-major program. UB really took a chance on Hurley. The guy had no real resume. This is our thank you. Asswipe.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What kills me is he was all set for a killer job next year. He recruited a terrific class to UB and he likely could have gotten them into the Top 25. Instead he goes into an area where he has no connections for what? Money? UB alums were writing fat checks hoping to keep him here. He could have made $800K next year. Sure it's not $2MM but it's not bad to stay one more year. I guess this is the down side of being a fan of a mid-major program. UB really took a chance on Hurley. The guy had no real resume. This is our thank you. Asswipe.

Says the guy who isn't taking a $1.2 million hit.

Says the guy who isn't taking a $1.2 million hit.

ASU is paying him $1.2MM. The $2MM was a reference to what DePaul allegedly offered. So his "hit" is $650K. Like I said, serious coin, but it's not like he couldn't stay one more year and hit the jackpot in 2016?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

ASU is paying him $1.2MM. The $2MM was a reference to what DePaul allegedly offered. So his "hit" is $650K. Like I said, serious coin, but it's not like he couldn't stay one more year and hit the jackpot in 2016?

He could also suck and lose out on the jackpot. Also, do college coaches get one year contracts/allowed to leave after one year?

Did you put hit in quotations because you don't believe it is one?

Edited by FireChan

He could also suck and lose out on the jackpot. Also, do college coaches get one year contracts/allowed to leave after one year?

Did you put hit in quotations because you don't believe it is one?

Contracts are pretty meaningless. Hurley did not sign the extension, btw. UB does get a buyout from ASU for making Hurley break the original contract, but Hurley screwed UB out of an even larger buyout by not signing the negotiated extension earlier.

As for UB sucking next season that was unlikely. All his stars are coming back and he has an even stronger recruiting class coming in. And even if he stumbled, he's Bobby frickin' Hurley. His star has already risen.

It's bizarre. Why not just keep your mouth shut and say "no comment." Maybe it's just me, but if I told all my players that I would stay, then it is a done deal.

Exactly. I have no problem with him taking another job. I can't stand liars.

I said it in another thread when people thought Hurley would stay because he signed an extension. It is completely meaningless. These coaches leave the second they can make one more dollar. The players and recruits are the ones who get screwed over. And if they want to transfer, they have to sit out a year.

College sports!

These dudes are worse than people in politics. I don't fault anyone for getting more money but why did he come out and lie to his players?

College coaches are giant snakes.

Because there's no way to be honest with his players and not have his employer and the media know every word he says.

What is the guy supposed to do? UB is a stepping stone job. It's as simple as that.

Welcome to my world as a Bona fan. Every time there's success, then you know the offers for the coach are coming.

And what does he do if UB implodes next season and no good job offers come around in 2016? Be serious; it's a no-brainer career move. ASU is a major school in a major conference and that offers him a higher likelihood of high profile success. And it's not just the substantially higher pay and the more prestigious program. If he succeeds there he has the opportunity to parlay that into a major job, perhaps even Duke whenever Coach K finally hangs it up.