Ex-UCONN/NBA Donyel Marshall joins UB as asst coach.

Yeah tough call. I mean you are talking double your salary but I agree with JR & you. Hurley has put the program in a real great position for next year & he would of had even more options next year. Arizona St is not a great gig. There always go to be second fiddle to Arizona in state & you got to go up against historical power teams like UCLA & now throw Oregon in the mix with all the money they have. I just don't think it is a great opportunity. It kind of reminds me of when Turner Gill jumped over to Kansas. Yeah it is in a power conference but they have been bottom feeders in that conference for many years. I knew Gill's stay in Lawrence was going to be a short one. I could see Hurley's stay being just as short.

I will disagree with you on that. UB is poised to be a fringe top 25 team next year. Hurley has them positioned to make some noise on a national level. He probably should of stayed one more year.

I doubt UB does either of those things next year. Teams make the tourney then flame out all the time. It's lightning in a bottle.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt UB does either of those things next year. Teams make the tourney then flame out all the time. It's lightning in a bottle.

Said the guy who knows nothing about the UB team. They are stacked now with even better players coming in.

I think UB can win the MAC again if they don't lose anyone to transfer. I follow the MAC conf relatively closely, moreso than I do the UB program specifically. They have the best backcourt no doubt.

It's still so hard to make the tourney being in the MAC because there is only one bid. But I give them a good chance.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Said the guy who knows nothing about the UB team. They are stacked now with even better players coming in.

It doesn't matter. There are millions of alumni saying the same thing about their teams.

This is the paradigm. While simulataneously praising UB for the unbelievable achievement of a tournament bid, it is also assumed they will repeat such a feat. If it was that easy, it wouldn't be such an achievement, right?

Edited by FireChan

I doubt UB does either of those things next year. Teams make the tourney then flame out all the time. It's lightning in a bottl

Agreed, if they don;t lose anybody to transfer they will be the clear favorite next year to win the MAC.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/ub-mens-basketball/nba-veteran-donyell-marshall-joins-oats-ub-staff-20150416

This is in addition to St. John's asst Jim Whitesell joining.

Nate Navigato de-commits from UB. No word if he's going with Hurley to ASU.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Shannon Evans trying to transfer

@J_Snyder613: BREAKING: Shannon Evans is transferring out of Buffalo sources tell me. Story coming shortly.

@hollywood_XI: I felt like i did a few good things here in buffalo, it amazes me that I can't even sit down with the AD & discuss my future!

@J_Snyder613: UB is blocking Evans' attempt to transfer to Arizona State (Hurley) and schools from VA such as VCU (where Evans is from)

Edited by YoloinOhio

Shannon Evans trying to transfer

@J_Snyder613: BREAKING: Shannon Evans is transferring out of Buffalo sources tell me. Story coming shortly.

@hollywood_XI: I felt like i did a few good things here in buffalo, it amazes me that I can't even sit down with the AD & discuss my future!

@J_Snyder613: UB is blocking Evans' attempt to transfer to Arizona State (Hurley) and schools from VA such as VCU (where Evans is from)

Getting ugly.

@StepnerWKBW: UB is granting Shannon Evans a full release from program. Free to transfer to any school. @WKBW

Here's the Buffalo News article. I'm baffled by the last sentence "Evans will have to sit out the 2015-2016 school year if he decides to transfer, which would appear to be the likely scenario."

I thought this was what this was all about? Can I school (UB) outright block a kid from going somewhere else (ASU, VCU)? I thought this was all about the one year of having to sit out. I thought he didn't want to have to do that?

http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2015/04/21/ub-gives-shannon-evans-release-to-transfer-to-any-school/

Any player transferring between D1 schools needs to sit out a full year, unless that player has graduated from the previous school, then they can play immediately...if they go down to D1A or a lower division, pretty sure they can play immediately

Here's the Buffalo News article. I'm baffled by the last sentence "Evans will have to sit out the 2015-2016 school year if he decides to transfer, which would appear to be the likely scenario."

I thought this was what this was all about? Can I school (UB) outright block a kid from going somewhere else (ASU, VCU)? I thought this was all about the one year of having to sit out. I thought he didn't want to have to do that?

http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2015/04/21/ub-gives-shannon-evans-release-to-transfer-to-any-school/

Any player transferring between D1 schools needs to sit out a full year, unless that player has graduated from the previous school, then they can play immediately...if they go down to D1A or a lower division, pretty sure they can play immediately

I know that. (There are also new murkier rules - see Billy Baron playing without sitting out for Canisius). So, my question is "What exactly was UB putting a stop to?"

I know that. (There are also new murkier rules - see Billy Baron playing without sitting out for Canisius). So, my question is "What exactly was UB putting a stop to?"

Last I saw UB dropped all objections

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2015/4/21/8461823/ub-is-granting-shannon-evans-a-full-release-from-program

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So, nobody understands my question? :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

What power were they withholding? I thought anybody could transfer anywhere, as long as they sit out a year???

the player has to request the release from the school. Under ncaa rules the school has the power to say they will only grant the release if the player is blocked from contact/transfer to certain schools. In this way, they can block the player from getting a scholarship to those schools. Those schools are usually within conference or where a coach may have gone. Not unique to UB, it is common.

While you are correct that the players can technically leave the program without being granted a release, the NCAA allows the school to block where the player can get a scholarship in that case. If a coach does not grant an athlete a release, the player must forfeit any scholarship opportunity, pay his own way to the new university, and sit out the next season.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Never heard of that. How can one school block a kid from EVER going to to another school.

I really think this is all about the one year sit out deal.

just added more clarification to my post but to your point here, they can't block them from going, they can only block them from the scholarship.