NFL coaches ranked 1-32 by CBS sports

based on what? this writer's opinion? a few years ago nobody would have given Pete Carroll a chance at being an NFL coach and now he's the 2nd best in the whole league? i just don't know how you can quantify this accurately

based on what? this writer's opinion? a few years ago nobody would have given Pete Carroll a chance at being an NFL coach and now he's the 2nd best in the whole league? i just don't know how you can quantify this accurately

yes it's just Prisco's opinion

If move Marvin Lewis up a few spots. The dude does everything in Cincy and he doesn't have much of a FO.

Pagano? I don't know what to think, it's the Andrew Luck Show out there in Indy. Not sure if their level of competitiveness is on Pagano or Andrew.

I've liked Tomlin for a while, but Pitt has been mediocre lately.

Jason Garrett is too high on the list. So is Wisenhunt.

I'd move Pettine ahead of both. 7-9 with the disaster that was the Browns last year should put him around the average mark not under.

Ron Rivera is riding the Cam train. McCoy, I'm meh on. That's a good roster in SD, and they have a franchise QB.

We would have been 11-5 / 12-4 with the Browns schedule last year.

I wasnt thinking about placing him over Rex, the Browns are a disaster, the Raiders of the East. I didn't mention Rex at all. Just letting out results do the talking this year.

When people talk about how good of a coach all these guys are, all they're talking about is the results they are able to get relative to the perceived talent on their roster. No one knows how good they are at actually coaching football players. For all we know some of the higher ranked coaches don't say much and their assistants do all the work and some of the lower ranked coaches are amazing at coaching football players but they are stuck with a roster that just isn't jelling for whatever reason. No one knows. It is ignorant of the author to assert that they know how good of a coach all these guys are.

Honestly, I'll rank them out in my opinion. Ill give my reasoning if I feel necessary on why I have it like this.

1. Bill Belichick

2. John Harbaugh

3. Bruce Arians

4. Tom Coughlin

5. Mike Tomlin

6. Sean Payton

7. Mike McCarthy

8. Pete Carroll

9. Rex Ryan

10. Jason Garrett

11. Gary Kubiak

12. Bill O'Brien

13. Marvin Lewis

14. Chip Kelly

15. Chuck Pagano

16. Jeff Fisher

17. John Fox

18. Ron Rivera

19. Mike McCoy

20. Andy Reid

21. Jim Caldwell

22. Joe Philbin

23. Ken Whisenhunt

24. Lovie Smith

25. Mike Pettine

26. Gus Bradley

27. Mike Zimmer

28. Jay Gruden

29. Jack Del Rio

30. Todd Bowles

31. Dan Quinn

32. Mike Tomsula

Honestly, I'll rank them out in my opinion. Ill give my reasoning if I feel necessary on why I have it like this.

1. Bill Belichick

2. John Harbaugh

3. Bruce Arians

4. Tom Coughlin

5. Mike Tomlin

6. Sean Payton

7. Mike McCarthy

8. Pete Carroll

9. Rex Ryan

10. Jason Garrett

11. Gary Kubiak

12. Bill O'Brien

13. Marvin Lewis

14. Chip Kelly

15. Chuck Pagano

16. Jeff Fisher

17. John Fox

18. Ron Rivera

19. Mike McCoy

20. Andy Reid

21. Jim Caldwell

22. Joe Philbin

23. Ken Whisenhunt

24. Lovie Smith

25. Mike Pettine

26. Gus Bradley

27. Mike Zimmer

28. Jay Gruden

29. Jack Del Rio

30. Todd Bowles

31. Dan Quinn

32. Mike Tomsula

Not sure what your issue with Del Rio is. He would always lead those Jacksonville teams that everyone thought would be the worst team in football to 9-7 every year. Although I guess that contradicts my post from earlier. Oh well.

I honestly try not to be myopic about this type of stuff, but any list that doesn't have Arians in the top 4 or 5 is crazy IMO. Arians has done more with less than any other coach over the last 2 years.

Other random comments:

- Pagano and O'Brien are way too high. What's O'Brien done? Finish 9-7 in the worst division in football? That somehow makes him better than Chip Kelly, who's gone 20-12?

- Jason Garrett too low; he's never had a losing season

- Ken Whisenhunt is way too high. Tennessee was absolutely abysmal last year.