Rex meets with media at owners meetings - quotes for days

Yolo, thanks for posting! Great stuff!

Nothing Rex said surprised me except the comment about Brown.

When the rumors were flying around about cutting Fred, I thought he might be the odd man out. And it would make sense, given Fred's age.

But I think Fred still has gas in the tank and his leadership contributions shouldn't be underestimated.

In any case, it seems Brown is the one who has to prove his worth. Given Rex's history as a player's coach, I thought it was odd Rex would publicly call him out that way.

I think with Rex having been with the Jets and seeing Fred twice a year he knows what a warrior he is and how much he means to this team

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be Fred vs Brown in training camp. Only 1 will make the team. Fred will have the players and coaches rooting for him. Brown has Whaley and the scouts on his side. At the end of the day, Whaley is in charge of the roster but the Pegula's and Rex might have to throw their weight around if they feel strongly about Fred

Exactly. Tiki Barber had a REAL fumbleitis problem and he cured it after Coughlin called him out on it.

Brown could do the same. Wonder if Rex will start calling him Tiki. :ph34r:

If I remember correctly it was a technique thing - Tiki started holding the ball higher toward his armpit with a finger on the point. I believe the rb coach at the time made it happen, hopefully we can find a way to get through to Brown because the important part is how he carries the ball, not necessarily how many fumbles he has. If he isn't carrying it tight in traffic he won't be around, even if he doesn't fumble all the time.

@mikerodak: Doug Whaley tells me he wants the coaching staff to keep an open mind about Bryce Brown. Noted he only fumbled once last season.

@ChrisTrapasso: #LRT: as I tweeted few weeks ago, #Bills source told me Whaley was ready to cut FJ & move on with McCoy/Bryce/Dixon before Pegula stepped in

@ChrisTrapasso: After using 2015 4th Round pick to acquire the super low-mileage Bryce Brown, I can't blame Whaley for having that plan heading into '15 TC.

Edited by YoloinOhio

What's #LRT ?

Last RT. He had RTd Rodak who said the piece about Whaley liking Bryce Brown, and then commented on it in his next tweet.

Basically, it sounds like as many have said, Bryce is Whaley's guy. Now that Fred is here for another year, he will not get the touches that maybe Whaley had planned. But that's tbd I suppose.

@ChrisTrapasso: #LRT: as I tweeted few weeks ago, #Bills source told me Whaley was ready to cut FJ & move on with McCoy/Bryce/Dixon before Pegula stepped in

Thus, Whaley's greatest weakness as GM. He will stubbornly, and to the determent of the team if necessary, force feed his pet acquisitions upon the coach and roster to stroke his ego. Fortunately for us fans, he has an owner who isn't shy about smacking him down and ordering him to the corner with a dunce cap when necessary.

Clearly, Rex today showed he agrees with the Fans and Pegula regarding Freddy and Bryce. For Whaley, it's deja vu as once again he is reduced to carrying the water for a coach and owner who won't hesitate to override him publicly regarding personnel when necessary.

I think it will be Fred vs Brown in training camp. Only 1 will make the team. Fred will have the players and coaches rooting for him. Brown has Whaley and the scouts on his side. At the end of the day, Whaley is in charge of the roster but the Pegula's and Rex might have to throw their weight around if they feel strongly about Fred

Whether you like it or not, Pegula's say is the most important say.

yea but would he step on his GM's toes like that? that would be pretty disrespectful and would make Whaley mad

Seems like he already did if the rumors of him stepping in are true. I hope that isn't the case, and that if Whaley/Rex/Roman want him gone, as much as I personally disagree, he doesn't stay just because Terry wants him to.

Seems like he already did if the rumors of him stepping in are true. I hope that isn't the case, and that if Whaley/Rex/Roman want him gone, as much as I personally disagree, he doesn't stay just because Terry wants him to.

i guess I don't see it as that big of a deal; maybe I'm just naive. But why would they cut any of the RBs before they need to get to 53? Injuries happen. I realize cutting Fred now would free up some cap space, but is it preventing us from doing anything in FA? I doubt it. I think they found the space elsewhere anyway. Edited by YoloinOhio

Thus, Whaley's greatest weakness as GM. He will stubbornly, and to the determent of the team if necessary, force feed his pet acquisitions upon the coach and roster to stroke his ego. Fortunately for us fans, he has an owner who isn't shy about smacking him down and ordering him to the corner with a dunce cap when necessary.

Clearly, Rex today showed he agrees with the Fans and Pegula regarding Freddy and Bryce. For Whaley, it's deja vu as once again he is reduced to carrying the water for a coach and owner who won't hesitate to override him publicly regarding personnel when necessary.

Yeah, because if last season was any indication, his "pet acquisitions" are guaranteed tons of playing time

Edited by stony

Frankly, I think Rex didn't want either of them - Fred or Boobie.

Wasn't there a Jets RB that we were rumored going after about when the news broke about FJ getting cut?

bilal Powell... But I don't think it was confirmed whether they really wanted him or it was his agent trying to get more money from the jets. I guess we will find out next year since it was only a 1 year deal, if they go after him.

To put the whole quote into perspective. Here it is:

"With us, when we made the LeSean McCoy trade, with Fred Jackson and Boobie Dixon and, uh, the fast dude. Brown is it?" Ryan said, smiling. "I'm not gonna learn his name until he holds on to the football.

"And if he does, he'll have a chance to play. But until we feel comfortable with it, he won't."

Great words. He isn't going to tolerate sloppy play. Period!

There are a lot of backs on the roster but I wouldn't want to lose any of them. I'm glad Rex is planning on using Fred and not just letting him keep the bench warm. As an AFCE guy, I'm sure Rex has an appreciation of Fred's worth.

As for Rex calling out Brown like that, it might have been more effective if he had done it in private. I'm not sure he's even met Brown yet. For a player to read about his coach dissing him like that, it could be demotivating.

Leadership is about creating relationships that bring out the best in people. You start by building mutual trust and respect. I'm not sure this was the best way for Rex to start building a productive relationship with Brown. Hopefully Brown takes it the right way and commits himself to ball security like never before.

Kind of shocked with all the QB(EJ) talk around here that this one hasn't had more mention.

@viccarucci: Ryan said he "never saw a regression" in EJ last season. "In fact, he looked pretty darn good when vs. Miami."

ej also had the best game of his career vs Rex. But he didn't mention that! Lol