How does a D cover this offense?

scribo

He's not wrong though. Its a big concern for many. If Cassel or EJ come out and Have an "EJ V Houston" type season, none of this will matter. You may not like that, but until either of those QB's prove that they can at least be efficient, its a huge question mark.

notice how you said EJ v Houston and not EJ all last year... if ej plays like he did vs Houston once every four games, like he did last year, we will be 12-4 because anything better than that will be good enough to win. btw IIRC we had the ball with a chance to win that game at the end

also not saying we will go 12-4, the defense will loosen up one or two games like they did last year probably (chargers). just saying no qb on our roster is bad enough to play to the level EJ played in the houston game ALL YEAR. too many weapons on offense to account for plus creative play calling; someone will always be open

Edited by CJallDAY

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How? They don't really need to worry about any of the pass catchers with Cassell/Manuel/Taylor at QB.

Enough of this......

You could hold a raffel every week and pull a fan out of the stands to play QB with all of these targets.....

I realize that we dont have a pro bowl qb....but can we stop acting like we are playing a pee wee QB behind center that is going to curl up in a ball and start thumbsucking every time the ball is snapped.

The idea of loading up on weapons was so that a middling QB could be successful in a SYSTEM......

You guys crack me up. So, no tosses to Shady? No Jet sweeps to Percy? No handoffs or dunks to Clay or Felton? No screens to Sammy (remember Maroon isn't here any more, and neither is is ****ty OC Hack-at-it). And of course, EJ has never completed a pass beyond the line of scrimmage in his life. I get it. You're sick, and I'm sick of your negativity.

Good post OP...let's talk some football!

If it were me, I'd play a lot of big nickel (3 safeties) and try to maul the WRs right off the snap; throw off the timing of the short routes.

I'd also have my DL get their hands up at every opportunity, and be looking for screens all day long.

The tough part would be defending Charles Clay, since the above approach really opens you up to getting hit down the seam. Then, of course, there's the possibility of getting smoked deep if Sammy gets off the jam (which he routinely does). I guess I'd be counting on the QB not being good enough to kill me deep with any regularity.

Bingo

This is why Clay was the bills most coveted free agent target.....

A safety cannot cover Charles Clay

I just don't see Greg Roman planning on Matt Cassel being his starter. A QB who was replaced by Brady Quinn, never got the job back and then was eventually replaced for good with the guy Roman no longer wanted as his starting QB. As a successful NFL OC, how would you want and seek out Matt Cassel as your starting QB given those circumstances?

As for Cassel winning the starting job last year, IMO it was only because they were treating Bridgwater with kid gloves because he bombed his pro day. They simply didn't want to put pressure on him to start the season.

Cassel was decent QB once upon a time. Now he is considered a back up QB only that will give a base level of NFL competition for the guys you are willing to actually start.

Yes this is why he won the starting competition with the Vikings last year even though Bridgewater was drafted. He just hurt his foot.

You guys crack me up. So, no tosses to Shady? No Jet sweeps to Percy? No handoffs or dunks to Clay or Felton? No screens to Sammy (remember Maroon isn't here any more, and neither is is ****ty OC Hack-at-it). And of course, EJ has never completed a pass beyond the line of scrimmage in his life. I get it. You're sick, and I'm sick of your negativity.

deep breaths that's it

LAMP our QB's suck posts must be ignored

that's my new goal

read and let it slide

Now now, I didn't criticize any of therir acquisitions, indeed I have been a consistent supporter of Whaley and even Buddy Nix. Together, they have put together a very talented roster.

I also am realistic enough to know that finding a good QB is damn hard and I honestly can't point to one that they really have had an opportunity to acquire and blew it. Some may argue that Russell Wilson is that guy, but it sure wasn't obvious to me at that time that he would become a good pro.

However, the reality is that the pass receiving weapons are going to significantly hand-cuffed by the QB play. I really believe that the Bills' best hope is that the light comes on for Manuel because Matt Cassell has had a long career in which to prove that he is even a middle of the pack NFL starter and he has not done so. He is now several years removed from his very good season with KC and I think that believing that he can revert to that form is just hoping and wishing.

I really am not one of the more negative posters here. I do think that a team with this much talent could sneak into the playoffs, but without at least decent QB play, they are not a threat to go far in the playoffs.

You have to start somewhere

Enough of this......

You could hold a raffel every week and pull a fan out of the stands to play QB with all of these targets.....

I realize that we dont have a pro bowl qb....but can we stop acting like we are playing a pee wee QB behind center that is going to curl up in a ball and start thumbsucking every time the ball is snapped.

The idea of loading up on weapons was so that a middling QB could be successful in a SYSTEM......

Please go back up thread and see my reply. I've been here a long while and I am not one of the more negative posters. I do think that unless the Bills can get at least average to good QB play, that the rest of the team could be held back by that. I am not blaming the Bills for not having a better answer at QB, because I know those are very hard to find.

Look, I get that they've pursued a plan to beef up around the QB to hide that weakness and I applaud them for that, but to pretend that won't have a negative effect on the team's performance is not realistic, in my opinion.

This is getting a little tired, isn't it? It's March, we don't have a first round pick. Our QBs are what they are, why not try to support them and look at it in a positive light until, I don't know, say we lose a game because of poor QB play. We have surrounded whoever it is with some significant weapons. Some of you guys act like these guys are Middle School Intramural QBs. They are still good enough to make the freaking NFL for heaven's sake. Last time I checked, that wasn't a very easy thing to do being that only 75 or so people in the entire world can say that at the moment.

Not to mention, we don't have tweedledee and tweedledum coaching the offense anymore. Can't you just try to be a happy Bills fan for a few months?

Agreed! I think this team will shock the entire league. Adequate enough at QB and a very solid defense with skilled offensive weapons, this team is a sleeper that will take many teams by suprise IMO.

The key to this offense will be the o-line, IMO. They need to go all-in at the draft to get this right. If Rex & Roman get their way and can impose their will via the ground game, that will open up everything. As much as people like to bash EJ, play action is one of his strengths. Get that line straight, pound the ball, then let EJ have fun with the toys on occasion.

Yes this is why he won the starting competition with the Vikings last year even though Bridgewater was drafted. He just hurt his foot.

Cassel's last full start in week 3 he had 1 TD and 4 interceptions with a 39 QB rating against the Patriots. The only reason he won that Viking QB competition is because Bridgewater was being eased into the starting job.

IMO Cassel just isn't starting material anymore. We shall see.

Please go back up thread and see my reply. I've been here a long while and I am not one of the more negative posters. I do think that unless the Bills can get at least average to good QB play, that the rest of the team could be held back by that. I am not blaming the Bills for not having a better answer at QB, because I know those are very hard to find.

Look, I get that they've pursued a plan to beef up around the QB to hide that weakness and I applaud them for that, but to pretend that won't have a negative effect on the team's performance is not realistic, in my opinion.

So you dont think that an NFL QB cant hit a wide open target? I wonder how all the teams that dont have Brady, Manning, Breez, Rivers, Big Ben, Luck.......I mean there ARE over 30 teams in the NFL......

How in the world do those other NFL teams compete? They dont have a pro bowl qb?

Well...just for the spirit of conversation I will TELL you how

- They run the ball......hence going out and getting the 3rd best running back in the NFL and keep Freddie Jackson to back him up.

- They play defense that creates turnovers and keeps giving those crappy QB's chances to make plays

- They give them receiving options....you just in case the number 1 receiver is covered.....check down options...you know guys like Jerome Felton and security blanket tight ends like Clay

- The play them in SYSTEMS.......systems that hide their weaknesses.

I mean to listen to some of the fanbase I wonder how in the heck Matt Cassel:

- Managed to stay in the NFL this long

- How in the world did he QB two 10 plus win seasons?

- How in the heck did he win the starting QB competition with the vikings....even though they drafted a QB high.....

JESUS HE SUCKS....should be stocking shelves at Wallmart

Cassel's last full start in week 3 he had 1 TD and 4 interceptions with a 39 QB rating against the Patriots. The only reason he won that Viking QB competition is because Bridgewater was being eased into the starting job.

IMO Cassel just isn't starting material anymore. We shall see.

So which viking NFL front office person are you?

If you suck that bad you dont start to "ease in a highly drafted rookie"

Sorry....doesnt wash

The key to this offense will be the o-line, IMO. They need to go all-in at the draft to get this right. If Rex & Roman get their way and can impose their will via the ground game, that will open up everything. As much as people like to bash EJ, play action is one of his strengths. Get that line straight, pound the ball, then let EJ have fun with the toys on occasion.

I like that they got a jump start by signing Cog....who I think will start at LG.

Then Urbik took a pay cut....and his best position is RG

However

If we dont get another veteran O linemen that second round pick HAS to be a offensive guard

So you dont think that an NFL QB cant hit a wide open target? I wonder how all the teams that dont have Brady, Manning, Breez, Rivers, Big Ben, Luck.......I mean there ARE over 30 teams in the NFL......

How in the world do those other NFL teams compete? They dont have a pro bowl qb?

Well...just for the spirit of conversation I will TELL you how

- They run the ball......hence going out and getting the 3rd best running back in the NFL and keep Freddie Jackson to back him up.

- They play defense that creates turnovers and keeps giving those crappy QB's chances to make plays

- They give them receiving options....you just in case the number 1 receiver is covered.....check down options...you know guys like Jerome Felton and security blanket tight ends like Clay

- The play them in SYSTEMS.......systems that hide their weaknesses.

I mean to listen to some of the fanbase I wonder how in the heck Matt Cassel:

- Managed to stay in the NFL this long

- How in the world did he QB two 10 plus win seasons?

- How in the heck did he win the starting QB competition with the vikings....even though they drafted a QB high.....

JESUS HE SUCKS....should be stocking shelves at Wallmart

So which viking NFL front office person are you?

If you suck that bad you dont start to "ease in a highly drafted rookie"

Sorry....doesnt wash

I like that they got a jump start by signing Cog....who I think will start at LG.

Then Urbik took a pay cut....and his best position is RG

However

If we dont get another veteran O linemen that second round pick HAS to be a offensive guard

I think you are being over dramatic in his stance. All he's saying is that qb will still be a limiting factor and it might be a big deal. And it might.

I think you are being over dramatic in his stance. All he's saying is that qb will still be a limiting factor and it might be a big deal. And it might.

Thank you. I don't know what I was saying that could be interpreted as being as negative as John was treating it.

Thank you. I don't know what I was saying that could be interpreted as being as negative as John was treating it.

How about your first post in this thread - which started a steady stream of negativity from the peanut gallery just dying to pipe in with their nuggets of wisdom.

In case you forgot it, here it is in all it's "positive" glory:

How? They don't really need to worry about any of the pass catchers with Cassell/Manuel/Taylor at QB.

:thumbdown: