How does a D cover this offense?

scribo

I think you need to go back and re read what you wrote

Do you mean this (below)? I can't imagine that being overly negative.

I guess I should just take the tongue lashing that you have given me and be quiet until I come to the conclusion that the Bills' really obviously do have a very good QB situation and they ought to be considered favorites to win the Super Bowl.

Now now, I didn't criticize any of therir acquisitions, indeed I have been a consistent supporter of Whaley and even Buddy Nix. Together, they have put together a very talented roster.

I also am realistic enough to know that finding a good QB is damn hard and I honestly can't point to one that they really have had an opportunity to acquire and blew it. Some may argue that Russell Wilson is that guy, but it sure wasn't obvious to me at that time that he would become a good pro.

However, the reality is that the pass receiving weapons are going to significantly hand-cuffed by the QB play. I really believe that the Bills' best hope is that the light comes on for Manuel because Matt Cassell has had a long career in which to prove that he is even a middle of the pack NFL starter and he has not done so. He is now several years removed from his very good season with KC and I think that believing that he can revert to that form is just hoping and wishing.

I really am not one of the more negative posters here. I do think that a team with this much talent could sneak into the playoffs, but without at least decent QB play, they are not a threat to go far in the playoffs.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to go back and re read what you wrote

If you take his full collection of posts in the thread, and not just the first (which reads a bit tongue in cheek, given context) your reaction jumps off the screen more, imo. I don't see the huge deal- qb is a real concern. We're doing all we can to both upgrade the position and give them tools - but we don't have anyone that we know will be able to do it yet. Odds are one of the guys will be serviceable and we will be a good team but will a serviceable qb get us past elite defenses? We will see!

This is as excited I have been about a Buffalo Bills team since the late 90's, even with the QB situation unsettled. We have more talent on both sides of the ball than we have seen in a LOOOOONG time. I am also happy with the coaching staff we have put together. If we get the OL squared away I think the rest of it takes care of itself and we are in for a great/well deserved season as far as the fans go. I can't wait for the start of TC. Go Bills!!!

There may not be a better list of skill players in the league this coming season. Rex Ryan, looking through the eyes of a lifelong defensive mind, has brought in players who will steal entire weeks of sleep from opposing defensive coordinators all year. How does a team attempt to defend Shady McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods, and Charles Clay all at once? Versatility is the key, as the offense will be able to respond instantly, without substitutions, to whatever the defense tries. Options have even been built in at QB, with both a pocket passer and a mobile QB added. If these players can each stay healthy and focused, there many not be a defense that can stop them all.

CAfSrvsUcAAti1I.png

Well, this is obvious trickery!

With all the different uniforms, they wont know who 's who!

Edited by bonechiller

If you take his full collection of posts in the thread, and not just the first (which reads a bit tongue in cheek, given context) your reaction jumps off the screen more, imo. I don't see the huge deal- qb is a real concern. We're doing all we can to both upgrade the position and give them tools - but we don't have anyone that we know will be able to do it yet. Odds are one of the guys will be serviceable and we will be a good team but will a serviceable qb get us past elite defenses? We will see!

Good post....fair enough

Back to the topic- it would depend on the defensive personnel a lot....

In our own practices Id imagine it would be a pretty basic nickel scheme. Let the front 4 get after the qb/clog lanes/get hands up, Aaron Williams on clay, the 3 cbs matching up on the wrs man up with the other safety and 2 lbs being the disguise/surprise that varies to keep the offense off balance some, but not crazy.

Edited by NoSaint

I mean to listen to some of the fanbase I wonder how in the heck Matt Cassel:

- Managed to stay in the NFL this long

- How in the world did he QB two 10 plus win seasons?

- How in the heck did he win the starting QB competition with the vikings....even though they drafted a QB high.....

JESUS HE SUCKS....should be stocking shelves at Wallmart

It’s been 5 NFL seasons since Cassel’s last 10 win season.

Cassel’s record since that last 10 win season is 9-17 as a starter with a QB rating of about 75.
There wasn't one person on this board talking about wanting to trade for Matt Cassel. If there was, I missed it.
I get that Bills fans want him to be that baseline competent starting QB from 5 years ago, but the numbers say that he's not that QB anymore. Numbers from a very long time frame.

Back to the topic- it would depend on the defensive personnel a lot....

In our own practices Id imagine it would be a pretty basic nickel scheme. Let the front 4 get after the qb/clog lanes/get hands up, Aaron Williams on clay, the 3 cbs matching up on the wrs man up with the other safety and 2 lbs being the disguise/surprise that varies to keep the offense off balance some, but not crazy.

Back on topic

I guess my answer on this is how did Greg Roman overcome this problem with a QB that cant read defenses and is not an accurate passer in Colin K. (which frankly is true)

I think that regardless of the offensive weapons brought in we are gonna run the ball....A LOT.....and this is why the signing of Clay is so important.

Clay blocks.....we have wide receivers that block.....Felton is a monster blocker

We are going to run the ball out of a bunch of different formations and we are going to use a lot of motion.

Then we are going to use play action off of the committment to the run (and we are going to be able to stay committed to the run because of our dominating defense)

Let them put 8 in the box....we are going to continue to run against it.......and then we are going to burn them badly when they leave pass catchers open.

My questions for this team as it stands right now

- Do we have the horses up front to move people around even when they sell out to stop the run....even if it is at 4 yards a clip

- Do we have the horses up front to deep a clean pocket when we decide to pass?

Now...people should not discount coaching when looking at how bad pass protection was last year....we are talking about a coach that kept Urbik on the bench for a string of games while we could not pick up a simple stunt on the offensive line.......

but

i feel we need more talent on the interior of our offensive line

There may not be a better list of skill players in the league this coming season. Rex Ryan, looking through the eyes of a lifelong defensive mind, has brought in players who will steal entire weeks of sleep from opposing defensive coordinators all year. How does a team attempt to defend Shady McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods, and Charles Clay all at once? Versatility is the key, as the offense will be able to respond instantly, without substitutions, to whatever the defense tries. Options have even been built in at QB, with both a pocket passer and a mobile QB added. If these players can each stay healthy and focused, there many not be a defense that can stop them all.

CAfSrvsUcAAti1I.png

It always looks better on paper. Remember when the Lakers had Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Kobe Bryant, and Shaq? People said "this team might go undefeated", and that kind of nonsense.

They are making some nice strides, but I would trade all these guys for an elite QB and an excellent O-line. I would swap this whole offense for the Colts offense,.

It’s been 5 NFL seasons since Cassel’s last 10 win season.

Cassel’s record since that last 10 win season is 9-17 as a starter with a QB rating of about 75.
There wasn't one person on this board talking about wanting to trade for Matt Cassel. If there was, I missed it.
I get that Bills fans want him to be that baseline competent starting QB from 5 years ago, but the numbers say that he's not that QB anymore. Numbers from a very long time frame.

Perhaps we should look deeper that has happened with him since his last 10 win season

and

it has been discussed till the horse has been sent to the glue factory. This is the type of option that was out there in the the QB market......finding a QB that has had previous success and biuld around them. That is really the only choice the bills have if EJ does not take a step forward this year.

The way the skill positions are shaping up, it reminds me of the OSU offense. If it is, They are going to make the defenses defend the whole field, have a huge playbook, have the ability to win one on one matchups, and hit you with deep passes when you overcommit to something else. It does not require an elite passer but it does require a very good OL, big time playmakers and a capable passer with a big arm and mobility to scare the D into thinking you are a risk to run as the QB at any time. I am interested to see the OL shape up because I think it's the key to the whole thing.

That's a great analogy actually. What were they playing with at the end of the season, their 3 or 4th string QB and still winning.

Plus, we have the top FB in the NFL, and Hogan.

It always looks better on paper. Remember when the Lakers had Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Kobe Bryant, and Shaq? People said "this team might go undefeated", and that kind of nonsense.

They are making some nice strides, but I would trade all these guys for an elite QB and an excellent O-line. I would swap this whole offense for the Colts offense,.

As a laker fan I rebut this

Yes....those players were assembled...two of them past their primes

Take a look at the ages of the young people coming in that will be relied upon to make plays for the bills......it makes the Clay signing make even more sense.

why do you even come here. This post makes you a piece of **** human.

So if stating his opinion on a football team makes him "a piece of ****human" what does calling someone a "piece of **** human" when it's totally uncalled for make you?

Perhaps we should look deeper that has happened with him since his last 10 win season

and

it has been discussed till the horse has been sent to the glue factory. This is the type of option that was out there in the the QB market......finding a QB that has had previous success and biuld around them. That is really the only choice the bills have if EJ does not take a step forward this year.

I think Cassel offered the bare minimum of what the Bills were looking for and unfortunately there were no better option available. I think to make anything more of what he brings is a mistake.

IMO he is the emergency veteran QB that the Bills needed in case Manuel (or possibly Taylor) fails to perform at an acceptable level.

Edited by 1billsfan

How? They don't really need to worry about any of the pass catchers with Cassell/Manuel/Taylor at QB.

Exactly. When I saw the headline I thought the Bills had signed Aaron Rodgers. How could any defense stop an EJ Manuel offense? LMAO!

Not for nothing, But I'm positive I heard this same thing before last season: how will they cover CJ, Freddy, Watkins, Woods and Chandler?

We shall see..

Or a few before when we might be the best d ever with Mario, and Anderson joining and DW taking over at coordinator..... But it does legit seem like we should be effective with this group, just not unstoppable like some think.