222 members have voted

1. 1. EJ for Tanny straight up?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 months ago I voted "no". The reasoning was two fold - 1. I saw more good than most seem to in EJ's rookie year and thought there was more than enough to justify the faith of more than 10 games and 2. I was not at all a fan of Ryan Tannehill and thought the infatuation with him that certain prominent NFL writers had was odd to say the least.

At this point in time the answer would be a reluctant "yes". The reason again is two fold - 1. The lack of progress from EJ in year two was worrying and indeed he looked more confused than he had at any point in year one. 2. Ryan Tannehill played the position much more efficiently in 2014.

However, it is reluctant because I think that the criticisms others have made of Tannehill on here are valid. For me he is right there with Andy Dalton on the meridian line of Quarterbacking in the National Football League. If you have someone better than Dalton / Tanny you can think that you have your guy. If you have someone worse then you need to keep looking. The problem is those guys right in the middle. Matt Schaub played at that level for a few years for Houston and as has been mentioned Carson Palmer has flirted with it at times during his career too. How many play-off games have those four guys won in their NFL careers? The answer is 1....and it was a game where Schaub BEAT Dalton. They are guys who will always have you in the play-off hunt and always have you going home pretty much as soon as you get there because their skill sets are limited in such a way that a defensive coordinator with some talented defensive players to call on can take what you do well away. It is no coincidence that one of the things Bill Lazor did to try and improve the efficiency of Tannehill last year was to run some read option where he uses his legs - trying to expand the ways he can hurt a team.

Even with this Bills defense and with these Bills weapons there is about a 1% chance we would win a Superbowl with Ryan Tannehill. But after 15 years of not getting to the play-offs if offered a straight up trade I'd take the guy who at this moment (forget ceilings for a second) gives me the best chance of getting there.... and that is Ryan Tannehill. I know FC didn't want the thread to go there but I actually think Cassell is capable if playing at a Tannehill level - that is where his best years have been on the performance chart so if I am allowed to bring that context to the decision then it makes the decision more finely balanced.

Sorry if I don't have a lot of love for average Dolphin QBs.

Geno Smith crushed him in the Dolphin's last game in Miami last season. Way to close out the season with a whimper. Tannehill isn't going to amount to anything other than average in this league. At least Geno and EJ still have the unknown factor going for them.

The unknown factor also means that they can be worse than average, right?

The unknown factor also means that they can be worse than average, right?

I don't want an average QB for the Bills. I want a Superbowl championship and I would keep looking till I found a QB that could win one. Specifically a perennial top 10 QB. Having an average QB keeps you in limbo for 5-10 years before you even start looking around again. Cincy, KC and Miami are screwed more than the Bills are because at least the Bills are in the QB search game already. Those three teams will never win a Superbowl their current starting QBs. It may sound crazy, but that's how I look at it.

I don't want an average QB for the Bills. I want a Superbowl championship and I would keep looking till I found a QB that could win one. Specifically a perennial top 10 QB. Having an average QB keeps you in limbo for 5-10 years before you even start looking around again. Cincy, KC and Miami are screwed more than the Bills are because at least the Bills are in the QB search game already. Those three teams will never win a Superbowl their current starting QBs. It may sound crazy, but that's how I look at it.

This is a similar discussion we had earlier. Give me your top 10 list, and we can discuss it in detail.

This is a similar discussion we had earlier. Give me your top 10 list, and we can discuss it in detail.

Don't get hung up on the top 10 thing. It's more the knowledge that they are very average QBs who will never win a Superbowl. You need a lot more than what they have to beat out the QBs you will be facing in playoff games and in the Superbowl.

Don't get hung up on the top 10 thing. It's more the knowledge that they are very average QBs who will never win a Superbowl. You need a lot more than what they have to beat out the QBs you will be facing in playoff games and in the Superbowl.

Okay. I figured you meant top 10 figuratively, I just had to make sure.

Let's talk average QB's. The Dalton's, Smith's, Kaep's and Tanehill's of the world. Do those guys fulfill that definition of average for you? Also, if I said that in their prime, they'll make the playoffs 30-40% of the time, would you agree with that?

Okay. I figured you meant top 10 figuratively, I just had to make sure.

Let's talk average QB's. The Dalton's, Smith's, Kaep's and Tanehill's of the world. Do those guys fulfill that definition of average for you? Also, if I said that in their prime, they'll make the playoffs 30-40% of the time, would you agree with that?

Kaepernick's not an "average" IMO. He's an unpredictable QB with a specific skill set that could actually win you playoff games against top QBs. Dalton, Smith and Tannehill just do not bring enough to the big games to ever win you a Superbowl. They will win you enough regular season games to make everybody just happy enough, they just won't ever have that pot of gold to look forward to with those guys.

Kaepernick's not an "average" IMO. He's an unpredictable QB with a specific skill set that could actually win you playoff games against top QBs. Dalton, Smith and Tannehill just do not bring enough to the big games to ever win you a Superbowl. They will win you enough regular season games to make everybody just happy enough, they just won't ever have that pot of gold to look forward to with those guys.

Okay, I'll take Kaep out. Would you be okay with saying that Dalton/Smith/Tanny make the playoffs 30-40% of the time?

This poll's sole purpose is to help provide a steady beat down of EJ Manuel for the like-minded haters like yourself. The sad thing is that you're using a loser Dolphin QB like Tannehill to help trash EJ.

Manuel's ceiling is unknown right now. Tannehill's ceiling is becoming established as an average QB like Alex Smith or Andy Dalton who wilts under pressure in big games. I'd rather roll the dice on an unknown QB like Manuel than a known Smith or Dalton type.

Tannehill 48 games - 5 game winning drives

Manuel 14 games - 3 game winning drives (should have been 4 thanks to Chandler's fumble)

Miami can keep that loser. I'll roll with EJ and if he doesn't work out, I'll find another QB next year either through the draft or a trade. Whichever way it goes it won't be hard to find a QB with a much higher ceiling than Tannehill.

They've been looking for a QB since Kelly retired. They've found other and new QB's just none that are any good.

Edited by Section242

This is stupid and another sad attempt to put EJ down. Of course at this point, you have to take Tannehll. But here's their first 4 games last year:

Tannehll - 93/ 155, 60%, 902 yards, 5.8 ypa, 6 tds, 3 ints, 2 fumbles, 0 rushing tds. W-L: 2-2 http://www.nfl.com/player/ryantannehill/2532956/gamelogs

Manuel - 76/131, 58%, 838 yards, 6.4 ypa, 5 tds, 3 ints, 1 fumble, 1 rushing td. W-L: 2-2 http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/gamelogs

Seems like 2 young qbs who got off to very similar starts. Except our gutless coach benched our guy and the Miami coaches, despite whining by fans and media, stuck with Tannehill. And he improved. Tannehill has Aaron Rodgers' old OC and a guy from Chip Kelly's staff. We had guys who worked with Ryan Nassib in the Big East who turned a 9-7 record into assistant coaches jobs with the Jags.

But there is one place EJ is clearly ahead of him. He's one and zero versus him. In fact, the only Bills QB to lose to Tannehill is the veteran upgrade and your hero Kyle Orton.

^This

Okay, I'll take Kaep out. Would you be okay with saying that Dalton/Smith/Tanny make the playoffs 30-40% of the time?

It's not because of them, specifically. It would be mainly because of their supporting cast. Kind of like what Rex/Whaley are trying to do here in Buffalo. Reference the free agent acquisitions