The QB situation is what it is. Move on already

Virgil

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have no credible starting qb. I'm not faulting anyone for not addressing the problem because no one decent was available, but it is what it is. Cassel is worse than Orton (it's really not arguable), and so the hope is that Manuel steps up. One doesn't get the sense that the coaching staff has any faith in Manuel, however. Let's revisit after the draft. I won't be surprised if they take a qb in round 2 or 3.

The Bills have no credible starting qb. I'm not faulting anyone for not addressing the problem because no one decent was available, but it is what it is. Cassel is worse than Orton (it's really not arguable), and so the hope is that Manuel steps up. One doesn't get the sense that the coaching staff has any faith in Manuel, however. Let's revisit after the draft. I won't be surprised if they take a qb in round 2 or 3.

I will. Who in the draft beyond Mariota and Winston has more upside than EJ or Taylor right now?

Edited by eball

I will. Who in the draft beyond Mariota and Winston has more upside than EJ or Taylor right now?

maybe nobody but why not take a chance. Upside and potential are worthless if they can't realize it. Might as well give us a better chance at finding a QB. Many QBs that start were found later in the draft, after guys that had more upside.

Right now I feel that we have a lot of QB talent on the roster, we just need and finally have the right coaching staff to utilize it properly. That said, I still want us to draft Sean Mannion in the 3rd.

I agree on Mannion. Had a great Pro Day

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478953/article/sean-mannion-of-oregon-state-has-look-of-an-nfl-qb-at-pro-day

Who in the draft has shown no progress from year one to year two, has gotten hurt 3 times, and had his team give up on him?

If they find that guy and draft him, you won't have to write any new posts...just re-cycle your last 1000 or so....

I really think this is Matt Cassels job to lose......

He has both back and starting experience.....he has had successful seasons at QB....he WON the starting job for the vikings then he got hurt.

Tyrod Taylor has stuck as the Raven's backup for years

Then you have EJ Manuel......who at this point is a complete unknown

I really think this is Matt Cassels job to lose......

He has both back and starting experience.....he has had successful seasons at QB....he WON the starting job for the vikings then he got hurt.

Yep I agree. The only way Cassel doesn't win this job is if EJ tears it up in camp and pre-season. Give Matt Cassel weapons and he can win you games - he has proven that throughout his career. If you need him to make the plays for you that is when you have problems. Roman needs to design an offence that focuses on Cassel getting the ball into the hands of Watkin, McCoy, Woods and Harvin (and maybe Clay if that ever happens) and let them make the plays. I can see him having a solid year if that happens.

Yet failed to regain the #1 spot. What do mediots often say... You shouldn't lose your #1 spot due to injury?

Yes, one can say EJ may be an unknown. For the Bills, he needs to prove himself (this season) to be known. No?

just saying

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Upside, like Unicorns, the abominable snowman and mute points, does not exist! It is a red herring foisted upon us by Kiper and McShay. Please, for the love of god, stop the upside/ceiling nonsense.

Corrected.

Edited by Garranimal

Who in the draft has shown no progress from year one to year two, has gotten hurt 3 times, and had his team give up on him?

You're on a mission

Brett Favre was an unknown third stringer when the Packers got him from Atlanta. Just saying.

Um, Brett Farve was a high 2nd round pick (almost a 1st) who was traded after his rookie year to GB for a first round pick. You not knowing who he was doesn't make him an unknown player. He was highly regarded player coming out of college, so much so that it cost the 19th pick in the draft for GB to trade for him.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I agree with the OP. Whether people like it or not is irrelevant. They have 3 QB's on the roster right now. I don't know as though the likelihood of carrying 4 on the roster of 55 players is likely. Until the time that someone is cut, I think the talk of drafting a QB is very premature. I also don't think it's likely that it's going to be an "open" competition. There's only so many reps to go around in training camp and in preseason games. Cassel is going to get his chances. They didn't sign him to be a backup and his pressers support that. He expects to compete to start. Rex has said he's excited to see what EJ can do. Unless he's lying, he will get a chance to start as well. What I hope happens is that the team figures out who the starter is going to be as soon as possible, and that person gets as many reps as possible. That's the only way this team can be successful. Whether it's Manuel or Cassel, I don't really care. Setting some wild expectation that it's going to be someone else is just a waste of time.