Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

#ClayWatch is certainly an exercise in patience -- a quality not generally prevalent among fans on a message board.

LMAO.

really well done.

and it's funny, because I was trying to remember who that wideout was that dined here at Tempo after Mario.

Meecham? Quinn? I can't seem to remember his name. He was from New Orleans and ended up signing with San Diego? Or vice versa. Or from neither of those places but ended up signing in one of them? It's been 3 years and I barely remember any of the details. But we HAD to have him. And didn't get him.

For some perspective:

Clay will sign here, have a completely nondescript year or 2, and then we will draft a stud in round 1 in two years, and we won't even remember Clay's name.

But it's 2015 America, so this needs to hurry up and get done immediately so we can all hypervigilantly fixate on something new for an hour, hurl insults back and forth across the internet, take all joy out of recreationally watching a sport, and fill ourselves up with enough rage and anxiety to keep pharmaceutical companies in business selling us pills to take the edge off--from sea to shining sea.

Edited by JohnnyGold

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did you meet him and we didn't?!!?

Met him at the bar at the Marriott in Amherst. The fish fan I brought to the opener immediately recognized this guy and we talked to him for a few hours. To fish fans, this guy walks on water, but as I said before, he had no clue about the Bills.

There was another reporter from the Sun Sentinel named Chris Perkins who was with Omar. Chris on the other hand was very knowledgeable about the Bills roster and staff and was much more down to earth. Great guy to talk to about both pro and college football.

Edited by Flutie Flakes

If Miami offers Clay a longer term contract that he wants , then Miami has a say where he plays.

I said not much of say. You mentioned Miami would prefer a team besides the Bills. That's what I meant. If Miami does not sign him they don't have a say where he plays

I don't think the Bills will submit an offer sheet at all. It sounds like a simple stare down to me. The Bills are in the power position for the following reasons:

1. The Dolphins have more pressing needs on their roster than us. They need to sign other free agents now, more than we have to, in general.

2. They just tied up another $7M in the TE position. Clay is now not as big a necessity, especially with the other roster needs and limited cap space.

3. Dolphins are afraid to sign other free agents right now because then the Bills are more likely to give them a poison pill they can't responsibly match. Meanwhile the Bills signed Harvin and have more flexibility than the Dolphins do because they are not as worried about their cap.

You're pretty much spot on here, but I'd like to take it a little further.

1. On the outside looking in the Dolphins appear to be in a good position cap wise. They have a total of $20m in cap space including Clay's tender and they have about $23M next year, but that doesn't include Clay's money.

In order for them to get to this point they needed to trade and/or release Ellerbe, Wheeler, Hartline, Starks, Wallace, and Gibson. Their safety from last year, Delmas, is not under contract neither is their back up QB Matt Moore and RB Moreno. Odrick walked away in free agency. Stills was acquired in a trade and he replaces Wallace. Even though none of those guys were really productive they're still bodies that need to be replaced. The Dolphins didn't naturally get to this point in their cap.

On top of that Ryan Tannehill will have a $15M cap hit next year if he's not extended before then. Vernon and Pouncey are also free agents.

They truly can't afford Clay. If they re-sign him at $7M per, then they only have $16M remaining to fill all those positions.

2. Cameron's cap hit is only $4.5M this year. I highly doubt they bring him back at $10.5 next year. This is my concern when it comes to Clay

3. Poison pills are no longer legal.

Edited by Justice

Will today FINALLY be the day??

CBF

Hopefully an offer sheet is given and signed today, then we have to wait five more days. Hopefully the Dolphins give up and it's less than that, but somehow I doubt it. Edited by Justice

Incredible. 28 pages and counting of anticipation for maybe signing a still unproven RFA TE.

No other fan base is this invested.

It's actually probably closer to 70-80 pages if you count the 2 thread already closed about Clay.

unproven how?

He's a good player. He brings a skill set and athletic ability at the TE position that we have been sorely lacking for years. Is he worth all of this attention/money? Probably not, but TEs are hard to find so you have to overpay.