Doug Whaley: 11 Trades in Two Years

The only one that I still don't like is the Watkins trade...man, would love to have our #1 this year

Picking at 19, who would you rather have than Sammy this year? There's not a single guy who will be available who's as talented as Watkins, definitely not at 19, probably not in the whole draft (at least on the offensive skill position boards, L.Williams might be a beast in the NFL at DT). I'm curious who you'd target with the pick you'd love to have back.

The other thing about trades is the CBA. The new(er) CBAs have broken the shackles that rookies had on the cash flow - and hence trading between teams. Nobody, well few would trade up into the top 10 by giving up multiple (no JTSP - even MORE MULTIPLE than THAT) draft selections only to take a crap shoot on a player they had to then give tens and tens of millions of dollars too - all on the if-come that they would prove worthy of their contract. There are a lot of players who don't. From Marcus Russell - perhaps the most notorious - to Sam Bradford - the last of the red-hot bonus babies, the fortunes of many franchises have been wrecked upon the rocks of those Sirens.

And if I took two sips from a $0.39 cup of coffee and threw it away, I wouldn't count it as a loss. I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying here.

Also, Mike Williams has been free to sign with any of the 31 other teams for two and a half months now. How's that going?

But, but, but he's a red zone threat that we really need. :w00t:

Mike Williams didn't even sniff the field last year. I would count that as a miss

Why is Bryce Brown a fail? They kept him out of games as we didn't need him and it kept his compensation pick lower. We'll see what he's got this year.

Was that the player or St. Doug?

Mike Williams didn't even sniff the field last year. I would count that as a miss

The first game of the season he caught a 20 yard pass in OT to set up the winning points on a high throw he jumped up for, precisely the reason we traded for him.

Marrone immediately decided never to try that again.

In game four Mike Williams got wide open and caught an 80 yard TD pass.

Marrone immediately decided to pretty much bench him for the rest of the season.

The first game of the season he caught a 20 yard pass in OT to set up the winning points on a high throw he jumped up for, precisely the reason we traded for him.

Marrone immediately decided never to try that again.

In game four Mike Williams got wide open and caught an 80 yard TD pass.

Marrone immediately decided to pretty much bench him for the rest of the season.

:lol: It's sad and funny because it's so true...

Whaley's total background is pro scouting before he became GM. Most of the time, guys will have moved around to work in both college And pro scouting depts before becoming a dir of player personnel (and then GM). And many times, the biggest strength is college scouting. I think this is why Whaley seems to be more comfortable with player trades than other GMs. And has hit on some lower profile FA signings. He seems to have a really good handle on personnel around the league and scheme fit. As long as he has a strong dir of college scouting in place, it should be fine. Not sure how to evaluate his drafts yet. Too early IMO.

I like this because I would think that it's a lot easier to predict future performance based on evaluations vs. NFL players rather than vs. College players.

To me, this is just another way we are trying to win against the grain. Use the D, build up the running game, go after NFL vets and don't put too much value on draft picks / unproven or barely proven players. This is what Billy Beene has been doing in Oakland for years in baseball, quite successfully with a very tight budget. He trades big prospects for MLB vets all the time, he sign value in the FA market, and trades for versatile, solid performers on the field.

I'm loving this direction.

Whaley's total background is pro scouting before he became GM. Most of the time, guys will have moved around to work in both college And pro scouting depts before becoming a dir of player personnel (and then GM). And many times, the biggest strength is college scouting. I think this is why Whaley seems to be more comfortable with player trades than other GMs. And has hit on some lower profile FA signings. He seems to have a really good handle on personnel around the league and scheme fit. As long as he has a strong dir of college scouting in place, it should be fine. Not sure how to evaluate his drafts yet. Too early IMO.

Yolo, my understanding was Whaley worked as the east coast scout for Seattle for a couple of years before joining the Steelers as Pro Personnel Coordinator. He did spend the longest time in that position (10 yr). But I have to admit I googled and I can't see where I saw that. I agree that Whaley seems to have a good network and be very comfortable wheeling and dealing.

I would not play poker with Mr Whaley. I'm not even sure I'd play Settlers of Catan.

Trades aren't just players. It's the cap hit one takes on to acquire a player, and in Williams' case the Bills took on some of that, which was somewhat off-set by only surrendering a low round pick.

The McCoy deal included an even larger degree of that.

As for Bryce Brown, well, the backfield is awfully crowded right now. That deal doesn't look so good in light of the deal made Tuesday night.

Backfield has Fredex age 34, Dixon age 27, Bryce Brown age 23, and now McCoy age 27 in it.

What's crowded about that?

McCoy is the starter

Fredex is the capable aging backup

Dixon is primarily a special teamer, and was signed as a FA at a moderate cost.

Bryce is the young up-n-comer drafted in the mid-rounds. Since our running game sucked in general last year, he gets a pass if he's worth it or not - he did help keep the production up when Spiller went out as part of a tag-team with Dixon.

Lots of folks were wanting the Bills to draft a running back in the 2nd this year, I assume that won't happen though we may take one late.

We've already said we'll reno McCoy's contract. He'll get more guaranteed and we'll get less cap hit.

I'd be fine with them keeping Fredex, but honestly he may be a cap casualty this year since he's no dead money, $2.7M savings, and 34 yrs old.

The only one that I still don't like is the Watkins trade...man, would love to have our #1 this year

I was looking at it as if Kiko coming back would be like our first round pick. Now I can look at as if Shady is our first round pick. I'm down with that.

Backfield has Fredex age 34, Dixon age 27, Bryce Brown age 23, and now McCoy age 27 in it.

What's crowded about that?

McCoy is the starter

Fredex is the capable aging backup

Dixon is primarily a special teamer, and was signed as a FA at a moderate cost.

Bryce is the young up-n-comer drafted in the mid-rounds. Since our running game sucked in general last year, he gets a pass if he's worth it or not - he did help keep the production up when Spiller went out as part of a tag-team with Dixon.

Lots of folks were wanting the Bills to draft a running back in the 2nd this year, I assume that won't happen though we may take one late.

We've already said we'll reno McCoy's contract. He'll get more guaranteed and we'll get less cap hit.

I'd be fine with them keeping Fredex, but honestly he may be a cap casualty this year since he's no dead money, $2.7M savings, and 34 yrs old.

How may running backs dress on game day? And we haven't even spoken about signing a FB yet, which may or may not happen.

In 2009, NYJ rushed 331 with Thomas Jones, 108 times with Shonn Greene, and 72 times with Leon Washington. Let's say the Bills run the ball 500 times. Provided they're healthy, McCoy's going to get 275-325, and the other 175-225 will be between FJax, Dixon, and Brown. That's not a lot split 3 ways, and that's before we talk about a back getting some consistency by getting carries.

Its about time NFL GM's start making more trades. I dont understand why the NFL in particular is so finnicky when it comes to trading players...perhaps a lot of it has to do with scheme....Every team in the NFL has players that arent performing to their organizations expectations, you would think they would be more willing to swap these guys and give them a change in scenary.

I totally agree. Trading is boring in the NFL. If you know you won't resign someone after the season, and won't make the playoffs, (or have a backup coveted by someone else), why don't more teams make trades at the trade deadline to contenders. Very strange. I love the trades Whaley has made. Can't find one that was bad.

all pretty decent. he missed on the Mike Williams and Bryce Brown deals. but how well he did on the others makes up for that

The Mike Williams deal initially looked like a steal... a tall very capable red zone receiver for a 6th rounder? The potential goodness just never came to fruition... and don't blame Williams, I blame the coaches not giving him PT.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

I was looking at it as if Kiko coming back would be like our first round pick. Now I can look at as if Shady is our first round pick. I'm down with that.

Same here. Esp. if Kiko was going to be a backup, largely because Whaley did a great job drafting Preston Brown and Co..

The Mike Williams deal initially looked like a steal... a tall very capable red zone receiver for a 6th rounder? The potential goodness just never came to fruition... and don't blame Williams, I blame the coaches not giving him PT.

same here. And whoever we got in the 6th round likely would not have had the potential that M. Williams has.

How may running backs dress on game day? And we haven't even spoken about signing a FB yet, which may or may not happen.

In 2009, NYJ rushed 331 with Thomas Jones, 108 times with Shonn Greene, and 72 times with Leon Washington. Let's say the Bills run the ball 500 times. Provided they're healthy, McCoy's going to get 275-325, and the other 175-225 will be between FJax, Dixon, and Brown. That's not a lot split 3 ways, and that's before we talk about a back getting some consistency by getting carries.

Interesting analysis. I expect Fred to become Rob Riddick/Kenny Davis in 2015. It'll likely be his swan song - though being a 50-60 carry short yardage situational player might extend his career another year. It's happened before.

I'm not too concerned about a glut of RBs on the squad. Somebody always gets dinged up. Always.