Has Dealer Doug earned benefit of the doubt?

Well of course I'm making "assumptions." So are you and it's necessary given how none of us are allowed behind closed doors. However, I form my opinion and make "assumptions" based on the actions they've taken. I guess critical thinking dies when confronted with fans who cannot criticize their team under any circumstances.

Doug Whaley has become a GM in the mold of Seattle's John Schneider. He doesn't have total personnel control anymore, which I recognize hits to the core of those who don't focus on the inner-workings of the front office. But the relationship between GM's and HC's is rapidly changing in the NFL and Buffalo is one of the teams that has the HC report to the owner and not to a GM. Makes sense given the record of the GM versus the new HC.

Think of it this way: Rex is telling Doug what he's cooking, so he gives Whaley a list of things to get at the store. And Rex does the cooking after Whaley acquires the goods.

The Bills say Whaley has total control. There is nothing anywhere to suggest he doesn't. The Eagles called the Bills about the trade for Kiko and McCoy. It would have been criminally stupid to not get Rex into the decision. There is no reason to believe Rex has final call on personnel. There is also no reason for the Bills to not give it to him, or to lie to the media and fans about it. There are several teams with coaches who do have final say, like Dan Quinn who just signed with the Falcons and they announced he has roster control. The Bills announced Whaley does.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the way Doug - steals players from other teams practice squads, grabs guys off waivers, and draft picks 3-7 and has generally improved the depth

on the other hand some of these bold moves Watkins, McCoy I'm much more skeptical about.

Whaley's job should have been on the line with EJ, the Watkins trade and the failure to build a decent line. So far he has skirted the EJ issue because Nix was technically still in charge, and yet Doug stated it was all him. Terry Pegula is currently being charmed by the snake oil salesman.

While there is no question that this young GM has made some brilliant defensive moves (aside from Justin Rodgers). So many players acquired on the offensive side have been lacking talent in every area. Did the Bills really need to give up the 2015 first round pick for a WR when they don't have the franchise QB? If the FO knew that EJ wasn't the guy when they acquired Kyle Orton, then why not draft Derek Carr?

The simple fact remains that this GM, scouting dept has failed miserably with the offensive side of the ball in every aspect. Plus the team still doesn't have the franchise QB to lead them to the SB. Guys like Matt Cassell, Josh McCown are bum backups that this team wants to use as bridge QB's. A bridge to nowhere.

McCoy is a great acquisition "IF" the FO finally upgrades the O line in three positions, and if not then don't expect much again from the offense this year. I'll bet he will look an awful lot like Spiller. No coach can overcome not having adequate talent.

Whaley's job should have been on the line with EJ, the Watkins trade and the failure to build a decent line. So far he has skirted the EJ issue because Nix was technically still in charge, and yet Doug stated it was all him. Terry Pegula is currently being charmed by the snake oil salesman.

While there is no question that this young GM has made some brilliant defensive moves (aside from Justin Rodgers). So many players acquired on the offensive side have been lacking talent in every area. Did the Bills really need to give up the 2015 first round pick for a WR when they don't have the franchise QB? If the FO knew that EJ wasn't the guy when they acquired Kyle Orton, then why not draft Derek Carr?

The simple fact remains that this GM, scouting dept has failed miserably with the offensive side of the ball in every aspect. Plus the team still doesn't have the franchise QB to lead them to the SB. Guys like Matt Cassell, Josh McCown are bum backups that this team wants to use as bridge QB's. A bridge to nowhere.

McCoy is a great acquisition "IF" the FO finally upgrades the O line in three positions, and if not then don't expect much again from the offense this year. I'll bet he will look an awful lot like Spiller. No coach can overcome not having adequate talent.

With all that failure on the offensive side of the ball, the Bills have managed to snag:

-The first true #1 WR since Moulds, rookie or not, Watkins is a stud

- The best RB in the entire NFL by most measures, still in his prime and now locked up for reasonable money (or about to be)

- A franchise LT in Glenn, a possible bookend RT in Henderson

- A terrific #2 WR in Woods to go along with depth at the WR position in a way we haven't had in awhile

The only thing that slowed the offense down last year was Marrone and Hackett. Yes, the QB is still up in the air but if you can't look at the talent compiled (on both sides of the ball) over Doug's tenure, I don't know what to tell you.

With all that failure on the offensive side of the ball, the Bills have managed to snag:

-The first true #1 WR since Moulds, rookie or not, Watkins is a stud

- The best RB in the entire NFL by most measures, still in his prime and now locked up for reasonable money (or about to be)

- A franchise LT in Glenn, a possible bookend RT in Henderson

- A terrific #2 WR in Woods to go along with depth at the WR position in a way we haven't had in awhile

The only thing that slowed the offense down last year was Marrone and Hackett. Yes, the QB is still up in the air but if you can't look at the talent compiled (on both sides of the ball) over Doug's tenure, I don't know what to tell you.

This team is going nowhere with Matt Cassell at QB.

Henderson only started because they had nobody else, and he was one of the worst RT's in the league. Glenn fell on his face for much of last year, and so much so there is now talk of moving him to RT. If the team had a better option at LT he would be moved. The line still is in desperate need of three starters....after two seasons of free agents, drafts under Whaley.

If Whaley gets a pass for EJ then he should not get credit for Woods either, and Woods had the exact same receptions as Watkins with 65. The difference was being ranked 21st in yards for Watkins vs 63rd in yards for Woods. The Bills STILL don't have that big WR red zone target they have been lacking for years!

What slowed that offense last season was a distinct inability to run block, and pass block properly on the O line. Like that game against the Raiders that could have meant a playoff berth if the Bills could have rushed for more then 13 yards on 13 carries among other things.

and nothing they do at RB will matter if they don't finally fix that line with quality players this off season! A bad first round choice at QB, a bad 2nd round choice at OT, and a WR the team needed to give up three picks, two first rounders to obtain. Whaley is really lucky that Polian turned down the job in Buffalo, and that the Bills still don't have an actual football man as president. JMO

Henderson only started because they had nobody else, and he was one of the worst RT's in the league. Glenn fell on his face for much of last year, and so much so there is now talk of moving him to RT. If the team had a better option at LT he would be moved. The line still is in desperate need of three starters....after two seasons of free agents, drafts under Whaley.

If Whaley gets a pass for EJ then he should not get credit for Woods either, and Woods had the exact same receptions as Watkins with 65. The difference was being ranked 21st in yards for Watkins vs 63rd in yards for Woods. The Bills STILL don't have that big WR red zone target they have been lacking for years!

What slowed that offense last season was a distinct inability to run block, and pass block properly on the O line. Like that game against the Raiders that could have meant a playoff berth if the Bills could have rushed for more then 13 yards on 13 carries among other things.

and nothing they do at RB will matter if they don't finally fix that line with quality players this off season! A bad first round choice at QB, a bad 2nd round choice at OT, and a WR the team needed to give up three picks, two first rounders to obtain. Whaley is really lucky that Polian turned down the job in Buffalo, and that the Bills still don't have an actual football man as president. JMO

So... it was the coaching. I agree. And the source of the problem is gone. The front office has been doing great things lately and UFA hasn't even begun. The game's past Polian by, the Bills are lucky he turned them down, not Whaley.

There's a little black spot on the sun today.....

Great trade for Hughes, but Whaley has overpaid or under received in all of his other trades. I think his lack of experience shows in a number of ways and the Bills could have benefitted greatly from a football czar.

Trades are very rare in the NFL... But Dealer Doug could care less. In his 2 years as GM Whaley has already made 2 major player for player trades ( Hughes/ Sheppard) and now Shady/ Kiko. Throw in the draft trades ( Watkins/ Browns), Stevie Johnson for a 4th rounder snd then trading that to Eagles for Bryce Brown and that equals 5 trades in 2 years. This must be some sort of modern day record.

I'm a little skeptical about this one for Shady.. But I gotta give him benefit of the doubt as the Stevie trade abd Hughes trade were both great moves in in hindsight.

What do you all think? Does Whaley deserve the benefit of the doubt?

not until he makes up for the QB disaster.

So... it was the coaching. I agree. And the source of the problem is gone. The front office has been doing great things lately and UFA hasn't even begun. The game's past Polian by, the Bills are lucky he turned them down, not Whaley.

The coaching was bad, and that is despite the point because if Marrone hadn't chosen to opt out on his own, he, and Hackett would both be still in their respective jobs with the Bills. Whaley wouldn't have changed a thing on his own. The bigger issue, and picture here is that this GM, front office, scouting dept have been really bad at evaluating all offensive talent from QB to linemen, WR, and TE. If Whaley hadn't traded up for Watkins the Bills would have selected TE Eric Ebron.

Better coaching can indeed make a difference on a team, and no question that the Bills offensive players should perform better under Greg Roman. Still, this is the third off season under this GM, and the line regressed in talent, no franchise QB. The line not upgraded properly yet. The way I see things is that Whaley needs some serious help in evaluating offensive talent.

Plenty of moves can, and should be made to improve the offensive side in this years off season. TE, OG 2x, OT, QB. Perhaps Roman can give Whaley the proper insight needed to improve the player quality in offense this season. I still have serious doubts tho because their first choice for bridge QB was 1-10 Josh McCown, and settled for their second choice in Cassell. Not a good sign at all unless they were both proposed backups, and the real starting QB has yet to be acquired. We shall see.

Doug stated EJ was all him? Link or it didn't happen. Everything I've read from Whaley says "EJ was a BILLS PICK" meaning everybody involved bought in. Just as he can't claimed all the credit without going against a series of published quotes at this point, he hasn't claimed all the blame if EJ ultimately busts.

As for the rest - I'd restate the same point-by-point rebuttal of what you term "fact" that has appeared elsewhere, but not wanting to be uber-negative, I kind of feel that it's pointless? I mean, the "every aspect" (ignoring premium players who are looking good such as Watkins and Woods) and the moaning the lack of a franchise QB kind of give the game away - you have "simple fact" fixed in your mind and no actual facts or counter- arguments will sway you, amIright?

Edited by Hopeful

Doug stated EJ was all him? Link or it didn't happen. Everything I've read from Whaley says "EJ was a BILLS PICK" meaning everybody involved bought in. Just as he can't claimed all the credit without going against a series of published quotes at this point, he hasn't claimed all the blame if EJ ultimately busts.

As for the rest - I'd restate the same point-by-point rebuttal of what you term "fact" that has appeared elsewhere, but not wanting to be uber-negative, I kind of feel that it's pointless? I mean, the "every aspect" (ignoring premium players who are looking good such as Watkins and Woods) and the moaning the lack of a franchise QB kind of give the game away - you have "simple fact" fixed in your mind and no actual facts or counter- arguments will sway you, amIright?

Probably a poor choice of words on my part in stating "it was all him". I came away from that draft thinking this was Whaleys choice for QB. Technically the team likes to state it was always a consensus pick, and they have been saying that since Marv was GM.

Doug stated he personally scouted EJ, set up the 2013 draft process and board, and basically states in this video that if EJ is not the starter in three years then he will be looking for a new job. (watch the vid)

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/5/13/4328100/doug-whaley-ej-manuel-buddy-nix-buffalo-bills

Anyway, I'm not campaigning for firing Doug Whaley. What I am attempting to do is remove the rose colored glasses from some fans who think Whaley has done a brilliant overall job, when in my opinion he clearly hasn't on offense. What I'm also attempting to point out is Whaley needs some serious help with the offensive acquisitions other then the current scouts. An experienced football man as team president is what I've been hoping the Bills to hire. If you want to be one of those eternally optimistic fans who sees nothing wrong with Whaley's offensive choices, then fine, as I'll leave you to your opinion.

Probably a poor choice of words on my part in stating "it was all him". I came away from that draft thinking this was Whaleys choice for QB. Technically the team likes to state it was always a consensus pick, and they have been saying that since Marv was GM.

Doug stated he personally scouted EJ, set up the 2013 draft process and board, and basically states in this video that if EJ is not the starter in three years then he will be looking for a new job. (watch the vid)

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/5/13/4328100/doug-whaley-ej-manuel-buddy-nix-buffalo-bills

Anyway, I'm not campaigning for firing Doug Whaley. What I am attempting to do is remove the rose colored glasses from some fans who think Whaley has done a brilliant overall job, when in my opinion he clearly hasn't on offense. What I'm also attempting to point out is Whaley needs some serious help with the offensive acquisitions other then the current scouts. An experienced football man as team president is what I've been hoping the Bills to hire. If you want to be one of those eternally optimistic fans who sees nothing wrong with Whaley's offensive choices, then fine, as I'll leave you to your opinion.

I've been as loud a cheerleader for Whaley lately as anyone, but I don't think he's been perfect. I respect what you're saying, there is some truth to it and of course you have every right to your opinion. I would counter with this, however. As much as you're trying to remove the rose colored glasses, you're also overlooking a number of factors that cut against your thesis. The primary one being that Doug's tenure began in perhaps the most tumultuous era in Bills' history. Forget the fact he inherited a roster that hadn't been to the playoffs in over a decade and was thinner than Kate Bosworth in profile, he took over a team whose owner would pass less than a year after he took the job, plunging the organization into uncharted, and uncertain, territory. We're all glad this story had a happy ending (go Pegulas!), but I don't think it's fair, or accurate, to overlook the choppiness of the waters Doug had to navigate.

And as if a change in ownership wasn't a big enough hurdle, Whaley then had to deal with the abrupt departure of Marrone and his starting QB in a matter of days. Doug, and the Pegulas managed to take control of that situation in an impressive way, turning a crisis into a boon by signing the top coaching name available (even if you don't agree with the hire, Rex's resume is the most impressive the coaching booth has had since Wade) and then bringing in perhaps the best assistant coaching staff in the division, fixing what might have been the biggest factor limiting the Bills success in '14 -- the offensive coaching staff.

Despite the turmoil and the initial financial limitations, Whaley has managed to continually improve the overall talent on the roster each of his years (so far) as GM -- not just in the off season, but throughout the season. He's made bold moves, some you might not agree with (some I might not either) but you can't question that each move added massive talent to the roster. You can certainly argue he overpaid to get those players (Watkins and Shady specifically), but it's hard to argue both of those players aren't incredibly talented, more so than any other player at their position on the roster at the time they were acquired.

You might not agree with the vision, but it's clear Doug has one. That's not something that could be said of a number of our recent GMs. Personally, I think the long term vision includes building this roster up to such a point that they can attract a big time veteran QB who's hungry for a ring to come in next off season. In the short term, the goal is to build the roster to mask the hole they still have at QB while hoping either Cassell / EJ / UFA can muster 10+ wins this year with the defense and Shady leading the way. If one of those QBs steps up, all the better because they'll be cheap by comparison to whatever vet they'd bring in.

But make no mistake, this defense (even if they lose Hughes which I still think they won't) and Roman's offense (with the talent as is) will make the playoffs in '15. And once you're in the playoffs, all you need to do is get hot. This is a very good time to be a Bills fan.

:beer: GO BILLS!

Trades are very rare in the NFL... But Dealer Doug could care less. In his 2 years as GM Whaley has already made 2 major player for player trades ( Hughes/ Sheppard) and now Shady/ Kiko. Throw in the draft trades ( Watkins/ Browns), Stevie Johnson for a 4th rounder snd then trading that to Eagles for Bryce Brown and that equals 5 trades in 2 years. This must be some sort of modern day record.

I'm a little skeptical about this one for Shady.. But I gotta give him benefit of the doubt as the Stevie trade abd Hughes trade were both great moves in in hindsight.

What do you all think? Does Whaley deserve the benefit of the doubt?

What makes you think the Stevie trade was a great move? He was a good receiver for us; hard to judge him in the new context. The Hughes trade fell in Whaley's lap, as he admitted. Sure, he gets some credit but he said it was a "no brainer," and he's right. I hope Whaley's moves work out, but I'm not optimistic. He's acting like a kid on a sugar high. He's paying a high price for his glamorous toys. Watch who's available when our former first-round pick comes up in April. In a RB-heavy draft, that might have been our own Shady, so we would have had him, Alonzo and--if we had a GM who knew his business--Odell or Benjamin, along with a fourth-round pick and a lot more money to spend.

I've been as loud a cheerleader for Whaley lately as anyone, but I don't think he's been perfect. I respect what you're saying, there is some truth to it and of course you have every right to your opinion. I would counter with this, however. As much as you're trying to remove the rose colored glasses, you're also overlooking a number of factors that cut against your thesis. The primary one being that Doug's tenure began in perhaps the most tumultuous era in Bills' history. Forget the fact he inherited a roster that hadn't been to the playoffs in over a decade and was thinner than Kate Bosworth in profile, he took over a team whose owner would pass less than a year after he took the job, plunging the organization into uncharted, and uncertain, territory. We're all glad this story had a happy ending (go Pegulas!), but I don't think it's fair, or accurate, to overlook the choppiness of the waters Doug had to navigate.

And as if a change in ownership wasn't a big enough hurdle, Whaley then had to deal with the abrupt departure of Marrone and his starting QB in a matter of days. Doug, and the Pegulas managed to take control of that situation in an impressive way, turning a crisis into a boon by signing the top coaching name available (even if you don't agree with the hire, Rex's resume is the most impressive the coaching booth has had since Wade) and then bringing in perhaps the best assistant coaching staff in the division, fixing what might have been the biggest factor limiting the Bills success in '14 -- the offensive coaching staff.

Despite the turmoil and the initial financial limitations, Whaley has managed to continually improve the overall talent on the roster each of his years (so far) as GM -- not just in the off season, but throughout the season. He's made bold moves, some you might not agree with (some I might not either) but you can't question that each move added massive talent to the roster. You can certainly argue he overpaid to get those players (Watkins and Shady specifically), but it's hard to argue both of those players aren't incredibly talented, more so than any other player at their position on the roster at the time they were acquired.

You might not agree with the vision, but it's clear Doug has one. That's not something that could be said of a number of our recent GMs. Personally, I think the long term vision includes building this roster up to such a point that they can attract a big time veteran QB who's hungry for a ring to come in next off season. In the short term, the goal is to build the roster to mask the hole they still have at QB while hoping either Cassell / EJ / UFA can muster 10+ wins this year with the defense and Shady leading the way. If one of those QBs steps up, all the better because they'll be cheap by comparison to whatever vet they'd bring in.

But make no mistake, this defense (even if they lose Hughes which I still think they won't) and Roman's offense (with the talent as is) will make the playoffs in '15. And once you're in the playoffs, all you need to do is get hot. This is a very good time to be a Bills fan.

:beer: GO BILLS!

Allow me to share the view of events with Whaley as GM from my perspective. I'll leave the Marrone / Pettine / Schwartz hiring alone and focus on just the offense, and like I stated earlier I think Whaley has done a near brilliant job with the defensive side of things. I'll just discuss the offensive line.

Its 2013, and Buddy Nix has stepped down as GM but stayed on with the team in a consultant role. LG Andy Levitre is testing the free agent market, and the Bills chose to let this 2009 second round pick walk with no compensation. Levitre graded as the teams best pass blocker, and while not a bad run blocker, he was only average.

- The Bills then chose to replace Levitre with backup OG Colin Brown who was benched after five games into the 2013 season, and then released outright after six games. His backup OG in David Snow was also released at the same time. The reason Brown was released was because he graded as the worst OG in the NFL. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5362/colin-brown

- The Bills then moved backup center Doug Legursky to LG, and he played out the season at that position. Grading about as bad as he had in his past with the Steelers as their worst linemen before he came to Buffalo as a FA in 2013. The Bills were exceedingly lucky to not have injuries on the line as they only had walkons off the street as replacements / backups.

These moves might not have been so bad if the team still had Fitz at QB as he had a very quick release, and ability to find the open receiver in about 2 seconds. The problem is that the Bills had just drafted a QB and entered the season with basically three rookie QB's on the roster. :doh:

The next off season the Bills dump Legursky because he was so bad, and didn't even retain him as a backup, and then they acquire the very worst OG / O line player from a bad St Louis Rams team. OG Chris Williams graded in the negative (-21.8) for his play in 2013, and he has a storied past history of oft being injured. While Legursky was bad, he didn't grade anywhere near as bad as Williams.

Just to put their play / grades from PFF in perspective, Colin Brown graded at (-30.1), and Legursky graded at only (-12.5) Meanwhile the man they let walk in Andy Levitre graded at (+17.3) in as a 2013 free agent. In 2013 Cordy graded at (+23.0), and was looking like a stud LT. This past season he fell on his face due to poor play next to him, and the result is a grade of only (+6.5). Erik Pears at RG ended with a grade of (-25.0), and as bad as Pears graded I never saw him shoved 5 yards into the backfield like Urbik was on occasion.

Now imagine if the Buffalo Bills attempted to build the defensive line with free agent bums, and waiver wire pickups that graded as some of the worst players in the NFL. While some were average at run stopping they were bad at pass rushing, or vice versa. The defense would really suck badly no matter who the linebackers or DB's were behind them. Its the same with the offense, only worse. The most valuable position on the field is the QB, and the player you most want to protect, and least want to see injured or running for his life is the QB.

For whatever reason Doug Whaley has it in his head that the team can get by with bums, scrubs on the offensive line, and this is a big reason as to why the team fails to field a decent offense very year. The 2014 Buffalo Bills fielded the 30th ranked offensive line last year and with Richardson at OG they graded as the very worst. There was a distinct reason why the Bills finished with the offense ranked 18th in points, 26th in yards.

The biggest problem I have with the current players on that is line is that they seem to play their worst in the biggest game of the season. Against the 2-12 Oakland Raiders they allowed themselves to be pushed around all over the field. 13 rushes for 13 yards....I mean WTF! says it all. With the playoffs on the line they all fell on their faces.

NOW under Rex Ryan the Bills finally bring in OG Ritchie Incognito when he would have been a clear upgrade at either OG position, and possibly could have helped Buffalo secure a playoff berth last season.

If you don't think the O line is important to the success of a team. Just about every team in the top 15 ranked O lines made the playoffs last season.

-------------------------

In 2013 the Philadelphia Eagles fielded the #1 offensive line in the league with OG Evan Matthews grading at an incredible (+46.7), and is a huge reason why RB LeSean McCoy was the leading rusher in the league that year. Philly was also the #1 rushing team in the NFL that year, and while Buffalo was the #2 team in rushing the difference between what the teams accomplished that season is staggering. The Eagles finished 10-6, and made the playoffs with the 22nd ranked QB starting for them. They had the #4 offense in points, and the #2 offense in yards.

In 2014 the Eagles finished with the #2 ranked offensive line in the league despite all the injuries on that line, as almost every player on that line was injured at some point. McCoy didn't have as good a year last season as he has had in the past, and many attribute that to all those injuries on the line.

Now, how do you think McCoy will fare in Buffalo playing behind one of the worst lines in the league. I'm thinking he will look an awful lot like CJ Spiller dancing around trying to find a hole. The onus is on Whaley this year to finally build a decent quality offensive line to allow that 40 million dollar RB to make plays. Like I stated the Bills need two starting OG's, and a RT. Plus they need a TE who can actually block well, and not get thrown around like a rag doll.

We shall see!!

Allow me to share the view of events with Whaley as GM from my perspective. I'll leave the Marrone / Pettine / Schwartz hiring alone and focus on just the offense, and like I stated earlier I think Whaley has done a near brilliant job with the defensive side of things. I'll just discuss the offensive line.

Its 2013, and Buddy Nix has stepped down as GM but stayed on with the team in a consultant role. LG Andy Levitre is testing the free agent market, and the Bills chose to let this 2009 second round pick walk with no compensation. Levitre graded as the teams best pass blocker, and while not a bad run blocker, he was only average.

- The Bills then chose to replace Levitre with backup OG Colin Brown who was benched after five games into the 2013 season, and then released outright after six games. His backup OG in David Snow was also released at the same time. The reason Brown was released was because he graded as the worst OG in the NFL. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5362/colin-brown

- The Bills then moved backup center Doug Legursky to LG, and he played out the season at that position. Grading about as bad as he had in his past with the Steelers as their worst linemen before he came to Buffalo as a FA in 2013. The Bills were exceedingly lucky to not have injuries on the line as they only had walkons off the street as replacements / backups.

These moves might not have been so bad if the team still had Fitz at QB as he had a very quick release, and ability to find the open receiver in about 2 seconds. The problem is that the Bills had just drafted a QB and entered the season with basically three rookie QB's on the roster. :doh:

The next off season the Bills dump Legursky because he was so bad, and didn't even retain him as a backup, and then they acquire the very worst OG / O line player from a bad St Louis Rams team. OG Chris Williams graded in the negative (-21.8) for his play in 2013, and he has a storied past history of oft being injured. While Legursky was bad, he didn't grade anywhere near as bad as Williams.

Just to put their play / grades from PFF in perspective, Colin Brown graded at (-30.1), and Legursky graded at only (-12.5) Meanwhile the man they let walk in Andy Levitre graded at (+17.3) in as a 2013 free agent. In 2013 Cordy graded at (+23.0), and was looking like a stud LT. This past season he fell on his face due to poor play next to him, and the result is a grade of only (+6.5). Erik Pears at RG ended with a grade of (-25.0), and as bad as Pears graded I never saw him shoved 5 yards into the backfield like Urbik was on occasion.

Now imagine if the Buffalo Bills attempted to build the defensive line with free agent bums, and waiver wire pickups that graded as some of the worst players in the NFL. While some were average at run stopping they were bad at pass rushing, or vice versa. The defense would really suck badly no matter who the linebackers or DB's were behind them. Its the same with the offense, only worse. The most valuable position on the field is the QB, and the player you most want to protect, and least want to see injured or running for his life is the QB.

For whatever reason Doug Whaley has it in his head that the team can get by with bums, scrubs on the offensive line, and this is a big reason as to why the team fails to field a decent offense very year. The 2014 Buffalo Bills fielded the 30th ranked offensive line last year and with Richardson at OG they graded as the very worst. There was a distinct reason why the Bills finished with the offense ranked 18th in points, 26th in yards.

The biggest problem I have with the current players on that is line is that they seem to play their worst in the biggest game of the season. Against the 2-12 Oakland Raiders they allowed themselves to be pushed around all over the field. 13 rushes for 13 yards....I mean WTF! says it all. With the playoffs on the line they all fell on their faces.

NOW under Rex Ryan the Bills finally bring in OG Ritchie Incognito when he would have been a clear upgrade at either OG position, and possibly could have helped Buffalo secure a playoff berth last season.

If you don't think the O line is important to the success of a team. Just about every team in the top 15 ranked O lines made the playoffs last season.

-------------------------

In 2013 the Philadelphia Eagles fielded the #1 offensive line in the league with OG Evan Matthews grading at an incredible (+46.7), and is a huge reason why RB LeSean McCoy was the leading rusher in the league that year. Philly was also the #1 rushing team in the NFL that year, and while Buffalo was the #2 team in rushing the difference between what the teams accomplished that season is staggering. The Eagles finished 10-6, and made the playoffs with the 22nd ranked QB starting for them. They had the #4 offense in points, and the #2 offense in yards.

In 2014 the Eagles finished with the #2 ranked offensive line in the league despite all the injuries on that line, as almost every player on that line was injured at some point. McCoy didn't have as good a year last season as he has had in the past, and many attribute that to all those injuries on the line.

Now, how do you think McCoy will fare in Buffalo playing behind one of the worst lines in the league. I'm thinking he will look an awful lot like CJ Spiller dancing around trying to find a hole. The onus is on Whaley this year to finally build a decent quality offensive line to allow that 40 million dollar RB to make plays. Like I stated the Bills need two starting OG's, and a RT. Plus they need a TE who can actually block well, and not get thrown around like a rag doll.

We shall see!!

Great post. Everyone is giddy about the off-season but there is very little critical thinking going on here. McCoy has had a great line his whole career and has had two great offensive coaches. Look at how the backup RBs have fared in the Reid/Chip systems. If they keep Fred (which I hope to God they do), I think by the end of next year, he'll have outplayed McCoy.

All these long posts about whether he's done a good job or not...

I come back to the fact that we have gone from perpetual 6-10, to 9-7 with a lineup of crap coaches. To me that speaks for player talent.

The worst thing I have to say about him is if he thought Marrone was a good hire.