Has Dealer Doug earned benefit of the doubt?

I didn't even touch on the trade for RB Bryce Brown with a 4th round pick who was a non factor as a RB last season. Remind me again, what round pick did the Seahawks give the Bills for Lynch?

Trading away Stevie Johnson because he didn't mesh well with EJ...only to see EJ benched after three games. Kyle Orton could have used a better receiving red zone threat (a guy who always found a way to get open) to help the Bills move out of that 30th ranked worst in the NFL at scoring TD's in the red zone.

Paying so much for McCoy when he could have signed Spiller for almost half the cost, and Spiller would have been far more productive playing behind that line McCoy has had the last few years. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have quality players on the O line.

Doug Whaley as GM.... Defense, near brilliant. Offense, not very good.

-------

Dumping Fred Jackson to save 2 mill per is downright stupid. He is without question the teams best blocker at RB, and that blocking ability surpasses even the teams current TE's. While not as fast as he once was he certainly would be a big factor as a pass catching third down back. Plus the man is a team captain, and a locker room leader. Not to mention a fan favorite.

Fredex still has some serious elusiveness in him, and that would have shown last year if the line wasn't as bad as it was.

Good points.. however.. blaming all of the O Line problems last year on Whaley is probably not justified. Marrone was the one who sabotaged the first half of the season by shoe horning Pears into Right Guard and a pushing the rookie Henderson out at Right Tackle when he clearly wasn't ready. The right thing to do would have been to let Urbik ( who Whaley had just signed to an extension) start at RG and Pears or Hairston start at RT and then keep grooming the young guys and let them win the jobs when they were ready. Most of the young OL guys Whaley drafted ( Richardson, Henderson) were thrown to the wolves way too early by the coach .. and Kuandjio clearly needed time to learn to adjust his technique to play RT.

Bryce Brown showed his potential with the good game he had against KC ( except for the crushing fumble). Just another example of Marrone being down on one of Whaley's guys.. and then being proven wrong.

The Bills are just fine at WR without Stevie Johnson. I think both Chris Hogan and Robert Woods are better ( cheaper) players than Stevie at this stage of his career. I also think the Red Zone issues are more on the QBs than on the targets.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic