Offensive Line FA's, an in depth look

Estro

By this time of year most of us have familiarized ourselves with the "big name" FA's that are about to hit the market. They'll be some last minute signings and some franchise tags applied, but there is a large crop of quality players about to hit the open market. With the help of profootballfocus.com's grading system I decided to highlight, not only the marquee FA's, but also some of the players who don't have the biggest names, but who graded out well this past season. I'm only listing players that are UFA's.

Offensive Guard: (Player, Team, Age, Position, Snaps Played, Overall Grade)

1. Orlando Franklin, Broncos, 27, LG, 1123, +12.0

2. Mike Iupati, 49ers, 27, LG, 970, +11.2

3. Clint Boling, Bengals, 25, LG, 950, +5.0

4. Mike Pollack, Bengals, 30, RG/LG, 450, +5.0

5. Rob Sims, Lions, 31, LG, 1111, -1.0

6. James Carpenter, Seahawks, 25, LG, 846, -6.6

To put their numbers into perspective Eric Pears graded out with a -25.0 (1086 snaps played), Kraig Urbik -9.1 (636 snaps) and Cyril Richardson -13.7 (321 snaps). Not a whole lot of explanation needed here. Our guard play was atrocious and these numbers show it. Pears was almost dead last, Richardson would've been right there w/ Pears if he played more, and Urbik was also pretty bad. Urbik wasn't as terrible as the other two, but certainly well below average. Even with the signing of Incognito, the Bills need another big upgrade at G.

Franklin and Iupati will both command big $$$ on the open market. Franklin is a well balanced G who is above average in both run and pass blocking. Iupati, is a dominant run blocker (2nd best in the league last year), but actually graded out rather poorly pass blocking, which should be a concern, IMO. Clint Boling, is a little under the radar, and graded out average pass blocking and above average run blocking. Carpenter is a bit like Urbik, an average pass blocker and a below average run blocker. Both Rob Sims and Mike Pollack, won't command nearly as much as the others due to age, but would still represent huge upgrades to what we currently have on the roster. Keep in mind, average G play is a huge upgrade compared to what the Bills trotted out onto the field for the 2014 season.

Offensive Tackle: (Player, Team, Age, Position, Snaps Played, Overall Grade)

1. Bryan Bulaga, Packers, 25, RT, 947, +11.9

2. Derek Newton, Texans, 27, RT, 1130, +8.9

3. Doug Free, Cowboys, 31, RT, 716, +8.5

4. Ryan Harris, Chiefs, 29, RT, 980, -1.6

Cordy Glenn graded out with a +6.5 (1069 snaps). Solid enough. Seantrel Henderson graded out with a -29.9 (1086 snaps), downright putrid. He graded out very bad pass blocking and graded out as one of the worst run blocking T's in the league. Given how much Rex and Roman want to emphasize the run this year, you'd have to think they'll look to replace Henderson in the starting lineup. Any of the above players would be huge, huge, huge upgrades over Henderson.

Bulaga and Newton are the guys that will command the most $$$. They have the right combination of being both young and good. Bulaga is one of the better pass blocking RT's in the NFL, and is a competent/average run blocker. Newton, on the other hand, graded out as the best run blocking RT in the league, but is a below average pass blocker, though not nearly as bad as Henderson. Doug Free is more evenly balanced as a slightly above average pass blocker and a good run blocker. Finally, Ryan Harris graded out middle of the pack as both a run and pass blocker.

Centers: (Player, Team, Age, Position, Snaps Played, Overall Grade)

1. Rodney Hudson, Chiefs, 25, 1031, +13.0

2. Stefen Wisiniewski, Raiders, 25, 1041, -2.5

Eric Wood graded out with a -5.5 (1083 snaps). Not terrible, but not good either. He was slightly below average as both a run and pass blocker, and hasn't had a positive run blocking score since his rookie year. I'm hopeful Eric's play can bump up under Rex and Roman because he hasn't been playing up to his contract. I know he is a fan favorite, but this will be a big year for Wood. If he can't become a plus run blocker in '15 his tenure with the Bills will be on shaky grounds, IMO.

Hudson is a nice young C, who graded out well as a run and pass blocker, and represents a big upgrade over anything we currently have on our roster. Wisniewski is a decent run blocker, but was a below average pass blocker.

In summary, I tend to like the offensive lineman who are at least competent as both run and pass blockers. It scares me to see a guy who struggles in one category even if he dominates in the other. Teams prey on their opponents weaknesses, so if you have one it will get exposed. That makes me a little weary of Mike Iupati and Derek Newton who are both big pluses in the run game, but are weak as pass blockers, particularly Iupati. One last note, boy was our offensive line just atrocious under Marrone. It seems like every single lineman regressed, let's hope that changes.

Edited by Estro

Boling or Iupati seem like the best fits. Although, I read an article talking about how much iupati is overrated which frightens me.1

Yea I referred to Iupati scaring me a bit in the original post. He's a dominant run blocker, 2nd best of any G in the NFL last season, but his pass blocking was bad. Not just below average, but bad. The Bills already have a bunch of poor pass blockers on their roster. Adding another one, and paying him a lot of money to do so would be a definite concern.

I'd actually prefer Boling, and he will probably sign for less.

Edited by Estro

Nice review, thanks for the info. I've been wondering what they'll do about Seantrel and the RT spot, since I haven't heard nearly as much about that position as the G positions.

Nice review, thanks for the info. I've been wondering what they'll do about Seantrel and the RT spot, since I haven't heard nearly as much about that position as the G positions.

Yea, I didn't realize how bad Seantrel Henderson really was until I put this post together. He was almost the worst tackle in all of football. Signing a RT is a much bigger need than what has been discussed, as you mention. Rex also brought up the fact that they'll be looking to add T's.

Doug Free, would be a nice get for this team if we can't land Bulaga or Newton.

This was Glenn's worst year by far. He was on the cusp of being an elite tackle. It is nice to see that he still graded positively in spite of performing far below his standards. Wood has been a concern of mine the past couple seasons. He has not been the player the fans perceive him to be.

I like Boling as our upgrade with reasonable contract.

This was Glenn's worst year by far. He was on the cusp of being an elite tackle. It is nice to see that he still graded positively in spite of performing far below his standards. Wood has been a concern of mine the past couple seasons. He has not been the player the fans perceive him to be.

Glenn's rookie year was his worst according to profootballfocus.com. But you are right about him falling off quite a bit this past season compared to the 2013 season

In '13 he had a +19.6 grade, much better than his +6.5 in '14.

I think he'll bounce back in a big way under Rex, Roman and Kromer.

BTW, for those curious here are the grades on Incognito:

2012: +9.4 with 1048 snaps played (+6.3 pass blocking & +1.7 run blocking). Played LG

2013: +7.2 with 472 snaps played (+3.6 pass blocking & +2.3 run blocking). Played LG

2014: DNP

So, pretty good.

Edited by Estro

By this time of year most of us have familiarized ourselves with the "big name" FA's that are about to hit the market. They'll be some last minute signings and some franchise tags applied, but there is a large crop of quality players about to hit the open market. With the help of profootballfocus.com's grading system I decided to highlight, not only the marquee FA's, but also some of the players who don't have the biggest names, but who graded out well this past season. I'm only listing players that are UFA's.

To put their numbers into perspective Eric Pears graded out with a -25.0 (1086 snaps played), Kraig Urbik -9.1 (636 snaps) and Cyril Richardson -13.7 (321 snaps). Not a whole lot of explanation needed here. Our guard play was atrocious and these numbers show it. Pears was almost dead last, Richardson would've been right there w/ Pears if he played more, and Urbik was also pretty bad. Urbik wasn't as terrible as the other two, but certainly well below average. Even with the signing of Incognito, the Bills need another big upgrade at G.

Franklin and Iupati will both command big $$$ on the open market. Franklin is a well balanced G who is above average in both run and pass blocking. Iupati, is a dominant run blocker (2nd best in the league last year), but actually graded out rather poorly pass blocking, which should be a concern, IMO. Clint Boling, is a little under the radar, and graded out average pass blocking and above average run blocking. Carpenter is a bit like Urbik, an average pass blocker and a below average run blocker. Both Rob Sims and Mike Pollack, won't command nearly as much as the others due to age, but would still represent huge upgrades to what we currently have on the roster. Keep in mind, average G play is a huge upgrade compared to what the Bills trotted out onto the field for the 2014 season.

Cordy Glenn graded out with a +6.5 (1069 snaps). Solid enough. Seantrel Henderson graded out with a -29.9 (1086 snaps), downright putrid. He graded out very bad pass blocking and graded out as one of the worst run blocking T's in the league. Given how much Rex and Roman want to emphasize the run this year, you'd have to think they'll look to replace Henderson in the starting lineup. Any of the above players would be huge, huge, huge upgrades over Henderson.

Bulaga and Newton are the guys that will command the most $$$. They have the right combination of being both young and good. Bulaga is one of the better pass blocking RT's in the NFL, and is a competent/average run blocker. Newton, on the other hand, graded out as the best run blocking RT in the league, but is a below average pass blocker, though not nearly as bad as Henderson. Doug Free is more evenly balanced as a slightly above average pass blocker and a good run blocker. Finally, Ryan Harris graded out middle of the pack as both a run and pass blocker.

Eric Wood graded out with a -5.5 (1083 snaps). Not terrible, but not good either. He was slightly below average as both a run and pass blocker, and hasn't had a positive run blocking score since his rookie year. I'm hopeful Eric's play can bump up under Rex and Roman because he hasn't been playing up to his contract. I know he is a fan favorite, but this will be a big year for Wood. If he can't become a plus run blocker in '15 his tenure with the Bills will be on shaky grounds, IMO.

Hudson is a nice young C, who graded out well as a run and pass blocker, and represents a big upgrade over anything we currently have on our roster. Wisniewski is a decent run blocker, but was a below average pass blocker.

In summary, I tend to like the offensive lineman who are at least competent as both run and pass blockers. It scares me to see a guy who struggles in one category even if he dominates in the other. Teams prey on their opponents weaknesses, so if you have one it will get exposed. That makes me a little weary of Mike Iupati and Derek Newton who are both big pluses in the run game, but are weak as pass blockers, particularly Iupati. One last note, boy was our offensive line just atrocious under Marrone. It seems like every single lineman regressed, let's hope that changes.

Thanks Estro, very good work. There's 3 more players i wound like to see there grades if u have the time.

Jeremy Parnell Rt Dallas

Justin Blalock LG ATL

Jahri Evans LG Saints

nice post :thumbsup:

Clint Boling and Doug Free sound like the way to go

Thanks Estro, very good work. There's 3 more players i wound like to see there grades if u have the time.

Jeremy Parnell Rt Dallas

Justin Blalock LG ATL

Jahri Evans LG Saints

I'm glad you brought up Jeremy Parnell, he's a guy who I overlooked and he should definitely be on the list. He graded out well. He was a +8.7 (played 388 snaps). He was +3.4 pass blocking & +5.3 run blocking, so above average in both. A very intriguing under the radar guy, that I actually like quite a bit. He actually only played 1 year of college football (he played college basketball for Ole Miss), and that was on the defensive side of the ball. He's only played o-line for a few years so he's a very late bloomer, and a guy I think that could still be viewed as being on the upswing.

Justin Blalock was graded at +3.8 (991 snaps played). He was a +7.5 the year previous. Not too shabby at all. He is a LG though, and we did just sign Incognito so I'm not sure if the Bills would be looking to sign 2 FA LG's with starter potential.

Jahri Evans, who is a RG, was a -6.5 on his 1158 snaps in '14. He graded out very poorly as a pass blocker and good as a run blocker. In '13 he graded a +11.1 on 999 snaps, and unlike his '14 season, had better marks as a pass blocker than a run blocker. So teams would have to assess if last year was an outlier, as far as poorer play, or if he's beginning to decline.

Thanks for bringing up Parnell, though, he is really intriguing and could maybe be had for a reasonable deal.

By the way was Jahri Evans ever cut?

Edited by Estro

Surprise, surprise -- another player regressing under Marrone's tutelage.

Estro, thanks for a very informative post.

If the Bills could sign a better center maybe Eric Wood would be better back at OG. Be nice to have a starting center who could also long snap to free up a roster spot.

Get 1 of the top 3 FA , OGs for sure. The Bills have some potential young OT's if the middle OL is corrected.

Fix the OL , EJ has time and the Bills can have a running game . All they have to do is look at Dallas OL

Estro, I really appreciate posts with so much objective information we can all learn where we can go in free agency. The line is perfect for free agency as you get a proven commodity, and they can make an impact right away.

Thanks as I'm hoping we go after Franklin, or possibly Lupatti.

This is a good topic and a very interesting analysis.... albeit the usual qualifiers about PFF grades being part of the story on a player's performance but by no means authoritative do apply.

I think whilst it is obvious that the Bills could use an upgrade in performance at right tackle I think there were enough positives in Henderson's play (and frankly having been back myself and watched all the snaps I think the extremely low PFF grade is unfair) to suggest that he can still develop into a solid starter with better coaching, better scheming and more support on his inside. So whilst I would consider a cheap veteran option to come in and maybe start this year I don't think there is any justification for the Bills to give up on Henderson long term.

At guard I have been banging the Boling > Iupati drum for some time. I just think he is a more well rounded player and whilst the PFF grades might not suggest this I actually think even in run blocking there was a slight regression in Iupati's game in 2014 when he wasn't quite the all dominant monster he was in 2013 & 2013. I also like James Carpenter as well.... again his grade being a minus doesn't support what I saw on the film. The Seahawks had some uncertainty on that line with injuries and players coming in and out and Carpenter was pretty consistent throughout. What I like about him in particular (and his fit for what Roman wants to do) is that he really completes his blocks in the passing game on the play action and boot out stuff. He has also started at both right guard and right tackle in the league too and so gives you real versatility. I have been and looked at Sims' film as well thinking he might be a cheap veteran option as the second new guard (this before we signed Incognito when I was thinking I wanted 1 top tier guy and a cheaper filler option) and I have to say I'd have graded him lower than PFF have. I think that grade is kind. His agility has fallen off a bit and his struggles to get out in front in the screen game really limited the impact that Joique Bell and Reggie Bush had on screen passes compared to a year ago.

I also agree with those whohave begun to question Eric Wood. I would not prioritise a new centre this off-season but if the right upgrades are in place around him and Wood can't have something of a bounce back next year then it may be time to look elsewhere for the answer in that position. It is his lack of push in the run game that worries me the most and is a real problem in goalline and 3rd and short situations.

I'm glad you brought up Jeremy Parnell, he's a guy who I overlooked and he should definitely be on the list. He graded out well. He was a +8.7 (played 388 snaps). He was +3.4 pass blocking & +5.3 run blocking, so above average in both. A very intriguing under the radar guy, that I actually like quite a bit. He actually only played 1 year of college football (he played college basketball for Ole Miss), and that was on the defensive side of the ball. He's only played o-line for a few years so he's a very late bloomer, and a guy I think that could still be viewed as being on the upswing.

Justin Blalock was graded at +3.8 (991 snaps played). He was a +7.5 the year previous. Not too shabby at all. He is a LG though, and we did just sign Incognito so I'm not sure if the Bills would be looking to sign 2 FA LG's with starter potential.

Jahri Evans, who is a RG, was a -6.5 on his 1158 snaps in '14. He graded out very poorly as a pass blocker and good as a run blocker. In '13 he graded a +11.1 on 999 snaps, and unlike his '14 season, had better marks as a pass blocker than a run blocker. So teams would have to assess if last year was an outlier, as far as poorer play, or if he's beginning to decline.

Thanks for bringing up Parnell, though, he is really intriguing and could maybe be had for a reasonable deal.

By the way was Jahri Evans ever cut?

Thanks Estro, I myself am a big fan of Jeremy Parnell and would love to see the Bills sign him to 4-5 yr deal at 5mil per. He would be a huge upgrade over Henderson. This signing would also kick Henderson into the swing tackle role and adds great depth to our line. Also allowing Henderson some time to develop properly on the bench and if he gets alot better gives us some leverage with Cordy going into free agency in 2016.

When it comes to signing Blalock I'm pretty sure Incognito played RG during the early portion of his career and it shouldn't be a big adjustment for him moving to the right side. Jahri Evans hasn't been cut yet but it seems like if they can't rework his contract he would be on the street very soon. I would also like to point out that Jahri played hurt last season and should be 100% going into 2015.

If the Bills could sign a better center maybe Eric Wood would be better back at OG. Be nice to have a starting center who could also long snap to free up a roster spot.

Get 1 of the top 3 FA , OGs for sure. The Bills have some potential young OT's if the middle OL is corrected.

Fix the OL , EJ has time and the Bills can have a running game . All they have to do is look at Dallas OL

Are there any teams that don't carry a dedicated Long Snapper? Levy always said it's the most difficult skill to coach. Freeing up the long snapper roster spot doesn't sound like a great idea. Look for skills that overlap more (LB or WR + ST) to save roster spots.

I think both tackles and Eric Wood will improve quote a bit with competent guard play next to them. Please consider that OL really is a unit, and any attempt to separate out individual players should be given its due respect, but taken with a grain of salt.

Listed are my preferences. WRT Center

I'm good with Eric Wood

Are there any teams that don't carry a dedicated Long Snapper? Levy always said it's the most difficult skill to coach. Freeing up the long snapper roster spot doesn't sound like a great idea. Look for skills that overlap more (LB or WR + ST) to save roster spots.

I think both tackles and Eric Wood will improve quote a bit with competent guard play next to them. Please consider that OL really is a unit, and any attempt to separate out individual players should be given its due respect, but taken with a grain of salt.

I don't think you'd want your starting center to also be your long snapper, considering the risk of injury on the offensive line. Even though it seems like long snapping is no big deal, you really don't want to have to rely on your backup option if at all possible, especially for FGs.

Listed are my preferences. WRT Center

I'm good with Eric Wood

I can't imagine the Packers will let Bulaga go.

Edited by Rubes