Do you, or did you, consider yourself a drunkard?

GOBILLS78

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I scored a 15. But I have now 6 days clean and sober and intend to stay that way. I go to meetings regularly. Previously was drunk every day of my life for the at least the last 10 years. My wife and family have all left me because of it. I now have to sell my house and all other properties to settle the separation. I now need to find a new place to live in the next 60 days. So yes I was a drunkard but at least now have 6 days clean and sober. Please say a prayer for me to help me stay that way. It's destroyed my family and my life.

I might move back to Buffalo, how much would a decent 2 bedroom 2 bath cost in the city close to everything. Could be a house or a newer condo on the water front?

Sorry to hear that and congrats on the six days. Best wishes.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Dude, sorry to hear and best of luck. You know most if not all of us are here if you need some sort of 'anonymous' support, we make light of it a lot, but when someone is faced with the serious side of things, this group does a pretty good job of 'circling the wagons' for one of our own.

I do like how even after your telling your story, people still answered the question :D , stay strong, Man and take one day at a time

I scored a 15. But I have now 6 days clean and sober and intend to stay that way. I go to meetings regularly. Previously was drunk every day of my life for the at least the last 10 years. My wife and family have all left me because of it. I now have to sell my house and all other properties to settle the separation. I now need to find a new place to live in the next 60 days. So yes I was a drunkard but at least now have 6 days clean and sober. Please say a prayer for me to help me stay that way. It's destroyed my family and my life.

I might move back to Buffalo, how much would a decent 2 bedroom 2 bath cost in the city close to everything. Could be a house or a newer condo on the water front?

Edited by The Poojer

Thanks for all of the encouraging words. If anyone could recommend a good realtor. PM me their info so I can call them. I am seriously considering moving back to Buffalo. I like the new canal waterfront district. I have friends in Buffalo and family in Canada so easy access to the Peace Bridge is a deciding factor. Thanks again for the support.

Thanks for all of the encouraging words. If anyone could recommend a good realtor. PM me their info so I can call them. I am seriously considering moving back to Buffalo. I like the new canal waterfront district. I have friends in Buffalo and family in Canada so easy access to the Peace Bridge is a deciding factor. Thanks again for the support.

did you try realtor.com? Just to get a idea?

Sorry for being a stick in the mud. Why does this seem glorified... Being a "drunkard?" Maybe I am misreading it and it is actually intended to get people to not be in denial about their alcoholism. I have nothing against social drinkers, but this goes way beyond any kind of social drinking. Just FiSD's story alone shows how lives can be torn apart. Is it a sign of the times or was it always like this, the glorification... There really is a "Drunkard Magazine." Yikes. I am not a teetotaler, but being around alcholism sure makes you scratch your head when you read articles like this.

Hang in there FiSD!

that's why i was kind of glad the ones i said 'yes' to weren't the ones that you wake up from embarrassed about...., still find it difficult that being a homebrewer goes into making one a drunkard, or getting drunk with your father, or fishing with buddies.

Sorry for being a stick in the mud. Why does this seem glorified... Being a "drunkard?" Maybe I am misreading it and it is actually intended to get people to not be in denial about their alcoholism. I have nothing against social drinkers, but this goes way beyond any kind of social drinking. Just FiSD's story alone shows how lives can be torn apart. Is it a sign of the times or was it always like this, the glorification... There really is a "Drunkard Magazine." Yikes. I am not a teetotaler, but being around alcholism sure makes you scratch your head when you read articles like this.

Hang in there FiSD!

So if I'm understanding, you're leaving San Diego to move to Buffalo?

oO

that's why i was kind of glad the ones i said 'yes' to weren't the ones that you wake up from embarrassed about...., still find it difficult that being a homebrewer goes into making one a drunkard, or getting drunk with your father, or fishing with buddies.

So true! The fishing thing got me... But then again, I can tell you a story about what happened to my brother one year fishing w/his buddies in Sandusky, Ohio. That trip tied in w/a few others! I understand the article is not serious, but for some (maybe more than we want to think)... This thing is life and death.

Again, sorry for being so serious.

So if I'm understanding, you're leaving San Diego to move to Buffalo?

oO

After selling all the assets from the separation, I'm exploring options to see where I can get my best bang for the buck for a decent house or condo with the proceeds. San Diego is freaking expensive. I don't want to be house poor. I would prefer to pay cash for the house or condo and have no mortgage and still have some cash in the bank for emergencies. I used to live in Buffalo and loved it! Ya it will be cold, but so what. I'll get used to it. If I can get a decent condo for $200,000 in Buffalo that would cost $800,000 in San Diego, Buffalo is starting to look pretty good. Plus I can go to all home games and be closer to my family.

did you try realtor.com? Just to get a idea?

No , but I'm in the real estate business but not as an agent. And all agents are good. There are great ones, good ones, and bad ones. I want to get hooked up with a great one. That's why I was asking for a referral to a great agent. My brother is an agent in Canada is trying to find me a solid agent that will work his/her butt off to find me what I'm looking for at a value price.

Wow man that is rough. My wife on several occassions has called me a binge achoholic. See I am not the guy that is going to drink 7 days a week but once I start I just can't have 2 or 3 beers, I got to drink 15-20. Part of the reason I rarely drink during the week. Sure I have gone benders but not sure if I could function in everyday life if I drank everyday. I just can't have a couple drinks. I am sure our waterfront property is a lot cheaper then in San Diego. Those condos by the inner harbor(or is it outer harbor?) I believe run between $200M - $250M. They are really nice though. Good luck to you my man. I hope you get your life back together.

Wow man that is rough. My wife on several occassions has called me a binge achoholic. See I am not the guy that is going to drink 7 days a week but once I start I just can't have 2 or 3 beers, I got to drink 15-20. Part of the reason I rarely drink during the week. Sure I have gone benders but not sure if I could function in everyday life if I drank everyday. I just can't have a couple drinks. I am sure our waterfront property is a lot cheaper then in San Diego. Those condos by the inner harbor(or is it outer harbor?) I believe run between $200M - $250M. They are really nice though. Good luck to you my man. I hope you get your life back together.

Thanks, I used to drink 18 to 24 beers a night but could work the next day. I hope you mean $200,000 to $300,000 not $2,000,000 to $3,000,000 ! Day 8 and going to more recovery classes today.

Thanks, I used to drink 18 to 24 beers a night but could work the next day. I hope you mean $200,000 to $300,000 not $2,000,000 to $3,000,000 ! Day 8 and going to more recovery classes today.

18-24?? Holy smokes. My limit is 8 and I thought I was bad. I quit in 1991 and didn't touch a drop for 10 years. I was working in kitchens and I was pounding the stuff every day seeing most of it was free. When I quit I wrote a small little S on my calendar to signify a sober day. I quit cold turkey all by myself. I wasn't easy but I did it. I went to the library and pulled a 12 stop program book off the shelf and read step one. You have no control over your own actions (or something like that) Bulleffingshit!! There is only one person in the whole wide room that has control over my actions and it was me. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have 2-5 drinks almost every day. Very rarely when the kids are awake (unless the Bills or Orange are playing), and never to the point of being drunk. I just enjoy drinking a few glasses of wine or a couple of beers to forget about my chaotic job and enjoy my evening. I'm not sure if that makes me a "drunkard" or an "alcoholic," but if it does I am comfortable with that.

I used to put away at least a 12 pack per night in my college years and early-mid twenties. My body just can't recover from that anymore. Also, I think back to all the stupid things I did while drunk, and I realize (not matter how much I'd like to) that I can't get away with that stuff anymore. Getting arrested for public intoxication isn't cute when you're 36.