RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

It can potentially cost a guy they actually want to sign here because he sees the 1st round pick from 2 years ago on the roster.

People can say "well I don't want a guy that doesn't want competition" all they want but the simple truth is given the last 15 years of history and the geographical location we are already fighting an uphill battle. For some of these signings it'll come down to splitting hairs. If Rex & Roman are completely out on EJ, I can't blame them for removing a potential roadblock to a guy they do believe in.

What QB worth his salt would look at the Bills QBs and say "that scares me, I'm signing elsewhere."

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can potentially cost a guy they actually want to sign here because he sees the 1st round pick from 2 years ago on the roster.

People can say "well I don't want a guy that doesn't want competition" all they want but the simple truth is given the last 15 years of history and the geographical location we are already fighting an uphill battle. For some of these signings it'll come down to splitting hairs. If Rex & Roman are completely out on EJ, I can't blame them for removing a potential roadblock to a guy they do believe in.

If Rex and Roman (and I don't know why you're leaving Whaley out of this equation since he picks the roster) "believe in" Josh freaking McCown to the extent they think having EJ on the roster would "spook" him, we've got troubles....

The best are determined by head to head competition. Just like last off season was BS because no competition was brought in, this will be BS if Manuel is cut before being able to take part in a competition among what appears to be limited competition.

I agree about competition.

In another thread, I argued that we will only bring in "competition" at QB who Whaley/Rex thinks can actually win the starting job. I'm all for it. Which is to say, I dont think they are going out looking for backups.

Which brings us full circle. Whaley/Rex dont think EJ is the one. Maybe they hope he can be. But bringing in backups means they are to backup EJ. They arent bringing in backups.

To what end though? Why cut EJ? At worst, he's a solid backup, and his contract isn't anything to worry over from a salary cap perspective. I'm certainly not doubting Leroi (pbuh) but it doesn't make sense.

My thoughts exactly, what is the benefit to cuttibg EJ? My only guess is if they bring in another young QB to develop but can't see that happening until the draft so this really doesn't make sense.

Not that I agree with it, but one reason I can think of is training camp reps. If they are going to bring someone in and the expectation by Rex/Roman is that McCown and the new guy will go into training camp #1 and #2, it might not be worth it to keep EJ around as a distraction (with the media if nothing else) when he'll only be taking #3 reps, which likely won't give him much opportunity to prove himself. Or maybe they want to give him a chance to catch on elsewhere as a backup; it's not unheard of for teams to let guys go early for their benefit.

Not that I agree with it, but one reason I can think of is training camp reps. If they are going to bring someone in and the expectation by Rex/Roman is that McCown and the new guy will go into training camp #1 and #2, it might not be worth it to keep EJ around as a distraction (with the media if nothing else) when he'll only be taking #3 reps, which likely won't give him much opportunity to prove himself. Or maybe they want to give him a chance to catch on elsewhere as a backup; it's not unheard of for teams to let guys go early for their benefit.

Hey! There's no room here for a well thought out, logical post!

We're on a Witch-hunt here!

I agree about competition.

In another thread, I argued that we will only bring in "competition" at QB who Whaley/Rex thinks can actually win the starting job. I'm all for it. Which is to say, I dont think they are going out looking for backups.

Which brings us full circle. Whaley/Rex dont think EJ is the one. Maybe they hope he can be. But bringing in backups means they are to backup EJ. They arent bringing in backups.

Every QB available or likely to be available is an NFL backup. That's how bad the situation is for this team. All the more reason to keep all the talent you have/can acquire. You don't know until you know and there's no way RomanRex knows what they need to about EJ and the QB position as a whole for the team at this time.

I like inside sources and they're fun. But why would you leak this and kill any potential trade value if you really are ready to move on from EJ?

Straight dumb sauce.

I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to cut EJ now but you got to be kidding with Manuel having any kind of trade value. You couldn't get a 6th round pick for him right now. He has no trade value. With that being said I would keep until at least the first cuts of training camp. What does it hurt keeping him on the roster.

What QB worth his salt would look at the Bills QBs and say "that scares me, I'm signing elsewhere."

I'm not saying one would, but it can't be dismissed out of hand. There are a whole lot of factors in play as to why someone would sign here or one of the other places they'll be able to compete for a job. Houston looks to have a wide open competition and there's likely to be playing time with the Jets just to name two. For all our love for our defense and Rex, those are clearly more desirable markets for guys making millions in the primes of their lives to live in.

If Rex and Roman don't believe in EJ there's no real reason to keep him around other than "but we used a 1st round pick on him" and "but the dead cap room" and "I believe in him".

and which qb stands so head and shoulders above that he should be dictating roster moves before hes even on the roster? if any of the options out there have that ego, id be concerned, as none of them have the resume (and if they did they likely wouldnt care).

Whether this is true or not, It's still amusing to watch all the EMBLA members freak out about it.

It's not something I would expect to see happen, but the people who would ultimately make that decision know a whole lot more about Manuel, their options, and their strategy than I do, so until I have reason to think otherwise I'll assume their moves make more sense than whatever I, in my infinite ignorance, may think.

I'm not saying one would, but it can't be dismissed out of hand. There are a whole lot of factors in play as to why someone would sign here or one of the other places they'll be able to compete for a job. Houston looks to have a wide open competition and there's likely to be playing time with the Jets just to name two. For all our love for our defense and Rex, those are clearly more desirable markets for guys making millions in the primes of their lives to live in.

If Rex and Roman don't believe in EJ there's no real reason to keep him around other than "but we used a 1st round pick on him" and "but the dead cap room" and "I believe in him".

or "if mccown tears an acl working out in the 3rd day of free agency we cant find a better option"

and which qb stands so head and shoulders above that he should be dictating roster moves before hes even on the roster? if any of the options out there have that ego, id be concerned, as none of them have the resume (and if they did they likely wouldnt care).

God, I hate it when we agree.

The best are determined by head to head competition. Just like last off season was BS because no competition was brought in, this will be BS if Manuel is cut before being able to take part in a competition among what appears to be limited competition.

So far, I'm on the side of thinking this doesn't make sense (I may be swayed by what happens in FA and the draft), but to your point, a QB competition requires splitting reps fairly evenly in camp (each QB getting around the same snaps AND with the same personnel groupings). As I said earlier, IF Rex/Roman feel that EJ would be going in to camp as number 3 and they don't want to waste time with the three QB's in a competition while also trying to implement a whole new offensive scheme, I can certainly see why a competition is not an option.

Also, as someone else pointed out, if they plan on drafting a project, that guy will need all the reps he can get in camp, and EJ is taking that away from him. EJ would almost certainly beat out a project draftee for the #3, but if that's the guy you want to move forward with then it doesn't matter, EJ has to go.

Obviously I'm delving into wild speculation at this point, but I just can't agree with everyone saying there is no situation where this makes sense.

Whether this is true or not, It's still amusing to watch all the EMBLA members freak out about it.

It's not something I would expect to see happen, but the people who would ultimately make that decision know a whole lot more about Manuel, their options, and their strategy than I do, so until I have reason to think otherwise I'll assume their moves make more sense than whatever I, in my infinite ignorance, may think.

normally id agree - but it does concern me some that we have terribly flubbed this decision once with whaley at the helm. Edited by NoSaint

Every QB available or likely to be available is an NFL backup. That's how bad the situation is for this team. All the more reason to keep all the talent you have/can acquire. You don't know until you know and there's no way RomanRex knows what they need to about EJ and the QB position as a whole for the team at this time.

Yes, but lets flesh it out. If all the QBs are currently backup-quality (and I agree), and we are chasing them / bringing them in, there's only 2 ways to go.

We are bringing them in to backup (so why would they leave their current cushy visor-wearing gigs?), or we are bringing them in to UPGRADE the QB position. Bringing them in to possibly start.

Which in all, suggests that Whaley/Rex dont believe EJ is the "starter" because it doesnt "feel" like they are chasing McCown et al to backup. They think that other teams' backups can start here.

So either you think we are bringing in backups, or we are bringing in potential starters. WHICH IS IT?

My main point is that I think Whaley/Rex are bringing in other teams' backups because they are BETTER than what we have. And yes, they have had time to fully evaluate the QB situation.

Edited by maddenboy

I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to cut EJ now but you got to be kidding with Manuel having any kind of trade value. You couldn't get a 6th round pick for him right now. He has no trade value. With that being said I would keep until at least the first cuts of training camp. What does it hurt keeping him on the roster.

Well, that should be for the GM to figure out and not fickle fans. Charlie Whitehurst got trade for like a 2nd. Gabbert got traded.

If this source is indeed correct, he is hurting the Bills by leaking this. Again if Locker/ McCown/ Sanchez were here for their first 2 years, folks would have wanted them gone too. Now, they might be "the answers." Fans are funny.