Bills to meet with all but 2 QBs at Combine

elroy16

The two they aren't interviewing... Winston and Mariota.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/02/20/bills-to-meet-with-all-but-2-qbs-at-combine/

“We’re going to meet with all of them except for the top two,” said Whaley. “You’ve got to do your due diligence on all of them because you never know if you’ll be able to a get a guy or if all of them will be available and you’ve got to be able to rank them and go with the best.”

“That’s what we’re going to do, an exhaustive search with the quarterbacks just looking at these guys not only here at the Combine, but we’re going to send David Lee, the quarterbacks coach out to work those other guys out,” Whaley said. “That’s another avenue where we can add a guy. We can add two or one in free agency and one in the draft. But we’re going to try to get the best guys out there to help the Buffalo Bills win.”

I like how they're going after the QB position after 14 years of "Well... if the value is right we'll draft/sign a guy."

You think there's some gold available between Mannion, Hundley , Petty and company ?

I'm semi intrigued with Petty.

To be honest I don't know anything about the majority of these guys, I don't watch a lot of college football.

I'm just happy to see the FO do their due diligence and show a sense of urgency towards the QB position.

If I recall correctly, the Patriots have drafted more QB's (In the first round? First 3 rounds?) than the Bills have since Brady has been around. That's all I need to hear about how the Bills have handled the position recently.

Please, no Bryce Petty! They tried this already with Mike Mularkey.

I strongly disliked Petty's body language at the combine. He was either nervous, which isn't a good sign, or arrogant and egotistical. I believe he is the latter, and it's in a way that seems terrible for leadership in an NFL quarterback. Don't like it. Don't go there, Buffalo. Please

It simply doesn't make sense for the Bills to take a QB on or before round 3. We'll need to get players who coaches can look to contribute this year at their position (RB, OL). I don't see a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round being any farther along than Manuel. Starting QB will come via FA or trade.

From the sounds of it I do see them taking a QB at some point to give Manuel competition for a future starting job. That's a good thing.

EJ being the favorite to win the job is not the same thing as confidence.

They are not the same; however, It doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive either. Nobody on this board has any idea what Roman, Lee, and Palmer think of Manuel at this point. They may or may not have confidence in him. Either way, bringing in competition is always a good thing.

Mannion had good numbers with an OSU team that had no running game, a great WR, and no offensive line last year., OSU ran better this year and his WR's were not nearly as good.

He can make all the throws. He has size.

He is a pocket passer. He will be in the league for a while. Just don't know if his release and decision making is good enough top be a good to great player.