One of the Biggest Busts Ever?

Mark80

a career threatening injury can happen to anyone at anytime.

i think it's fair to say, clowney is out for 2015.

i doubt he will be a bust, but this injury, which hinders explosiveness, has probably derailed him from playing at a pro bowl level in the future.

Need to take with a grain of salt, but i heard Bill O'brien yesterday and he did not sound like he had any concern about him physically, but said he needed to mature emotionally from being a young man into being a man...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clowney's entire rep came from one tackle on YouTube. Once again the Texans bust a top pick.

And if memory serves me (i am too lazy to look it up), Spikes had a much better hit (or at least similar) on a better running back. I think the only difference was the fumble part.

Clowney had a great season in college, but then the following year, a combination of schemes used by the opposition and nagging injuries made him seem a lot more ordinary. It's too early to call him a bust, but he's already shown that he isn't the superman people thought he was in that junior year.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/serious_concern_over_jadeveon_clowneys_knee/18305291

Lots of pundits prior to the draft said that the Texans should steer clear of Clowney at #1 overall. How much do the Texans wish they would have taken Khalil Mack now all things considered?

Remember Greg Oden? Didn't even play a game before the NBAs #1 overall in 2007 had microfracture surgery and has only played about 100 games in his career. When he has played, he was obviously a shell of his old self.

Tough break Jadeveon, hope he can come back from it.

Since I've never heard of the two guys who they listed as recovering from it, I am seeing this as bad news?

The Texans should have taken a Quarterback or traded back and taken a Quarterback for my money. Would that have meant either a reach or shopping the #1 pick for historically low compensation? Probably, but they were a team with defensive talent and Arian Foster. That their 2013 season fell apart was not a true reflection of the team but a reflection of their circumstances. They didn't have a franchise Quarterback, Fitzpatrick was their likely starter and they were unlikely to be drafting that high again this year. Take the Quarterback you think has the best shot to be your franchise guy, use Fitz as a placeholder, continue to build the D in later rounds around JJ Watt and run the ball lots with Foster. As it is Houston is the team probably most like Buffalo. A franchise QB away from competing. When they got a guy to play at a league average level for a couple of years in Matt Schaub they were a play-off team.

Fitzpatrick wasnt that bad, I thought. The run game was bad considering they were using a fairly old running back. I could see the Bills making the playoffs with Fitz...

they said the same about mario williams and look at him now. he'll never live up to his hype, just like luck will not. they were drafted so high and given so much. mario williams is perhaps the best DE in the league over the last 5 to 6 years. he is also one of the best defenders in the league over that span, with only a few guys joining the conversation. patrick peterson, jj watt, ko simpson, and thoguh i think he's overrated kuechly.

I'm sad for Clowney...

I hope he can overcome his injury issues because the AFC needs to man up and at least provide a challenge to New England* getting to the AFC Title game/Super Bowl every freaking year.

If they get past Baltimore they have a bye right to the Super Bowl. This needs to stop.

A bum knee is a tough break not an I told you so.....

And at some point obrien needs to chill on calling him out publicly while other nfl players say they feel for him as it may be career ending.

Where/when did O'Brien call him out? His college HC, Steve Spurrier, called him out daily but I have not really seen anything on O'Brien. In the modern era, negative comments from NFL coaches about player injury are rare if they exist at all.

Clowney was O'Brien's first draft pick as a HC. If anything, he is going to stick up for him.

I'm sad for Clowney...

I hope he can overcome his injury issues because the AFC needs to man up and at least provide a challenge to New England* getting to the AFC Title game/Super Bowl every freaking year.

If they get past Baltimore they have a bye right to the Super Bowl. This needs to stop.

You're more correct than you think. The Texans need to handle their division first. Beating the Colts will require a dominant pass rush. A healthy Clowney definitely makes the Texans' pass rush better.