Russell Wilson and the Seahawks negotiations (update:signed)

YoloinOhio

Does he deserve to be the highest paid player in the league? He's good, but.... If he goes to a bad team (read: one that isn't paying a ton of other good players and can afford him) - could he put a team on his back with a poor D and/or running game like Luck?

The Bills, Jets could not pay him, not sure who would do it. Browns?

I think he can. He has unique skills that would allow him to play better on crappy teams than guys who may be better than him on good teams.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, because of the great running game, and the defense. Are we to just assume that 600 passing attempts per season would result in elite QB numbers? I won't make that leap yet. Maybe we will see that when Lynch retires, and we will find out.,

Here is what someone posted elsewhere in response to the argument that Wilson is not "elite":

Most wins in 1st 3 seasons in NFL history.

#2 all-time in regular season passer rating.

#5 all-time in post season passer rating.

Tied with Payton Manning and Dan Marino as the only players in NFL history with 50 or more TD passes in 1st 2 seasons.

Peyton Manning and Dan Marino.

84 TD passes in his 1st 3 seasons. More than Tom Brady.

How many of those 84 TD passes did the defense or Marshawn Lynch throw?

Most playoff wins in last 3 seasons.

Most wins in last 3 seasons.

2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 Super Bowl victory.

11-1 against other Super Bowl QBs.

Here is what someone posted elsewhere in response to the argument that Wilson is not "elite":

Tied with Payton Manning and Dan Marino as the only players in NFL history with 50 or more TD passes in 1st 2 seasons.

How many qbs walk in and start on a team that's super bowl caliber with even average qb play? Couple that with staying healthy, coaches giving him leash instead of pulling him early and then our current easier to pass nfl and before you even get into his actual play you'd predict a lot of those stats as possible from even a good not great qb. The story on wilsons career will be written years 5-10, when he really takes on the load.

How many qbs walk in and start on a team that's super bowl caliber with even average qb play?

Funny, I thought the Seahawks were 7-9 the year before RW took over. Not many 7-9 teams are "Super Bowl caliber with even average QB play." Or is it possible that RW played a huge role in making them a Super Bowl caliber team?

All of that is very true. But he doesn't have to carry the team. He rarely plays from behind. As a result, he isn't put into bad spots and forced to throw.

The guy is good. I think the debate is how good. Personally, I don't think he is a guy that can carry a bad team and put them over the top. He has "won" games against Brees with less than 100 yards passing and "won" a game with 4 ints against Rodgers.

He is good but he is in the perfect situation. It would be stupid for Seattle or him to break up that partnership. But he isn't elite. His team is.

But he isn't elite. His team is.

Except that many of those are individual stats. How many non-elite QBs have thrown 84 TD passes in three years, much less their first three years in the league? And of course the Seahawks were never an elite team until they drafted RW. But I guess you think that's a coincidence.

Except that many of those are individual stats. How many non-elite QBs have thrown 84 TD passes in three years, much less their first three years in the league? And of course the Seahawks were never an elite team until they drafted RW. But I guess you think that's a coincidence.

Matt Stafford. Like I said, I think he's good. But he is in the perfect situation. He's not close to the same player in Jacksonville.

Also, Andy Dalton threw 80 tds in his first 3 seasons.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Which would be greater:

- Fans elation that we finally have a "franchise QB"!

- The anger that we traded 5 first round picks for a guy that everyone thought we were going to draft in the third!

:D:beer:

I've lost respect for Russell Wilson. Playing baseball, has a press conference to announce a divorce, wanting to be the top paid player.........hey Russell, yea it wasnt the best play call in the super bowl, but throw a better pass and coach up your receiver to expect a war zone with where the ball is being thrown.

For less total $$ and better cap #?

Why not do it?

From a player perspective what are they playing for any longer. You better be sure your giving it to a player with character, respect, and pride or you may end up with a player like Haynesworth who laid down in the feeble position.

i was hoping you would weigh in on the local pulse of this! Must be a lot of chicken littles in the Pacific NW right about now.

It's a roller coaster for them. One day they're in your face and the next they are rending their garments. This is just not a great sports town. They actually BRAG about being recent newcomers to football. Many of the diehards are almost longing for the days when the Seahawks were marginal just so they can have their team back. I used to enjoy going to games but then it just became a hassle. Do you know, the Jumbotron is used to tell those idiots to be quiet while the team's on offense? Never saw that in another stadium.

It's a roller coaster for them. One day they're in your face and the next they are rending their garments. This is just not a great sports town. They actually BRAG about being recent newcomers to football. Many of the diehards are almost longing for the days when the Seahawks were marginal just so they can have their team back. I used to enjoy going to games but then it just became a hassle. Do you know, the Jumbotron is used to tell those idiots to be quiet while the team's on offense? Never saw that in another stadium.

haha - when the Colts were in the Peyton Manning era they had a graphic on the jumbotron that said "shhhh Peyton at work" because all the bandwagon Indiana (don't know football) fans would scream while they were on offense and Manning would get pissed!

haha - when the Colts were in the Peyton Manning era they had a graphic on the jumbotron that said "shhhh Peyton at work" because all the bandwagon Indiana (don't know football) fans would scream while they were on offense and Manning would get pissed!

I personally can't wait for the bandwagon to come to town. Means you are winning.

I've lost respect for Russell Wilson. Playing baseball, has a press conference to announce a divorce, wanting to be the top paid player.........hey Russell, yea it wasnt the best play call in the super bowl, but throw a better pass and coach up your receiver to expect a war zone with where the ball is being thrown.

He was playing baseball in the off-season. It didn't affect football. Athletes do play other sports...football players play basketball, hockey players golf...I think every player want to be the top paid...wouldn't you?

He was playing baseball in the off-season. It didn't affect football. Athletes do play other sports...football players play basketball, hockey players golf...I think every player want to be the top paid...wouldn't you?

I think making average NFL pay and having a continuously successful team would be better than making the most money and getting frustrated your team isn't good. Easy for us to say, though.

I think making average NFL pay and having a continuously successful team would be better than making the most money and getting frustrated your team isn't good. Easy for us to say, though.

I'm not signing up for a pay cut. Count me in on maximizing your compensation.

How many qbs walk in and start on a team that's super bowl caliber with even average qb play? Couple that with staying healthy, coaches giving him leash instead of pulling him early and then our current easier to pass nfl and before you even get into his actual play you'd predict a lot of those stats as possible from even a good not great qb. The story on wilsons career will be written years 5-10, when he really takes on the load.

There was never a time where the coaches had to decide if they should pull him early because at no point was he flat our sucking. He wont that job right in Training Camp and never let go of it because he never struggled. He played well enough right from the start of his career for the coaches to hand him the job and never look back. So not sure why you say he had a longer leash, we don't really know what kind of leash he had because he earned the job and then always played good enough to keep it without question.

There was never a time where the coaches had to decide if they should pull him early because at no point was he flat our sucking. He wont that job right in Training Camp and never let go of it because he never struggled. He played well enough right from the start of his career for the coaches to hand him the job and never look back. So not sure why you say he had a longer leash, we don't really know what kind of leash he had because he earned the job and then always played good enough to keep it without question.

You must have missed the pundits questioning after not breaking 160 yards in any September game, having 2 games at about 50%, coming off a 3 int game to close the month. It wouldn't have been crazy for most coaches to look back to flynn. Heck we just watched it happen here last year. So yea, out of the gate he got a little bit of leash that not all 3rd rounders with a well paid vet backup would. It wasn't until mid season that he hit his stride.