Russell Wilson and the Seahawks negotiations (update:signed)

YoloinOhio

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting cloudy... Reportedly Seattle offered him Cam Newton money. He wants to be the highest paid player in the nfl. On radio they said franchising him might not be in the cards because they never want to give him that deal so it's just delaying the inevitable.

@ProFootballTalk: Russeill Wilson leaving the Seahawks in 2016 is a real possibility http://t.co/TZBWWvXxlP

you would still franchise him, to delay that inevitable.... thats the part that makes little sense to me.

personally I just cannot see them not franchising him. But, they were saying the cap hit for franchising a QB would be so high they may choose to draft one instead in the 1st Rd, and thinking that guy could have the same success in their system. They don't want to tie up cap in the qb. They have won the SB this way and Carroll thinks it works. They only pass the ball when needed. I don't know - seems really risky to me. Edited by YoloinOhio

personally I just cannot see them not franchising him. But, they were saying the cap hit for franchising a QB would be so high they may choose to draft one instead in the 1st Rd, and thinking that guy could have the same success in their system. They don't want to tie up cap in the qb. They have won the SB this way and Carroll thinks it works. They only pass the ball when needed. I don't know - seems really risky to me.

the cap hit for the tag, 18.5m

cams cap hits - 13m this year, 20m+ every other year.

it seems like an odd argument that they would give him cams deal but not tag him (and even possibly trade him under that tag at the very least)

Does he deserve to be the highest paid player in the league? He's good, but.... If he goes to a bad team (read: one that isn't paying a ton of other good players and can afford him) - could he put a team on his back with a poor D and/or running game like Luck?

The Bills, Jets could not pay him, not sure who would do it. Browns?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Queue the "Trade our entire Defense, Offense, Coaching Staff to Seattle for him now" crusade.

ill admit that i dont think hes best player in the league kind of good, but with roman at OC i bet we would be one of the better destinations for him to succeed. with marrone i wouldnt have advocated much, but with roman i would say he would be worth a pretty premier payment.

Does he deserve to be the highest paid player in the league? He's good, but.... If he goes to a bad team (read: one that isn't paying a ton of other good players and can afford him) - could he put a team on his back with a poor D and/or running game like Luck?

^^^This

I think he is being unreasonable.

Does he deserve to be the highest paid player in the league?

Considering his age, position and accomplishments...he might be.

Who is more valuable right now (other than Brady who has his deal and Luck who will get more $ than Wilson when it's his turn)?

It's fun to watch. Every year, Least Mode (the guy who's 2-for-7 inside the 5 for TD's, which is why Carroll opted to pass) plays hard to get and they throw money at him. He tells everyone to !@#$ off, more money. Meanwhile Russell Wilson, Mr. Nice Guy (and average QB at best) is ignored, still playing Nice Guy. While the ethically-challenged Pete Carroll, who'll throw his mom under the bus if he furthers his cause, is on a pedestal even higher than Lynch.

Since most of the "fans" here don't remember the name of the last coach before Carroll (Mora), never heard of Shaun Alexander or can't recall if it's "Krieg" or "Kreig" or "Craig"....its just fun to watch.

The Seahawks don't have an allegiance to Wilson. Unless he has an amazing year, or unless there's no-one else available, he'll be gone in 2016. The Seahawks made their bones on defense and just enough offense, plus a whole lotta luck. It won't last.

Fun fun fun!

Edited by blzrul

If they put their money together, I don't see why they couldn't figure out a way to share him.

It's fun to watch. Every year, Least Mode (the guy who's 2-for-7 inside the 5 for TD's, which is why Carroll opted to pass) plays hard to get and they throw money at him. He tells everyone to !@#$ off, more money. Meanwhile Russell Wilson, Mr. Nice Guy (and average QB at best) is ignored, still playing Nice Guy. While the ethically-challenged Pete Carroll, who'll throw his mom under the bus if he furthers his cause, is on a pedestal even higher than Lynch.

Since most of the "fans" here don't remember the name of the last coach before Carroll (Mora), never heard of Shaun Alexander or can't recall if it's "Krieg" or "Kreig" or "Craig"....its just fun to watch.

The Seahawks don't have an allegiance to Wilson. Unless he has an amazing year, or unless there's no-one else available, he'll be gone in 2016. The Seahawks made their bones on defense and just enough offense, plus a whole lotta luck. It won't last.

Fun fun fun!

i was hoping you would weigh in on the local pulse of this! Must be a lot of chicken littles in the Pacific NW right about now.

i was hoping you would weigh in on the local pulse of this! Must be a lot of chicken littles in the Pacific NW right about now.

I'm betting most are treating it as business as usual in these negotiations. Overwhelming odds are he's going nowhere despite my willingness to discuss the what ifs