Little League World Series Champs cheated - Title taken away

peterpan

I guess they had some players who lived in the Chicago suburbs, which is outside of the limits to play for that specific team. Doesn't seam like a big deal to me, but it is cheating, and their title was taken away.

I have never been a baseball fan but they do take the integrity of the game very seriously. Even in the MLB. Too bad the NFL would never have the balls to do something like this. I think the Pats*** really need to be dealt with harshly. Otherwise, every team should try their best to cheat their way to victories and just deal with the wrist slap later.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-whistleblower-who-reported-little-league-teams-blatant-cheating/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17

I don't know the facts but if they did pull kids from neighboring areas....especially if those are elite LL level players....this is total BS. They stack a team (all you need are a few elite arms at the LL level) and maul everyone. It's completely unfair. Other teams have been stripped of titles in the past. The '12' year old from NY not too long ago.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Almonte

I'd imagine the LL did a lot of due diligence before making a decision that embarrass the entire organization. Mostly, I feel bad for those kids. The adults, if they truly did this with intent, are idiots.

see what happens when adults get involved in kids games....I kind of always wondered about Philly's own Tanney Dragons...I had to search long and hard for a place in Philly called Tanney....it wouldn't shock me to know they pulled from w. philly/u city/northeast etc...

the overwhelming "need to win"

Which is pretty pathetic when it's Little League Baseball. Imagine the giant gaping hole that must exist in the lives of the coaches who need to do this. It's so important for a bunch of kids to win you'd sacrifice your integrity to do so. Ouch.

Which is pretty pathetic when it's Little League Baseball. Imagine the giant gaping hole that must exist in the lives of the coaches who need to do this. It's so important for a bunch of kids to win you'd sacrifice your integrity to do so. Ouch.

i imagine when playing at a "world champion" level, its a little easier to get swept up than just having fun with the average group of kids.

not excusing it or saying its awesome adult role models, but i could see when you are talking about repping the US to play overseas teams its a little easier to forget that it should be about learning the basics and having fun and you might be tempted to grab a kid that is a couple miles to far away to toss the ball in your rotation.

Edited by NoSaint

You obviously haven't spent a lot of time around kids sports. Many coaches treat it like they are coaching professionally instead of teaching the kids, and parents are far worse than any coaches.

the team cheated pure and simple. they don't deny it.

their argument is, if the team was white, nobody would have checked an eligibility complaint against them, therefore racist.......which is preposterous.

Yeah listening to some of the Chicago people talking I knew they were going to turn this into a race thing. Like you said preposterous. My son plays is 11 & plays travel baseball & the eligable teams that contend in the LLWS there are strict guidelines that zone each district & if a kid does not live in said district he can not play for that team if you want to enter this tournament. No different then a public HS baseball team from Lancaster illegally zoning a kid from Elma for the purpose of them playing on their team. As history has taught us if caught they would have to forfeit their wins that year. Same thing. To call the race card on this is ridiculous. The parents/director knew what they were doing, they cheated every team they beat in this tournament & got what they deserved. Plain & simple.

You might be surprised, but my 15 year old son, who plays baseball at a pretty high level, takes the LLWS pretty seriously. As do his friends in travel ball. He tapes the games and everything, although he's an easy-going fan.

The thing people should realize about little league is that if you play travel ball (like most of the best 12-13 year old players), you ain't playing little league. 12-13 year olds almost always play on fields with 50'-52' mound-to-plate distances and with 75 yards between the bases. They move up to 60-90 the next year. Little League is 46-60 and the teams have to be intramural league all star teams. So many of the better players who play travel ball are disqualified (to my son's regret - he started playing travel ball at age 8, as did all of the best players in his intramural league).

You obviously haven't spent a lot of time around kids sports. Many coaches treat it like they are coaching professionally instead of teaching the kids, and parents are far worse than any coaches.

I have a 10 year old who competes in baseball, track and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and you're right, many of the parents are crazy. Thankfully I haven't encountered any coaches who put winning before all else. I'd pull my kid off the field/track/mats if I did.