Kane and Incognito, a sign of things to come?

KDIGGZ

The Bills went out on a limb and signed arguably one of the most hated players in the league when they picked up Richie Incognito. Rex wanted him so Terry and Kim met with him and gave him their seal of approval. Miraculously, he's a changed man they concluded from their sit down with him. There have been rumors that equally hated RB Ray Rice might be next as he shares strong ties with the Pegula's from their sports agency.

Mere days later, Terry and Kim's other team pulled off a blockbuster trade giving away the only valuable players left on the Sabres for another troubled player, Evander Kane. From trouble with fans, coaches, and teammates, the guy was basically run out of Winnipeg. Terry and Kim welcomed him with open arms and said that he just needed a fresh start.

So my question is, are Terry and Kim just naive? Or are they on to something? Is Buffalo going to be a destination for troubled players from around the league? Or are they just asking for trouble?

Edited by kdiggz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an insult to compare Kane to Incognitio. Incognitio is probably in jail if there isn't football and is in his 30s. Kane likes to party and does immature stuff at 23.

true, there are varying levels of indiscretion here. but some might say Richie, although a bad person, was well liked by his coaches and teammates. meanwhile, Kane just seemed like a bad apple and didn't get along with anyone. but in both cases, the Pegula's talked with the player and gave the ok to move forward. I wonder if the Incognito signing gave them a precedent to say it's ok to take a risk on these guys and we are going to be an organization that gives people second chances. i wonder if this will be the case going forward as we know there are no shortage of players with baggage in pro sports

true, there are varying levels of indiscretion here. but some might say Richie, although a bad person, was well liked by his coaches and teammates. meanwhile, Kane just seemed like a bad apple and didn't get along with anyone. but in both cases, the Pegula's talked with the player and gave the ok to move forward. I wonder if the Incognito signing gave them a precedent to say it's ok to take a risk on these guys and we are going to be an organization that gives people second chances. i wonder if this will be the case going forward as we know there are no shortage of players with baggage in pro sports

Point take. I think Kane is a superstar talent who is young and rich who needs to grow up. I think Incognito has been a POS his whole life but a one year deal after missing 1 year and half is fair.

I think everything needs to be a case by case basis. I might be in the minority but I hate rooting for scumbags. I think there is enough good players who aren't crappy people to get on your time. I don't want to root for guys like Rice or Vick. I'm not going to root for RI this year but IMO, he is on a different level than Rice or Vick. And Kane just needs to grow up. Case by case basis.

Point take. I think Kane is a superstar talent who is young and rich who needs to grow up. I think Incognito has been a POS his whole life but a one year deal after missing 1 year and half is fair.

I think everything needs to be a case by case basis. I might be in the minority but I hate rooting for scumbags. I think there is enough good players who aren't crappy people to get on your time. I don't want to root for guys like Rice or Vick. I'm not going to root for RI this year but IMO, he is on a different level than Rice or Vick. And Kane just needs to grow up. Case by case basis.

I agree, I don't like rooting for scumbags either. I think back to the great teams that Polian assembled and how he always weighed the person's character with the talent. He wanted to create a locker room of good guys that were close and wanted to win for each other. If you ask any of the former Bills greats, they will tell you that they were great because they wanted to be great for one another. They wanted to win for Marv, they wanted to win for the guy next to them. They were all best friends and continue to be to this day. I know there are great teams that were full of scumbags too (Cowboys, Raiders, etc) but I much prefer Polian's point of view on the matter

Edited by kdiggz

The Bills went out on a limb and signed arguably one of the most hated players in the league when they picked up Richie Incognito. Rex wanted him so Terry and Kim met with him and gave him their seal of approval. Miraculously, he's a changed man they concluded from their sit down with him. There have been rumors that equally hated RB Ray Rice might be next as he shares strong ties with the Pegula's from their sports agency.

Mere days later, Terry and Kim's other team pulled off a blockbuster trade giving away the only valuable players left on the Sabres for another troubled player, Evander Kane. From trouble with fans, coaches, and teammates, the guy was basically run out of Winnipeg. Terry and Kim welcomed him with open arms and said that he just needed a fresh start.

So my question is, are Terry and Kim just naive? Or are they on to something? Is Buffalo going to be a destination for troubled players from around the league? Or are they just asking for trouble?

One has nothing to do with the other, 2 totally different situations. I get it, naive people will start to think there is a trend, but they couldn't be further from the truth...

Edited by ricojes

What did evander Kane do? I've heard something about being late to practice and a track suit - assuming there is more?

Were his transgressions worse than Patrick Kane's at that age?

Kane didn't do anything that wrong. He's not a scumbag. He needed a change of venue.

As for the OP's question about these two acquisitions signalling a trend, you're overthinking it. It's a coincidence.

Kane going from "healthy-scratch" discipline to "outa'-here" in a week says he's a whole new level of diva. I'm sure the Leafs are liking the potential that someone else besides them will set the low bar for lack of team cohesion.

Kane played through a broken bone in his foot and then a broken bone in his hand this year all the while never knowing when his shoulder would pop out of joint on any given night (twice in a period against Philly alone). That's as far away from diva as one can get.

Edited by K-9

It does seem a little that the Pegulas like to find the good in people. Naive? Maybe. Or maybe just an approach to life that they like.

Hopefully when it backfires on them, which is bound to happen from time to time, they acknowledge the mistake quickly.

I'm not the least bit worried about Incognito. I think that was calculated risk and we came out way ahead. I have no problem taking a guy with potentially massive upside who has no choice but to walk on egg shells. This wasn't like before. He knows his NFL career is over if he has any semblance of a screw up. I also think he's a locker room leader. Pricks, especially in football, can often times take on leadership roles (Big Ben). People who played with him do not share the same opinion of him as the rest of the general population. I also don't think he's as hideous as he's made out to be, to go back to Big Ben, you want to talk about a SOB? Try Rape and dozens of accounts of sexually aggressive exploits. Nobody discusses him in the same way as Incognito. Hell, Ray Lewis got away with murder and now he's revered as a saint (thank you jesus, thank you jesus, thank you jesus).

For those that don't know some of the things Kane did, here is some more info:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a-timeline-of-kanes-indiscretions-with-jets/

Basically he was a diva and his attitude irked his coaches, his teammates, and the fans. Chalk it up to being young and immature or maybe that's just who he is and do you want a guy like that on your team that's a bad influence on the younger guys.

And they can easily give the OK to move on from the player if they don;t pan out. Risk is risk and if you don't take any, you tend to stagnate.

Edited by mabden

Both great moves. I'm a Pens fan and think the Sabers did a terrific thing by getting Kane. When the dudes head is on straight he has the potential to be the best forward in the NHL. He is only 23, wayyy to early to give up on him. Other young, immature players have come back to have successful careers. Hopefully the Bills get AP next at RB.