Speaking of Incognito .... Jonathan Martin update!

Many of us remember that there was a lot of talk that might end up drafting Incognito's ex-teammate, Jonathan Martin in 2012. Instead we went with Cordy Glenn one pick before (thanks for that pick Buddy!). Now for the much awaited Jonathan Martin update--in case you missed the blockbuster story, he KO'ed a shoplifter at a Versace store:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/01/09/49ers-tackle-jonathan-martin-reportedly-stopped-a-man-from-shoplifting-versace-bag.

Let the jokes begin (for those with a sense of humor!) ....

This has lawsuit written all over it.

Excessive force in preventing a petty crime from being completed.

Mr. Martin, I hope you have a large bank account. From the details, it appears you will be paying a lot in court/ lawyer costs. Plus whatever the victim gets.

Brave act, totally uncalled for.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

Mr. Martin, I hope you have a large bank account. From the details, it appears you will be paying a lot in court/ lawyer costs. Plus whatever the victim gets.

Imo

. I think both of his parents are lawyers.

Imo

Don't disagree that the shoplifter could file a lawsuit, but without all of the facts it's hard to say whether Martins 5 to 8 punches to knock the guy out were excessive. For instance, when the shoplifter was confronted, did he also pose a physical threat to the stores security guard? I'm guessing it's going to be hard for the shoplifter to get much sympathy from a judge.

Don't disagree that the shoplifter could file a lawsuit, but without all of the facts it's hard to say whether Martins 5 to 8 punches to knock the guy out were excessive. For instance, when the shoplifter was confronted, did he also pose a physical threat to the stores security guard? I'm guessing it's going to be hard for the shoplifter to get much sympathy from a judge.

It's not the judge he needs to be concerned with. It's the jury... and this is Kalifornia we're talking about. He'll get taken for every last penny he has - including his Barbie Doll collection.

Imo

Multiple Versace bags isn't petty theft.

as with all of you, I don't know all the info on what happened..having said that, based on the info that I read, Martin is lucky he hasn't been sued yet by both the store and the perp....technically a theft hasnt occurred until the customer has left the establishment...and by the looks of the pic he sent, he took the guy down inside the doorway as he was leaving...I know I just wrote "as he was leaving", but he hadn't actually left yet...a person can actually walk into a store, pick up a food item and eat/drink it while walking around store, but if you don't pay for it before leaving, then you stole it...most retailers have enough cameras to catch ppl leaving and coming so physical altercations aren't necessary...When I worked at Wal-mart we weren't allowed to stop someone from leaving ...we were to watch then report so they could get camera shots and turn into the police...only once did I have to get physical with a customer, but that was because he jumped a manager and I had to help him...and even then all I did was to grab and hold the guy to the floor...the reason why most retailers don't want physical altercations is due to fear of being sued...it's cheaper to allow the theft to happen and hope they either try again or hope police can find them from just camera footage..

This reminds me of when I was a Junior in high school and a senior who was about my size made fun of me until I broke down crying in front of everyone and ran home. Everyone started calling me kitty boy so I beat up a skinny freshman with a limp to show them what's up.

#badlikeMichaelJackson

this story is weird. i read it when it was posted. two things are still funny to me. why did he and sherman swap jerseys? and why did he get involved beating this dude up?

save me the American Sniper sheep dog thing, this is just weird.