Attn Breaking Bad Fans: Better Call Saul begins Sun 2/8 10pm

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, so you weren't trolling? Or, is this another trolling attempt?

Get out of my head!

No, I actually did miss it. I was distracted at the end by...some bull **** for work, I don't know what (have a manager that creates emergencies at 10:30 at night.)

Unless...this post is trolling. Or my manager is trolling me, and by extension trolling you. Or maybe you're trolling me, and there was no such scene. Or just maybe Vince Gilligan is trolling all of us, and Mike was initially planning on watering the lawn, but by the end of the episode realized "I don't have a lawn, I live in !@#$ing Albuquerque."

I tend to think it's the second one...because who the hell needs an emergency status report at 11 at night?

No, I actually did miss it. I was distracted at the end by...some bull **** for work, I don't know what (have a manager that creates emergencies at 10:30 at night.)

Unless...this post is trolling. Or my manager is trolling me, and by extension trolling you. Or maybe you're trolling me, and there was no such scene. Or just maybe Vince Gilligan is trolling all of us, and Mike was initially planning on watering the lawn, but by the end of the episode realized "I don't have a lawn, I live in !@#$ing Albuquerque."

I tend to think it's the second one...because who the hell needs an emergency status report at 11 at night?

Now that is some highbrow comedy right there.

Lemme guess, Rebecca Black ringtone?

The boss at the bank that Kim was trying to take with her to her new firm, am I just remembering him from previous episodes or did he have a Breaking Bad role?

Previous episodes...or you've seen a lot of CSI Miami

The truck driver scene singing I thought was a nod to Gale Boetthicher or that scene was supposed to make you think of him.

Chuck is probably dying of brain hemorrhage and the people in the store will be late to call 911. Jimmy can't help him without being exposed to the fraud. He ends up being helpless and just watching him die.

I don't feel bad for Chuck at all. He kind of deserves it in the end.

That truck scene was pretty cool, seeing the hose snake across the road was awesome. The driver must have seen Mike's car. You saw how broken up Mike was that the 'good samaritan' was collateral damage in the whole thing. Kim Wexler in rolled up jeans with chuck taylor low tops? Yes please!!! She continues to sully her reputation too, she is fully aware the Jimmy did what Chuck claimed but as long as it benefits her, she seems to be willing to take it. Gonna be interesting to see if we saw Chucks demise there, he is too good of a character to lose this early on.

I do feel bad for Chuck, he seemed to walk the straight line, abide by the rules etc, sure he may have been uppity, but he does things the right way and constantly(allegedgly) sees his younger brother f*** up and still get ahead in the profession that he has worked so hard to be the best in. I feel really bad for him, but that said, I'd rather have Jimmy than Chuck

The truck driver scene singing I thought was a nod to Gale Boetthicher or that scene was supposed to make you think of him.

Chuck is probably dying of brain hemorrhage and the people in the store will be late to call 911. Jimmy can't help him without being exposed to the fraud. He ends up being helpless and just watching him die.

I don't feel bad for Chuck at all. He kind of deserves it in the end.

That truck scene was pretty cool, seeing the hose snake across the road was awesome. The driver must have seen Mike's car. You saw how broken up Mike was that the 'good samaritan' was collateral damage in the whole thing. Kim Wexler in rolled up jeans with chuck taylor low tops? Yes please!!! She continues to sully her reputation too, she is fully aware the Jimmy did what Chuck claimed but as long as it benefits her, she seems to be willing to take it. Gonna be interesting to see if we saw Chucks demise there, he is too good of a character to lose this early on.

I do feel bad for Chuck, he seemed to walk the straight line, abide by the rules etc, sure he may have been uppity, but he does things the right way and constantly(allegedgly) sees his younger brother f*** up and still get ahead in the profession that he has worked so hard to be the best in. I feel really bad for him, but that said, I'd rather have Jimmy than Chuck

Thought the scene in Chuck's house where Kim does realize what Jimmy did but at that moment chooses to defend him and tear Chuck a new a hole was awesome

Thought the scene in Chuck's house where Kim does realize what Jimmy did but at that moment chooses to defend him and tear Chuck a new a hole was awesome

lol She knew it was him as soon as she heard the plan. What an awesome show.

As much as Chuck has some sympathetic qualities as a character, I can't get over how he totally screwed Jimmy over. Don't forget, Jimmy worked his ass off in the mail room, earned his degree legitimately, and brought in the Sandpiper case before Chuck arranged to make sure Jimmy never got an office at HHM.

As much as Chuck has some sympathetic qualities as a character, I can't get over how he totally screwed Jimmy over. Don't forget, Jimmy worked his ass off in the mail room, earned his degree legitimately, and brought in the Sandpiper case before Chuck arranged to make sure Jimmy never got an office at HHM.

Chuck has a lot of sympathetic qualities. He's just portrayed as the antagonist. Think about a series that, instead of being centered around Jimmy becoming Saul, was centered on Chuck trying to prevent "giving a chimp a machine gun," in an increasingly futile struggle to prevent the inevitable. Chuck should be the most sympathetic character, since he's the Cassandra archetype: the only one that can clearly see what's coming, but no one listens to him (hell, he's even confined to his own space and isolated from everyone else, both physically and intellectually - how much more "Cassandra" can you get?)

It's really easy to present any of these characters as sympathetic or disagreeable. (Case in point: Kim defending Jimmy by pointing out Chuck always tried to sabotage him - accurate, reasonable criticism, but she's expressing it in a context of enabling Jimmy's fraud and forgery. Another case in point: Howard Hamlin acting like an !@#$ the entire first season, until we find out that he's actually not, but merely trying to satisfy Chuck's wishes w/r/t Jimmy. And then of course Jimmy, as James McGill attorney at law, is always doing the wrong thing for the right reason - or at least to right an injustice, real or perceived.)

On a largely different note: I don't get what Mike is doing. I simply don't. He gets paid to send Tuco to prison, takes another payout to reduce Tuco's sentence, plays a dangerous negotiating game with the guy whose assassins are threatening his family to do so, THEN rips off that same guy to the tune of a quarter-million. Now, in the finale, it looks like he's going to go all Carlos Hathcock on somebody. He keeps escalating a situation that I don't see that he needs to escalate. His actions aren't making a whole lot of sense to me.

Chuck has a lot of sympathetic qualities. He's just portrayed as the antagonist. Think about a series that, instead of being centered around Jimmy becoming Saul, was centered on Chuck trying to prevent "giving a chimp a machine gun," in an increasingly futile struggle to prevent the inevitable. Chuck should be the most sympathetic character, since he's the Cassandra archetype: the only one that can clearly see what's coming, but no one listens to him (hell, he's even confined to his own space and isolated from everyone else, both physically and intellectually - how much more "Cassandra" can you get?)

It's really easy to present any of these characters as sympathetic or disagreeable. (Case in point: Kim defending Jimmy by pointing out Chuck always tried to sabotage him - accurate, reasonable criticism, but she's expressing it in a context of enabling Jimmy's fraud and forgery. Another case in point: Howard Hamlin acting like an !@#$ the entire first season, until we find out that he's actually not, but merely trying to satisfy Chuck's wishes w/r/t Jimmy. And then of course Jimmy, as James McGill attorney at law, is always doing the wrong thing for the right reason - or at least to right an injustice, real or perceived.)

On a largely different note: I don't get what Mike is doing. I simply don't. He gets paid to send Tuco to prison, takes another payout to reduce Tuco's sentence, plays a dangerous negotiating game with the guy whose assassins are threatening his family to do so, THEN rips off that same guy to the tune of a quarter-million. Now, in the finale, it looks like he's going to go all Carlos Hathcock on somebody. He keeps escalating a situation that I don't see that he needs to escalate. His actions aren't making a whole lot of sense to me.

At the end of the first season I thought that Chuck's character was going to evolve to reveal one of the most cold hearted, despicable villains in TV history. But lo and behold he was made much more nuanced - with both sympathetic and disagreeable traits as you say. Similar to the way Howard can seamlessly go from doosh to decent guy (I think they guy who plays Howard is brilliant). Heck, even Nacho is likable at times.

Edited by stevewin