It's NSD!Where 1st rd picks of last 5 yrs rated out of HS

YoloinOhio

For CFB fans this is a big day - the first day CFB programs can officially sign their 2015 recruiting classes to a NLOI. CFB fans stress about how high their school's class will rank and how many 4 and 5 star recruits are in the class. This article is pretty cool - shows the last 5 1st round nfl draft classes and where those guys ranked coming out of HS. While there are some obvious 5 stars and top 100s I think it's crazy how random it is at this point in their football careers. Seattle had no 5 star recruits on its SB roster. JJ Watt was a 2 star walk on at Wisconsin and is the best def player in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000467934/article/where-firstround-picks-of-last-five-years-rated-out-of-high-school

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so basically scouts have no idea what they are talking about

IMO the rating system is over hyped. Cfb fans wringing their hands over 5 star recruits today and it's the 2 and 3 stars that can end up being the most impactful. Not only in college (so many come to mind just at OSU and 5 stars who did nothing) but in the NFL it is even more pronounced. It rolls over to the draft. The combine numbers of guys like Chris Matthews and Malcolm Butler were tweeted out after the SB and you can see why they weren't drafted. But some things are hard to "measure." Edited by YoloinOhio

or when judging a kid for college there are different attributes than pro

and from 17 to 22 A LOT can happen physically, mentally, and just plain luck (good or bad)

IMO the rating system is over hyped. Cfb fans wringing their hands over 5 star recruits today and it's the 2 and 3 stars that can end up being the most impactful. Not only in college (so many come to mind just at OSU and 5 stars who did nothing) but in the NFL it is even more pronounced. It rolls over to the draft. The combine numbers of guys like Chris Matthews and Malcolm Butler were tweeted out after the SB and you can see why they weren't drafted. But some things are hard to "measure."

butler and matthews havent proven much yet. they have a long way to go before either is a week in and week out impact player, and thats in part due to their measurables.

For CFB fans this is a big day - the first day CFB programs can officially sign their 2015 recruiting classes to a NLOI. CFB fans stress about how high their school's class will rank and how many 4 and 5 star recruits are in the class. This article is pretty cool - shows the last 5 1st round nfl draft classes and where those guys ranked coming out of HS. While there are some obvious 5 stars and top 100s I think it's crazy how random it is at this point in their football careers. Seattle had no 5 star recruits on its SB roster. JJ Watt was a 2 star walk on at Wisconsin and is the best def player in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000467934/article/where-firstround-picks-of-last-five-years-rated-out-of-high-school

The Bucks are having a pretty good day. If they can hang on to Weber and lock up Prince it would be considered a success IMO. I was nervous about Gibson.

The Bucks are having a pretty good day. If they can hang on to Weber and lock up Prince it would be considered a success IMO. I was nervous about Gibson.

Weber is very important for RB depth. I have a feeling he flips to UM, which will suck for him. Lol. I feel better about Prince. Urban is a rock star.

Also, Malzahn is killing it.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Weber is very important for RB depth. I have a feeling he flips to UM, which will suck for him. Lol. I feel better about Prince. Urban is a rock star.

Also, Malzahn is killing it.

Auburn is so shady. They have a bad reputation for ethics around the SEC (which is saying something).

I think that Weber sticks based on the stuff out there this morning but it keeps moving. Urban already has locked up that stud RB from NJ next year. They will be fine.

Auburn is so shady. They have a bad reputation for ethics around the SEC (which is saying something).

I think that Weber sticks based on the stuff out there this morning but it keeps moving. Urban already has locked up that stud RB from NJ next year. They will be fine.

i forgot about that guy. Whew.

Bills who were top 20 recruits:

Bryce Brown (#1 overall)

Robert Woods

Seantrel Henderson

Nigel Bradham

I was just browsing the ESPN top 300 over the past 10 years to see how many guys panned out. I probably scanned quick the top 30-40 each year and was surprised at how many Bills were there. Also, not mentioned in your post, on the list were Gilmore (18), Watkins (39), Cyrus Kouandjio (3). Didn't notice Bradham though, must have missed him or he fell just below how far I went on ESPN.

Edited by Mark80

No HS kid in the country has NFL skills. So you're trying to guess who will develop the talent and who won't. It's awfully speculative.

Anyway, HS kids are ranked on their college potential, not their pro potential. Looking back, therefore, I'd give Johnny Manziel a 5 star rating as a HS kid for his college potential - but a 1 star rating for NFL potential. They're not the same.

Got both. Plus KJ Hill. Round 1 of Urban-Harbaugh goes to the good guys with Weber.

They accomplished just about everything that they hoped for. Gustin is really the only guy that they had a good shot at that they lost and didn't replace. A really good 2015 class will be followed by an amazing 2016 class (if the start is any indication). Urban is a monster. Harbaugh will recruit and have them back competing but they are going to be a few years behind for sure based on what OSU has on the roster and coming in.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

My bosses kid was flown to Clemson (though it's a 4 hour drive), among other ACC and SEC schools. None of them that outstanding. He had some looks from Oregon and probably could have had a chance there. Is choosing UNC-Charlotte because of academics. A RB, 5'9, 204, runs a 4.42 and benches 215 19 times. Another kid up the road at a local school is a DT going to Tenn... Shy Tuttle. Goes to North Davidson - he choose Tenn last year. A few friends taught him. I haven't seen any other news around here but there is some decent kids in the area going some places.

UNCC is supposed to be having a very good recruiting class.

Edited by jboyst62

They accomplished just about everything that they hoped for. Gustin is really the only guy that they had a good shot at that they lost and didn't replace. A really good 2015 class will be followed by an amazing 2016 class (if the start is any indication). Urban is a monster. Harbaugh will recruit and have them back competing but they are going to be a few years behind for sure based on what OSU has on the roster and coming in.

next year's Gustin is Nick Bosa.

Harbaugh was very behind. Should have a pretty good class next year.