It's NSD!Where 1st rd picks of last 5 yrs rated out of HS

YoloinOhio

The sad part of today is UB, who hosted events and held media coverage. Their top recruit was the 82nd best RB in the nation. They got a 2 star QB and there are very positive reports about it, even though only Eastern and Central Michigan made offers.

I love UB, and root very hard for them, but it's hard to watch them constantly act like a big school without any big actions.

i think they are starting to get on the map. I really like the HC hire. It will take a couple years. That guy can recruit and develop and his track record is unreal.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think they are starting to get on the map. I really like the HC hire. It will take a couple years. That guy can recruit and develop and his track record is unreal.

His track record really is unreal, but it also really is not at a D1 program. I'm still excited for this year, but it boggles my mind how horrible a University with that kind of money and ESPN exposure can be at recruiting.

I disagree that they're starting to get on the map. If you look at their 07-09 recruiting classes, they had many more ranked players. There was one season with multiple 3 star recruits, which to me should be an absolute minimum to be competitive.

Edited by fridge

My point is this: A guy like Fred Jackson was not even scouted out of high school. If it wasn't for his perseverance and positive attitude he would have just said "oh I guess I'm not good enough to play college ball let alone go pro" and then he wouldn't have become who he is today. How many guys are these scouts missing out on? I know a lot of guys that were really good growing up that just gave up as teenagers because they didn't get any "hype" so they didn't think they had what it took to go to the next level. I think everyone puts way too much value in what these scouts/coaches/etc rank you.

I was a good baseball player but I wasn't "scouted" outside of my hometown so I never did anything with it. So because of that experience I knew that for my brother to get any attention he needed to play in front of as many people as possible, not just locally. So he played in multiple travel leagues all over the US and ended up getting a full D1 scholarship. So I take it kind of personal because I'm just as good if not better than him but I didn't catch the right scouts attention apparently. My brother didn't go pro but a lot of his friends did (and he went to school for free) so the difference from just being a good local player to being a professional athlete isn't as big of a gap as you might expect. It takes skill obviously but you also have to catch the right people's attention and not all of these guys know what they are looking for. It's a crapshoot. There are probably more 5-star recruits working in retail and fast food than there are in the NFL. And on the opposite end, there are plenty of examples of people that were walk-ons or undrafted that are stars now.

So it's not an exact science. These guys are wrong more than they are right. Even when it comes to the NFL draft, look how many late round draft picks the Seahawks and Pats had. There is arguably more talent in the later rounds (Brady 6th round, Wilson 3rd round, Richard Sherman 5th round).

So the moral of the story is I don't put a lot of value in what these scouts say.

Scouts miss less and less now than ever before. Information and word gets out so much quicker (not to mention social media). 10-20 years ago lots of guys flew under the radar. They are fewer and further between now. Khalil Mack is obviously an example of an under the radar guy but Clowney was the top recruit in the country. It isn't an exact science but scouts "miss" now more than ever before and it's because they are exposed to so much more information than ever before.

His track record really is unreal, but it also really is not at a D1 program. I'm still excited for this year, but it boggles my mind how horrible a University with that kind of money and ESPN exposure can be at recruiting.

I disagree that they're starting to get on the map. If you look at their 07-09 recruiting classes, they had many more ranked players. There was one season with multiple 3 star recruits, which to me should be an absolute minimum to be competitive.

They have the right coach in place IMO. Jim Tressel didn't come from D1 and neither did Chip Kelly. If I guy knows how to build a winning program, he knows how to build a winning program. It will take a few years to ramp up their recruiting but UB is on the rise. They will never be Alabama but I wouldn't be shocked at all if they were at a level like a Central Florida.

TJ Wheatley (Tyrone's son) from Canisius HS is committed to Meeechigan. No surprise. Harbaugh picked up a couple 4 stars late.

I think that really caring what 17 year old kids are going to do is bizarre. The media making a spectacle of these kids is flat out embarrassing.

They aren't 17 unless they skipped a grade or 2. Many of them will be playing on a team in a few months that the fans follow very closely, in some ways it is similar to draft day in the NFL, but the players get to choose where they go.

You think this is over the top?

Adam Gorney @adamgorney 12m12 minutes ago

Five-star Iman Marshall has announced for #USC in a pre-released music video on Bleacher Report #RivalsNSD

:lol:

Edited by YoloinOhio

If they could put on a bills hat you'd be frothing hitting f5 all day long

Probably true.

I just have a hard time getting into college football. Between the fact that these are kids and I think it's unhealthy to put kids on a pedestal like that and the fact that college football is corrupt it's hard for me to get excited.

I totally acknowledge that's not a norm position and probably just me being old tho.

Probably true.

I just have a hard time getting into college football. Between the fact that these are kids and I think it's unhealthy to put kids on a pedestal like that and the fact that college football is corrupt it's hard for me to get excited.

I totally acknowledge that's not a norm position and probably just me being old tho.

I think CFB is extremely popular in some regions and not at all in others. If you aren't a fan of a team or the sport In general it makes sense to have that perspective. Fwiw I think the "hat dance" is stupid too but the kids like it. It can make them appear like they are entitled but in actuality many of them act more mature than some nfl players.