Crazy idea that could work

What if we let Hughes walk, then sign J Huston AND Revis to huge deals. We could give them both 13-15m.then just draft for offence the next 2 years.

Rex would have a wet dream. Think about it Revis and Gilmore take out every teams top 2 wr's. Then we can blitz on every play.

If we draft half way decent, we could get our offence to average 17-20 ppg. With that Defence,that would probably be enough to win 11-12 games. Its bold but I really like it.

And next year we restructure Mario's contract and still sign Dareus.

Not saying they would do it, but if they did what would your feelings be?

Ii also think J Huston and Revis would love to play with this Defence and make top dollar. They could prob get mega deals elsewhere, but on crappy teams. Buffalo has a Buzz right now. If they can't find a good qb(and i believe their are nun available) then have the best Defence in the league. And talk about pegula making a splash. We would be the talk of the league. I can hear Cowhurd talking about us already.

Edited by Franchiseneedsme

Houston, sure.

Revis, notsomuch. I've been swayed by many articles and arguments that the "shutdown corner" is a thing of the past. Based on so many 3, 4, 5 wr sets. The idea that one guy can shut down one side of the field is kind of dead. Also, along that line of thinking is the corollary that you shouldnt pay a corner like a shutdown guy, because even if he's that good, you really dont need that.

And i am led to understand that Rexy's defense needs a shutdown guy to make it work, so he can blitz all day. But he needs to adjust a little. Too much talent on this D to "need" to blitz all day.

What if we let Hughes walk, then sign J Huston AND Revis to huge deals. We could give them both 13-15m.then just draft for offence the next 2 years.

Rex would have a wet dream. Think about it Revis and Gilmore take out every teams top 2 wr's. Then we can blitz on every play.

If we draft half way decent, we could get our offence to average 17-20 ppg. With that Defence,that would probably be enough to win 11-12 games. Its bold but I really like it.

And next year we restructure Mario's contract and still sign Dareus.

Not saying they would do it, but if they did what would your feelings be?

Ii also think J Huston and Revis would love to play with this Defence and make top dollar. They could prob get mega deals elsewhere, but on crappy teams. Buffalo has a Buzz right now. If they can't find a good qb(and i believe their are nun available) then have the best Defence in the league. And talk about pegula making a splash. We would be the talk of the league. I can hear Cowhurd talking about us already.

I am fine with letting Hughes go if we sign two top tier players. Or sign Hughes and sign another top tier player. We have the opportunity to bring in two players. I think we will see a lot in the first couple of days of FA and who we target with the cap room and roster we have. It should be interesting. It could be so many different positions we target. I do think for sure if we sign two top tier guys one will be a player on D.

The DB situation is fine. This team needs Hughes, a TE, a guard, and a RB in FA. The draft another TE, DB, two QB's, and a DE. Then bring back Spikes.

I volunteer to pack for CJ.

I'm much closer to your way of thinking. I think resign Hughes, 2 TEs, 2 QBs, 2 guards in FA. Draft RB, QB, DE, LB. Spikes coming back would be fine, but it has to be for ~ 3M.

TE is so far down the list I can't believe it's getting play & defense is the least of the team's problems. O-line should be the first and almost singular focus IMO; a second tier QB will also be brought in.

Forget the shiny stuff and fix the o-line.

Houston, sure.

Revis, notsomuch. I've been swayed by many articles and arguments that the "shutdown corner" is a thing of the past. Based on so many 3, 4, 5 wr sets. The idea that one guy can shut down one side of the field is kind of dead. Also, along that line of thinking is the corollary that you shouldnt pay a corner like a shutdown guy, because even if he's that good, you really dont need that.

And i am led to understand that Rexy's defense needs a shutdown guy to make it work, so he can blitz all day. But he needs to adjust a little. Too much talent on this D to "need" to blitz all day.

Guess it's just highly coincidental that the two best "shutdown" CBs are playing for the big prize today, huh?

I love the idea of Revis on a 2 or 3 year deal for big bucks. I don't think we really have a need to break the bank on Houston though. If you are blitzing that much you don't need 3 or 4 elite pass rushers, Marcel and Mario would suffice on the elite level (plus a cheaper Hughes would be ideal) and then a few "average" guys and we'd tear it up. Kyle still has some life in him too and he's certainly not "average" either.

Edited by Mark80

Resign Hughes and Searcy and through some combo of FA and the draft, get us a QB, at least one G, a TE and a RB (assuming Spiller leaves) and we have a really good team. To state the obvious, QB will be the hardest spot to fill. We're going to need a little luck there.

I'm starting to think that they let Hughes walk (by offering something like $8M) and sign Revis with that money. It's just a feeling but the pass rush will be there either way in Rex's system. The Bills scouts (many of whom are still there) LOVED Revis coming out. I can't imagine that has changed.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think Hughes is going to price himself out of the Bills market. You can only spend so many $$ in one area of the team. Unless a team that signs him has a real good D-line around him, (which if they did, they'd have the same issues as the Bills would with paying him) likely by around November, whomever signs him to a big contract will be regretting it. I think one of the backups the Bills have could replace him with maybe a small drop off when he is playing next to the Williams brothers and Marcel, and an up and coming group of LB's behind them.

I'd prefer seeing them sign two guards, Yesterday the guy from Chicago was mentioned as not costing a fortune, sign him and either the guy from SF or Green Bay. Between Dixon, Brown, and Jackson, you have a good group at RB, but need the real star. Unless you can sign Demarco Murry or someone of that caliper, I'd rather take my chances in the draft. Put a good line out there and easy for a rookie to go for 1200 yards. Look at the 5th round pick from Washington 2 years ago.

So I'd sign in FA two guard/center, a QB, bring back Spikes,, sign a tall WR, I hear Mike Williams may be available, some mid level depth in the secondary, if you can find a real good TE, great if not draft one. I'd then use my second and third round draft picks on RB and QB in no particular order.

The DB situation is fine. This team needs Hughes, a TE, a guard, and a RB in FA. The draft another TE, DB, two QB's, and a DE. Then bring back Spikes.

I volunteer to pack for CJ.

Yes! I think it's more of a fact that the two teams have very good to great defenses around him. Would the team be better with Revis than without, sure, but I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. The last 5 or 6 games of the season, one could argue the Bills had a shutdown secondary, that to me is a better situation.

Guess it's just highly coincidental that the two best "shutdown" CBs are playing for the big prize today, huh?

I love the idea of Revis on a 2 or 3 year deal for big bucks. I don't think we really have a need to break the bank on Houston though. If you are blitzing that much you don't need 3 or 4 elite pass rushers, Marcel and Mario would suffice on the elite level (plus a cheaper Hughes would be ideal) and then a few "average" guys and we'd tear it up. Kyle still has some life in him too and he's certainly not "average" either.

Yes! I think it's more of a fact that the two teams have very good to great defenses around him. Would the team be better with Revis than without, sure, but I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. The last 5 or 6 games of the season, one could argue the Bills had a shutdown secondary, that to me is a better situation.

Chicken or Egg? That's the question.

Edited by Mark80

I'm starting to think that they let Hughes walk (by offering something like $8M) and sign Revis with that money. It's just s feeling but the pass rush will be there either way in Rex's system. The Bills scouts (many of whom are still there) LOVED Revis coming out. I can't imagine that has changed.

I think I'm with you. This off season, the stars are kind of aligning...we need to address the OL it happens that one of the top guards are going to be available. Also the draft is full of players like Hughes...as well as free agency. The defensive scheme will create presure, having an additional CB like Revis will make us even better.

So I'd sign Revis and release McKelvin, I think Gilmore and Revis become the best starting duo in the league, with Graham as the Nickel back.

I would restructure Mario, sign Revis, Iupati and McPhee then work RB and TE in the draft, with an additional QB in there.

Edited by frogger

I think I'm with you. This off season, the stars are kind of aligning...we need to address the OL it happens that one of the top guards are going to be available. Also the draft is full of players like Hughes...as well as free agency. The defensive scheme will create presure, having an additional CB like Revis will make us even better.

So I'd sign Revis and release McKelvin, I think Gilmore and Revis become the best starting duo in the league, with Graham as the Nickel back.

I will restructure Mario, sign Revis and McPhee then work OL, TE and RB in draft

It's amazing to me how little respect some people still give to Jerry Hughes and his pass rushing skills. He may not be worth the money he gets to us, but to say that the draft and FA are full of guys like him is insane to me.

Edited by Mark80

I am fine with letting Hughes go if we sign two top tier players. Or sign Hughes and sign another top tier player. We have the opportunity to bring in two players. I think we will see a lot in the first couple of days of FA and who we target with the cap room and roster we have. It should be interesting. It could be so many different positions we target. I do think for sure if we sign two top tier guys one will be a player on D.

Spiller walks. Sign Hughes.

Y not sigh Huston over Hughes? If people are willing to give up 10-11m per year for Hughes, y not spend 15mpy to get a huge upgrade. He is a olb. Not a DE, and he fits our scheme better than Hughes. Add 2 players that are all pro types to this D would be insane. And Revis and Gilmore have the potential not to be best cb duo in the league but best cb duo of ALL TIME!!if Hughes gets huge benefits from playing with that line, think what Huston would do in the same spot. He would put up career #s.we could shut down any team. And with whaley drafting for offence only, we should still upgrade our offence. I Think they are going to stick with what they have on the. O-Line. If that's true my plan makes even more cents.

Houston, sure.

I think he was saying it would make us incredibly unique in our talent while your discussing how to build a typical good defense....

Y not sigh Huston over Hughes? If people are willing to give up 10-11m per year for Hughes, y not spend 15mpy to get a huge upgrade. He is a olb. Not a DE, and he fits our scheme better than Hughes. Add 2 players that are all pro types to this D would be insane. And Revis and Gilmore have the potential not to be best cb duo in the league but best cb duo of ALL TIME!!if Hughes gets huge benefits from playing with that line, think what Huston would do in the same spot. He would put up career #s.we could shut down any team. And with whaley drafting for offence only, we should still upgrade our offence. I Think they are going to stick with what they have on the. O-Line. If that's true my plan makes even more cents.

Law of diminishing returns my man regarding Houston. He's nasty, no doubt, but that extra 5 or 6 million can go a long way somewhere else and be more valuable than the difference between Houston and Jerry (or someone else and possibly a 10M or so difference).